Whiteline quick release bolts

CMS-GT4

I was pricing the parts at mcmaster and it seems each bolt would be $12 anyway. So this is looking like a better price already. I will get a set for the front, but I might consider a set for the rear if I never need to haul anything.

phattyduck

I have those on the rear strut tower brace of my WRX wagon. Very helpful for when I need to carry bigger/more stuff inside the car. I don't think I'd put one on the front brace though - If I'm in there working, I already have tools out.

-Charlie

klue

phattyduck":ho3j5vw7 said:
I have those on the rear strut tower brace of my WRX wagon. Very helpful for when I need to carry bigger/more stuff inside the car. I don't think I'd put one on the front brace though - If I'm in there working, I already have tools out.

-Charlie

ditto

MARLON1211

Yes I know sometimes its hard to put oil when the bars are in the way. Well i can always use a funnel.
Here's mine.

CMS-GT4

I am going to put mine on front as well. Turns out if I want them on the rear, I have to cut more plastic.

underscore

In that case probably easier to buy a couple cheap wrenches and just keep them in the glovebox/spare tire well.

phattyduck

MARLON1211":1dq1xnl7 said:
Yes I know sometimes its hard to put oil when the bars are in the way. Well i can always use a funnel.
Here's mine.
I use the top of a bottle cut off as my oil funnel. It just about screws into the oil cap opening on all my cars, and I used it on all of them (Subaru, Mini, 3s-gte Camry...). It just fits under the strut bar on the Camry and is just enough to get be able to reliably pour and not spill. In an emergency (road trip and low on oil), I am just careful and use a couple paper towels to protect the engine from spills.

-Charlie

CMS-GT4

The problem with the bike bolts is their diameter is much smaller than the whiteline bolt. My whiteline bolts have almost no wiggle room, and I assume its because they act as part of the structural rigidity of the strut bar. I don't think friction alone on the side would hold it tight as it would have to compress the sides of the bracket against the bar to prevent any movement. I don't think the materials have enough give in them for that.

phattyduck

Insanity-74":2lutxv2b said:
They look like bike seat post quick release clamps. You can buy them for a couple of £ off eBay.

Here's an example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150435318215? ... 80&ff14=54

Just cut them down to size if needed.

Your local bike shop will probably sell them for not a lot of money, certainly cheaper than the white line price.
The auction you listed is for the M6 version. They have an M8 that *might* work. The Whiteline bolts are more like M10. The bike parts wouldn't measure up for total strength, but it may or may not be needed.

I am seriously considering bike seat post quick releases for other projects though... :wink:

-Charlie