Stock Rebuild for my 88

brutekiller787

Axles for the front is definitely top of the list though, the more I drive the worse it gets. Its to the point where I am shaking the car apart from about 20 to 35 mph

brutekiller787

well i am dumbfounded again by the ole' girl today. turns out 90% of my vibration was front my loose driveshaft bolts :doh: the driveshaft luckily came off at not too fast of a speed to cause too much damage, although i did get a nice thumbsized hole in the through my shift tunnel. that's going to hurt more than anything. slightly bent an ear on the driveshaft flange, but i was able to put grade 10 bolts with lock washers and blue locktite so hopefully this won't happen again.

otherwise after it was fixed, along with my exhaust gasket while we had it up, it drives great, still slight vibration front the front and clicking in the axles, but nothing like before. still have a small vacuum port open so it's not boosting quite right and the idle goes a little low before it catches itself, but otherwise it runs pretty decent.

slapping myself in the head while going to bed again. at least i get to drive it tomorrow

brutekiller787

Eh, its not that bad and I can weld a small piece in there and respray some sealant.

But today, I had another "Duh, your thinking too hard" moments. My clutch had been feeling off lately, it felt as though there was a dead spot in the travel, then the clutch would come in, grabbing barely off the floor. Well after class today, I could not get it in gear. So I had to walk home 3 miles in boots and heavy jeans, me not being in shape, this proved quite a task. But it gave me time to think. When my girlfriend and I went back to school, I asked her to get in and feel the clutch as I watched the slave cylinder. Sure enough, I saw the slave cylinder twisting on one bolt through most of the pedal, then barely pushing the fork at all. Duh. Threw a bolt in and good to go

Now I need to find the source of rattling around my intercooler and scraping on the driver front wheel over bumps

88gt4DE

Rattle around intercooler doesn't sound good. Get on that one ... If its the wheel well scrap , mine does it too with 17inch wheels ... not a huge deal if its bolted in place ...

brutekiller787

Well some stuff figured out. Rattling at higher speeds is from the plastic fender arches on the wheel. Scraping on right turns is something in the wheel. Only happens on real weight transfer, not on red lights or low speed. So I'm not sure maybe I will raise it a couple threads or so. But I got the meet in cillicothe or however it's spelled. So yup

brutekiller787

Had a great time at the chillicothe meet Saturday had a couple minor problems on the way down. First my clutch was feeling off again, so I suspected the slave cylinder once again. However, when my friend pushed the clutch like before, I was blown away to see the entire engine and trans separating from each other. Yikes tightened the bolts and good to go

Also I had a slight water leak from the oil cooler water lines. The waste gate had rubbed through the hose. Cut the barb in half and threw a bolt in with jb weld on both and no more leaks. Ghetto but oh well

brutekiller787

It feels completely different. I almost feel comfortable taking it 7.5 hours home to NY in a few weeks. I will be monitoring coolant and most other bolts. Along with maybe changing the axles out. Unfortunately they did not come with the stub shafts already. Damn

brutekiller787

Well since I sold the Alltrac in October I think, I have missed it terribly. So as my schooling is nearing an end, plans are to buy it back from the new owner in buffalo, add 1000cc injectors, aeromotive 340 or walbro 400 fuel pump, and megasquirt to max out the stock pistons. After that a 5s build may ensue.

I have been keeping myself busy with jack (buffalohunter7421) in dayton helping him with a rebuild for now and a 5s build soon. But I miss working on my own stuff. Lease cars are so boring.

Hoping to have it for bear mountain in October. Hoping...

brutekiller787

Yup sold it to a guy in buffalo, i think he posted here once. He basically hasn't driven it since he's in school. He wants 3k for it now, I sold it for 3500. As soon as I'm done with school and have a job, I'm taking out a loan to get it back.

On a slightly unrelated note, we had a career fair and my favorite employer builds the short blocks for AMS performance. They are called ERL performance. They seemed to really like me. Hopefully I go there to work.

brutekiller787

Long time since I posted last. Still looking to get my Celica back but the guy who bought it hasn't returned any of my calls or texts. So if anyone knows anyone who just got a red st165, number 5929, let me know I would love to get in touch with them. Thanks