1967 Saab Alltrac. . . aka, The Slaab

Sluice Box Hero

working on getting a 1967 Saab 96 body on my 1988 alltrac chassis. ill just post some pics, and if theres interest ill get more in

44l7.jpg

0m5k.jpg

hhgw.jpg

vhrm.jpg

6puk.jpg

72uf.jpg

8kkn.jpg

Callen

Sluice Box Hero

ya, i owned the car a few years ago, and sold it to a kid in the next town. i was riding by one day and saw it sitting out in front of a shop wrecked, called the kid and bought it back, tore off the sheetmetal and it started up and drove fine.

as of right now im selling the whole interior, its grey, and in OK shape. anyone whos local is more than willing to come by and grab what they want. 530-321-99O5, call/text me, its located in Chico Ca.

not much done on it today, been cleaning shop and organizing my tools for the tear down on the celica. figuring it will take me a few days to get it stripped down.

can anyone send me in the direction of what it all needed to make the engine run? im going to use a painless style chassis harness, all after market gauges, a push button start, etc, so all i really need is 12vv KO power to the ECU, KAM 12v source, fuel pump relay, and starter relay, i cant think of anything else. does anyone have a wiring diagram for these cars?

Callen

underscore

While normally I'd hate to see an Alltrac get cut up, since this one would likely have been stripped apart anyways this seems like a good way to save at least part of it.

Sluice Box Hero

ive been checking out this page

http://www.build-threads.com/tag/chassis-swap/

and this build for inspiration.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=449226

i got the idea from the Neo Bros Saab 96 build using a new 9-3 for the chassis, where they went all out, im shooting for a more "budget" mind set.

i started stripping the front of the alltrac. im going to get it down to bare essentials. no AC, no PS, nothing. im thinking about ditching all chassis harnesses. i noticed there is one harness that runs the engine, and then 2 others that run through each fender well. while the ones that run in the fender well are critical to get power to the ECU harness, im pretty sure i can ditch all that. the main one i need is the one under the wiper motor on the pass side. thats the brains of the operation.

Sluice Box Hero

its been in the high 90s all week, so not much has happened to say the least. i have today off, but i have a laundry list of other household stuff to do, but ill bust out an hour or so in it. its tedious pulling the interior and exterior bits and pieces. the saab was cake, just cut, strip and rip and i was done. theres more wires in the kick panel on the trac than there were in the whole saab.

Sluice Box Hero

bit the bullet today since it was pretty nice out and i have a day off. decided it was worth it to take the doors off and chop the top since i was headed to the scrap yard today so that started the ball rolling.

ive stripped everything except the ECU harness and the under hood fuse block. but i think im going to ditch everything and go standalone. i know a guy locally whos deep into the MS stuff and he can help a bunch in getting this thing rocking. im thinking about a TD04-19T with a 6cm housing. . . .since i have one laying around . . . . LS2 coils, delete on those stupid intake butterflys, FMIC, and just an all around clean up of everything. under the hood. no AC and no PS will clean up a lot of stuff too.

anyway, heres a mostly naked alltrac. ill strip it down a little more this weekend and hopfull start fitting the saab body on it.

b72f.jpg

y3dv.jpg

anvl.jpg

Sluice Box Hero

well, i got the body on the chassis and tack welded in place. im going to order a sheet of 18ga tomorrow and start patching in the pieces and cleaning up the rest of the hack and cut stuff. probably be a good week or two of just patching and reworking the metal into its places. then ill get the doors hung, the hatch back on and the fenders on and trimmed. the front is going to be a challange, im hoping the radiator will fit behind the grill so i dont have to run it in the rear of the car. im debating on leaving the coolant to air intercooler for clearance up front, or building a front bumper to hold/hide the front mount. its all dependant on how much room is there once the grill and front fenders are on.

anyway, heres some pics of the body on the chassis. its ruff, but thats how it starts.

ejlz.jpg

81sj.jpg

yfsq.jpg

9ong.jpg

and one since i cut the rest of the rear inner fenders and hung the fenders for a seconds just to see if the wheelbase was acceptable.

5e8g.jpg

and what it looked like last week

44l7.jpg

also got a free set of these:
2014-Scion-tC-Wheels.jpg

2014 TC wheels. 18x7.5 ET39. the pattern is 5x114.3, but i need spacers to fit widers wheels anyway, so ill just get some 25mm adapters.

___Scott___

First of all: Wow, you've busy. Very cool!

Second, how did I not know about:
http://www.build-threads.com/

Very cool website

And I can see how this thread is some serious inspiration:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=449226

That's a very cool project, SAAB 96 on most of a Miata chassis. (Ummm yeah, I've spent way too much time checking out those sites.)

On another note, you clearly have the skills to have fixed the ST165. The damage it had wasn't that bad. But this is a very cool way for it to live on. Much better than the ST165 with a Chevy big block in it.

Sluice Box Hero

i could have fixed the alltrac, but i got it for the project alone, i wanted a car that was sound, but cheap, and the wreck was perfect. all the stuff was good, but the body looked terrible, so it was an easy buy.

and, ya, that website is pretty cool.

UtahSleeper

Very cool. Love the project. 1 question. You going to lower the front of the saab body or is there clearance issues? Just asking cause it seems like the windshield could be lower to where the trac had it before.