Rear brake help

mkchris89

So just did the rotor and pads on my rear end test drove it about 4 to 5 miles figured out i had a stuck slide pin lubed it up fixed. Now have a wavy grinding sound could I have Warped the rotor in 5 miles? Or I also found that my hand brake has the half inch spring with cap that holds the shoe to the inside of the car is gone and the shoe is sitting angled to the outside of the car could that be my grinding?

I did take a grinder to part of the shoe that I thought looked like it was touching the rotor slapped it all back together and still making wavy grinding sound so im going to go take it apart again to have a look ill take some pics in case anyone wants to see what im talking about.

Long shot, I might just have to buy a hand brake assembly kit because it needs it and go ahead and turn the rotor see if that does it but any advice is welcomed

edit - I thought i was in handling and braking forum sorry can a mod move this?

Awesome-Trac

Funny I have the same problem on my GTS after changing my rotors to sloted/cross drilled with new pads, it started making a weird noise as well like its consistly grinding on something so I changed it back to stock and it went away.

mkchris89

Yeah im almost positive its the hand brake still just because the spring that should be there isnt lol so ill probably just get a handbrake rebuild kit.

I just think its funny with the old rotor it didnt do this but maybe the old owner neglected it and it wore it down far enough not to touch.

Meenya

I bought a kit recently from Napa that came with all the springs and adjusters, don't have the part handy but I'm sure if you give them make, year and model they will find it for you.

gearhead313

Take the e-brake out of the equation. It should be fine even if the pad isnt held by that spring thing. The caliper should push the pads to the rotor and thats it. The rotors wont warp after a few miles unless the brakes are hanging up and getting super hot, which definitely check! Sometimes if the e-brake lever is actuated, it wont let the pads return fully after the brakes are released.

brutekiller787

Pads on the ebrake? We have drum in hat, shoes for the e brake, pads for the foot brake. It is possible if the ebrake shoe was cocked in it's bracket, or lug nuts were improperly torqued, that the rotor could warp, causing a "wavy grinding noise.

E Brake appliction does not move the pads in the rear caliper though.

underscore

mkchris89":1x3yx8r9 said:
Yeah im almost positive its the hand brake still just because the spring that should be there isnt lol so ill probably just get a handbrake rebuild kit.

I just think its funny with the old rotor it didnt do this but maybe the old owner neglected it and it wore it down far enough not to touch.

If you're missing the handbrake springs it's likely rubbing the rotor. My shoes budge out quite a bit with the stupid spring missing.

mkchris89

That's what I'm thinking really only thing that makes sense. I'll have to get one of those kits plus if nothing else it needed to be done

mkchris89

4 hold down springs $10, 4 pins $10, and 8 hold down cup $20, never have to rebuild the damn hand brake ever again PRICELESS :lol: (I hope)

god I love these cars :bangshead: lol

underscore

I probably should have bought everything new but that can wait til next year. Alternately at least the pins for those springs were used in a lot of other cars, but digging them out at the wreckers would be a pain.

mkchris89

yeah I figured might as well just get new but hope autozone has the shoes for cheaper then stealership I think the price was like 40 bucks per shoe something crazzzyyy!