Stock Rebuild for my 88

brutekiller787

I bought another belt and got a few other things for the car while it sits at the school at I can't work on it.

I finished making by power steering bypass line, basically the two lines of the power steering system looped, so water and crap doesn't get in.

I also modified my waste gate a little so I could actually used it. The way the bracket sat I could not fit the actuator because the trans was in the way. Well I got a flat bracket and threw my actuator rod in a vise and threaded more of the rod with a die, simple enough. Now I need to cut the rod at an appropriate point dictated by the way it will mount. Basically now I will have a working waste gate.

Found my vband for the exhaust, which I thought was lost. So that's a plus.

And I bought myself some pl adhesive for the motor mounts and diff mount. Should have done the front and rear while they were out but oh well.

Hopefully I can get in to jump the car and bring it to my apt so I can work a bit more

brutekiller787

So expect an update tomorrow as the bays are open at school. I'm going to be:

Rerunning intercooler piping
Hooking up exhaust
Fashioning my waste gate bracket
Rebleeding coolant system and actually adding coolant
Changing break in oil to normal 5w30
Fitting mud flaps
Hooking up boost/vacuum gauge
Put on my tensionerless alternator belt
Rotate and fill tires
Change rear diff fluid, since everything else is fresh
Add rear wheel spacers and raise/lower car to suit mudflap height

And many other little things that I'm probably missing but hopefully I will add it here before I forget. Pic heavy tomorrow as the girlfriend is coming along.

brutekiller787

So an update. I found that my fuel line was leaking at the pulsation dampener so I ordered new crush washers. Also didn't get the timing done but I am going to tow it home to time it. Still lots to do

brutekiller787

Alright, quite an update today. Finally got her home to work on her, got tons of things. FMIC piping is ran to the intercooler with my custom brackets bolting it to the lower core support so that's good. Waste gate bracket has been successfully worked out with enough clearance for everything. Not sure what boost is set to right now but it will do. Put coolant, new rear diff fluid in, working on getting the break in oil out of it but it hasn't really ran long enough to need to be taken out. I'm going to check can and crank timing again because it just doesn't seem to run right. From experience it seems like it's either a vacuum leak or my cam timing. so I'm not sure. But I will take some pics in like 15 minutes and post them. So stay tuned

EDIT: here are the pics

brutekiller787

OK guys and gals, I needed some diagnosis help. Finally got the old girl to idle on it's own, with some convincing via idle control screw. haven't checked ignition timing yet but it doesn't get any better from full retard to full advance except some occasional popping from the exhaust. Anyway, the engine shakes like crazy, feels like the can timing is still off but this is the 4th time I've done it, I know its right. All marks line up just like they should, so I'm thinking it its either ignition timing or a vacuum leak.

I drove over to the gas station and it seemed to lack power. Vacuum was around 15in/hg at 800rpm or as close as I could get. I felt around most of the couplers and no sucking or anything from there. Car bogs everywhere so I am almost sure its a vacuum leak. I'm going to try and take a video when I get back home so you guys can see and hear what's going on. I just really hope its not something serious but it usually isn't with these cars. I'm going to check my vacuum lines coming off the intake manifold but we'll see.

brutekiller787

After messing with the idle screw I took off the vacuum line to the FPR and covered the barb and it seemed to make it idle lower, indicating a richer mixture correct? So that means FPR is working and I checked fuel pressure when I had it in the shop putting the engine in and it read about 30 psi with a little spraying from the pulsation dampener where I had bad crush washers. So that would seem to me decent fuel pressure.

Initial compression tests with a dying battery say that compression is good on all cylinders. So hmm. I'm going to try and change spark plugs because they were pretty black. Wires dont look the greatest either. Will update with pictures of gauge readings and the plugs when I can hook up a jumper.

brutekiller787

Cylinder 1 compression and spark plug

IMG_20130708_121026_zpse0ee3a24.jpg

IMG_20130708_121045_zps26cf284b.jpg

Cylinder 2 compression and spark plug

IMG_20130708_121149_zps99590993.jpg

IMG_20130708_121203_zpsba2ed957.jpg

Cylinder 3 compression and spark plug

IMG_20130708_121306_zps962b57be.jpg

IMG_20130708_121320_zps3d7480b4.jpg

Cylinder 4 compression and spark plug

IMG_20130708_121429_zps96763f2f.jpg

IMG_20130708_121447_zps6dd6006a.jpg

Pretty sure they are in the right order. You guys tell me... Leak down test coming soon...

88gt4DE

I actually had to drive mine and experience the problem and then look at gauge when problem was occuring to tell for sure ... mine ended up being clogged filter with rust from rusty tank inside. Have you changed the fuel filter ?

brutekiller787

I have not. Might be a good idea though. I was hoping to get all the old gas out first then change it just to be safe but my buddy has one just sitting for his ae86 so maybe I'll try it.

New spark plugs helped a little, still has the one cylinder I can hear. Maybe exhaust leak or vacuum leak

88gt4DE

Cant hurt for sure and its an easy change. Did mine and it was like night and day after. Kinda tricked me cause I replaced it when I did the engine and then slowly my performance went in the toilet and I went over all kinds of other crap since I had changed filter already to find out that's what the problem was. After I pulled tank and saw inside I knew exactly what problem was ....

brutekiller787

I feel like an idiot but happy it wasn't so many other much worse things. Turned out that I don't know which way our distributor turns. So cylinders 1 and 4 were correct but 2 and 3 were switched. A teacher at the school who dabbles with PFM (pure f ing magic) helped me feel like a fool because of it. But I appreciate it because I drove it all around yesterday, even taking it on a short trip 20 miles away and it was fine.

So onto the next step. Boost leak testing and axles omg axles. I never thought axles could make the car thump so hard

UtahSleeper

Glad it was something simple!

Now is a good time to take care of all the maintenance crap since you dont have the cost of a motor.