Doing it right this time around...

STWagon

ok, so I've made project threads here before, but none of them really went any where as I wasn't always next to my All Trac to do the things that I wanted to do it.

Now, I am employed and driving it daily; something I've been wanting to do for some time now. Since my current situation allows me access to proper equipment, my list of issues should grow smaller quite quickly. Allow me to recap my history with my vehicle.

I've had the vehicle since the beginning of junior year in high school. I bought it in November and started working on it shortly there after. I was able to use the lifts and other equipment at the body shop my family owns, which made all of the work pretty easy even for someone like me who at the time did not have a very good understanding of the vehicle.

So I started with body work and that was my first mistake: I wanted to make it run better but my father insisted on taking care of the body as it was in pretty dire need of some attention. so that's what happened. the car was stripped down to basically a bare shell. everything except the motor came out/off the car at one point or another during the process.

when I first brought it home

it was rough, had hail damage, rust etc. I did all the work on it minus the heavy painting.

right after coming home from the body shop

and this is what it looks like now

this past weekend I finally drove it all the way to Carbondale for the first time. With a shot O2 sensor, a failing knock sensor and burning oil on hard decal I made it. 334 miles on one tank of gas and I could've gone for about 40-50 miles more.

currently, the car has the following modifications:
FMIC with 2' piping
Full exhaust
Supra CT26
some poly bushings
and that's about it. I have to address some things before I am able to begin the modding process. I am looking to make the car into a much more reliable and comfortable daily driver, something I don't have to worry about much more than fluid and regular maintenance items.
what I have planned so far:
Replace knock sensor with ATS GM replacement
Oil pan gasket
New O2
Valve stem seals
Head gasket (possible)
Diff cushion
Shock mounts
and as for further modifications I am going to be working with Level7 Motorsports here in Marion. The guy who runs the shop, Jesse, is also a graduate from the SIUC auto program, so it's good to have him on board for this project. further mods include:
BC Coilovers
new IC piping and core
redesign of the straight intake
re-do over axle portions of exhaust
wire clean up and tuck
MegaSquirt PNP

I am not really shooting for any huge numbers, I'd be happy with around 250-280. Ill be updating this as often as I can. Work should begin this weekend if I can get my car in the shop. Currently thought I am having a low idle issue. It was fine last night but come this morning it was idling low at approximately 600rpms. It doesn't stumble or surge which makes me think electrical issue, so I am going to look at my TPMS and maybe install my spare throttle body to see if that will change anything. It may be as simple as an air leak so I will also be looking into that tonight.

STWagon

and i'll be taking some more pics of the car when I get home. I couldn't drive it back from lunch because it died right as I was pulling into my apartment lot. which kind of weirded me out because the steering got heavy and my brakes were all mushy.

STWagon

Did my oil pan last night. It may still be leaking but I have a hunch it's coming from a different part of the motor.

In other news, this morning after having let the FIPG cure all night I put oil in it and now it runs like total dog shit. It seemingly developed a huge vacuum leak. It's a huge pain to drive now, it just wants to die all the time. It doesn't make any sense because I didn't touch anything besides my oil pan. So there is logically no reason for it to be like this.

So tonight what will likely happen, I will pull my intake and stuff apart and see if I can figure out why my car develops vac leaks like no ones business.

In other other news, I have the ATS knock sensor coming and I have an appointment at level 7 motorsports to get some other stuff looked at.

STWagon

so I suspect that my MAF may be on the way out. I had tested it a while ago, and it checked out. but now since my car has been acting funny it seems like ill be looking through a range of things to remedy my issue.

in other news, my vehicle decided it was a good idea to start profusely leaking oil. im almost 100% its coming from under the turbo around the oil cooler thing. woo. hoo.

im going to see if I can get the vehicle into Level 7 tomorrow morning as the longer I wait, the more it will ultimately cost me.

in other other news, my knock sensor should be here today and I have ordered a blox vacuum manifold to get my vacuum system redone.

ST165Sleeper

STWagon":36pkdmno said:
so I suspect that my MAF may be on the way out. I had tested it a while ago, and it checked out. but now since my car has been acting funny it seems like ill be looking through a range of things to remedy my issue.

in other news, my vehicle decided it was a good idea to start profusely leaking oil. im almost 100% its coming from under the turbo around the oil cooler thing. woo. hoo.

im going to see if I can get the vehicle into Level 7 tomorrow morning as the longer I wait, the more it will ultimately cost me.

in other other news, my knock sensor should be here today and I have ordered a blox vacuum manifold to get my vacuum system redone.

It looks like you have your priorities in order now. As for the oil leak i feel ya there my oil pan was my primary oil leak on my 165 and recently tracked down 2 more leaks 1 under the oil filter bracket and one coming from the oil cooler. I suggest doing both while your in there the "o" rings are only like 10 bucks all together. I would wait on replacing the MAF/AFM until you have your vacuum issue sorted. My car had been acting rather unruley when cold and it turns out I had a vacuum leak. After the vacuum leak was sorted shes been fine.

STWagon

yeah, ive got the blox manifold to install and hopefully that will simplify my vac system and make it easier to track stuff down in the future, as well as being a remedy for my current issue.

but before all that, I'm going to have to replace my clutch master and slave. i tried driving my car today and wouldn't ya know? my master cylinder is dry. cool. so i'm ordering Exedy OEM replacements from RockAuto.

also got my car back from Level 7 Motorsports, and I have to say im thoroughly impressed by the work. he used the base plates from the old solid line and welded -AN fittings on them and made a custom line for my feed. so no more leaking.

directly after doing the clutch stuff, I am going to be going to GT4Racing and scooping a front and rear trans mount and diff cushion. I cant stand how my car sounds all the time during driving....clunk.......clunk. and ill be picking up new strut mounts to narrow down my suspension noise. its a weird clunking, but I cant find anything that would cause it aside from the mounts. we shall see. other wise running well and good. made sort of a plane with Jesse from Level 7, he'll be redoing my exhaust, intercooler and intake piping. he'll also be doing my wire tuck and my vacuum system overhaul if I cant figure it out. after that hell be helping with my head build and he'll also be eventually helping me fit a new turbo, thinking about an S15 DBB t28 which is equivalent to a GT2864 or 71 i cant remember off hand.

so watch this spot, it should get interesting.