no spark

zak062

Hello gentleman. Its been a while since ive been on here. Long story short, I had to store my 165 for about 3 years. I took all the proper precautions when I did. Now she just does not want tovstart. I have no spark at all coming out ofvthe coil. I have power going to it. I just bought and replaced it with a denso toyota coil. My rotor, plugs, wires, and capv all have less than 100 miles on them. So why the hell is no power coming out of the coil. Thanks in advance.

GT4_DRED

If its a factory coil, make sure it's grounded to the chassis. I strapped mine to the strut brace once and it wouldn't fire, but did once I bolted it to the brace.

Awesome-Trac

Make sure to check the plug connected from the alternator bracket to the chassis, mine actually melted and never got a spark until it removed and properly replaced with a non plug type ground cable

zak062

I just ran a ground from the coil to the coil to firewall as suggested. Still no spark. Ill check the alternator plug.

zak062

Update. I have proper grounding. I read through the bgb and after runing all the tests. It says to replace the igniter. Thats the final step. So does anyone have a igniter.

warracer

before changing the igniter, check your rotor/cap? The car has been sitting for 3 years, it is possible that some moisture got stuck in the assembly and completely ruined the contacts, seen that before. So much resistance due to the corrosion, no fire whatsoever... And to simply diagnose an igniter, just crank the engine and if the tachometer moves, its fine. If it stays flat, change it

zak062

Update. I bit the bullet and bought a new ignitor. Still no spark coming out of the coil and the tach still does not move. Any suggestions?

warracer

try to check the continuity of the connections? you may have some kind of dead end in your ignition circuit somewhere, it can be a pain to diagnose though... The igniter trick worked out fine for me... :doh:

zak062

Heres a nive little video. Notice how the tach does not bounce. As well as no check engine light coming on. Which is definatly weird since I always had one on due to removing the air to water intercool for a air to air.

I apologise for it being upside down. Smart phones arnt so smart
player.swf

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 34f460.mp4

zak062

Yea. At least I have another car to dd. It really bugs me that the check engine light isnt on at all. Any idea what would cause that?

Tecker185

Check the distributor, if the ecu does not see the engine turning over it will not turn the pump on. My money is on the distributor.

zak062

Tecker184":2f7o9v72 said:
Check the distributor, if the ecu does not see the engine turning over it will not turn the pump on. My money is on the distributor.

You owe me money then. I just the +b and fp terminals on the diag port. And she fired right up.

donte88st165

man that crazy cause im still having the same problem with my car. I did all that and change ecu and distrubutor and still nothing. even did +b and fp. still nothing! wanna try ignitor next. anymore ideas? don't mean to post jack, but just was jealous those same things didnt help me. :cry: lol

zak062

donte88st165":pzbizqqk said:
man that crazy cause im still having the same problem with my car. I did all that and change ecu and distrubutor and still nothing. even did +b and fp. still nothing! wanna try ignitor next. anymore ideas? don't mean to post jack, but just was jealous those same things didnt help me. :cry: lol

Its all good man. Im guessing you dont have spark. What about fuel? Does your check engine light come on with ignition on?