5S-FE Swap

Killtodie

I have a low mileage 5S bottom end sitting in my garage I got from a friend for free. Thinking about swapping it for current 3S. My engine right now is burning oil and maybe coolant. It currently needs a timing kit. I have leaky cam shaft seals and crank seals. So its also leaking oil. So I need a timing kit and a gasket kit, so like $250ish or so. Maybe a new headgasket if its burning coolant, I sent my oil out for analysis, so that will tell me that.

For less money I can get just ARP studs, a new headgasket and put a perfectly working engine in that needs nothing serviced on it. I hear that the 5F and 3S are essentially the same blocks and do not need anything else done other than a turbo head from my ST165.

Is this a straight swap? Do I need anything custom done, such as mounts, lines, grinding, different senders/harness?

Killtodie

I've searched, found some info but not exactly what I'm doing. Most of it has been non alltrac swaps or 5S into Camreys or something

phattyduck

You need to get the water/coolant passages right, the internals right, the timing right (extra deck height affects timing), transfer case clearance, turbo oil/water plumbing and probably a few other things.

-Charlie