Radiator fan wiring

Landon

Hey, I did some searching on this, but didn't find much. I know the best way is to get an aftermarket fan, but at this point funds don't allow. Anyway, I put my stock fan in front of my new mishimoto radiator: aka flipped it and reversed the pins on the plug so it rotates in the opposite direction of stock. It is working as it should, pushing air across the radiator. Problem I have is that it is always on. Does anyone know how the fan is controlled? If you could give me some insight as to how to get it to just be on when it is supposed to be that would be awesome. Thanks!

phattyduck

Is your AC removed? If so, you need to put a jumper in the AC high pressure switch connector to turn off the fans.

And by always on, I assume you mean that it is on any time the key is in the ON position, right?

-Charlie

819_ay

Mine is doing the same, and yes anytime the key is on the ON position...not to steal your thread , but i have the same problem...i have the ac removed

phattyduck

819_ay":38rrz197 said:
Mine is doing the same, and yes anytime the key is on the ON position...not to steal your thread , but i have the same problem...i have the ac removed
Well, that's what's causing your problem. I don't know the specifics on the ST185 (to point to to the exact spot of the plug), but it is probably (one of) the plug(s) that went to the A/C Dryer (small, two wire oval) that need to be shorted together when deleting the A/C.

-Charlie

Landon

Yeah key on, run position. With ac removed, even the rad fan will run if you don't jump that connector? I know which one you're talking about, so I'll jump it and see what happens and let ya know. Thank you

Landon

That's what it was. Remembered I pulled the jumper wire when I was doing work. Thanks for helping figure it out!

phattyduck

Landon":2hq2rrak said:
That's what it was. Remembered I pulled the jumper wire when I was doing work. Thanks for helping figure it out!
Good to know. And yes, both fans run together at all times even though one is called the radiator fan and one is called the condenser fan.

-Charlie

alltracman78

What you should have done is gotten a Celica AC fan, like the one you already have.
It's designed to push air.
The radiator fan is designed to pull air, and rotating it backwards [switching the 2 wires] means it doesn't work very well [the blades don't push as much air].
You would have gotten stock reliability cheaper than an aftermarket fan, and had the blades turning the right way.

sosia

i have the same problem but i didnt find where is the connector for make the shorted together..
somebody can help me?
somebody have an immagine of the connector?

thank you!

phattyduck

sosia":38orzkek said:
i have the same problem but i didnt find where is the connector for make the shorted together..
somebody can help me?
somebody have an immagine of the connector?

thank you!
I don't have an ST185, so somebody else should confirm, but it will look like this:

8864520040.jpg

(well, that's what was removed, the plug mates with that)

And should be located right near the firewall where the AC lines enter the cabin.

-Charlie

MWP

Landon":1xudb5iz said:
aka flipped it and reversed the pins on the plug so it rotates in the opposite direction of stock. It is working as it should, pushing air across the radiator

That wont work so well.
The blades are shaped to "dig" the air when running in the normal direction.
Running in the other direction, it'll only move a fraction of the normal amount of air.