ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

dragstang86

Joe Rasmussen":3a77tt69 said:
Where can i pick one of these ASI radiators at ?

I would like to know as well. They don't have them listed on the website and I emailed them but they didn't respond.

underscore

You can eBay it, they're effectively the same but the fins aren't quite as nice (they don't go fully top to bottom). Also I don't know if it was fluke or not, but the rad cap that came with my eBay one went bunk after a couple months.

temperacerguy

Here is the review of the ASI autopwr radiator I received as part of the group buy

Alright...

I will start off with my overall impression... I am EXTREMELY IMPRESSED with this as a $150 radiator. Hell, I would be impressed if this was a $225 radiator. It is however NOT a $400 radiator, but would take very very very little to be of the quality of a $400 radiator...

Now Here's where I am going to be critical.

1: There is a slight twist to my radiator. I would guess 1-2mm from corner to corner. I am guessing this is due to being welded out of a jig, and the welding slightly warped it. This will NOT affect performance, and when fitting one may have to slightly lever it into place... but I will doubt this will cause ANY problems whatsoever
2: There is slight contamination on some of the welds. This is always at the last puddle, so I am assuming that the welder didn't post purge. Again, this light surface contamination will not cause any leaks or performance problem... and can be cleaned up with a scotch brite pad
3: ultra small bends in some of the fins... now here's where I am being a picky asshole. They are not even visible when looking at them from the side... only visible when viewed from top down.
4: Hand cut brackets... the aluminum brackets were obviously cut on Shear, then a band saw, they are not laser or waterjet cut. On one of mine, Chang must have started the cut, then went "Oh shit" and moved a bit and started over.
5: This was aluminum MIG welded by hand. Now, let me say, Chang did a very good job on this, but it's not a robotic, or professional TIG "stack of dimes" look

OK, now, I am not saying that any of the above will cause any performance drop at all. I am just mentioning them as a reason this is not a $400 radiator. I am very impressed with this radiator and very happy with my purchase. It's 100% aluminum, and will last the life of the car. It also has small mounting holes on the side that I can tie a shroud into, it also came with a 1.1 BAR radiator cap, so I am happy with that.

Now, there are a few things I will do, and suggest you do too before installation.

There are rubber O-rings on the drain plug, and the additional little port on the bottom. Mine are pretty dry, so I would recommend putting a light lubricant on it... silicone or white lithium. Also, (and this is because I am a paranoid asshole... I would put some thread sealant on the little plug at the bottom of the radiator (BTW, mine came only hand tight, so make sure to tighten that down.)

Also, Tape a piece of cardboard over both sides of the fins... This will protect the fins during installation. Put the radiator in the bottom mounts... lean it back, and pull off the front cardboard... them mount the top mounts. Hook up the radiator hoses, then remove the back cardboard.

Here's the pictures promised:

The engine side:
IMG_00181.jpg

The front side:
IMG_00201.jpg

Chang's bandsaw cut "oops"
IMG_00221.jpg

Drain plug, and additional "port" for temp switch
IMG_00191.jpg

Light weld contamination:
IMG_00211.jpg

1.1 BAR radiator cap:
IMG_00231.jpg

Now, again, I am being ultra critical I am VERY impressed with this radiator group purchase...

Thanks!

Now here's the contact information for ASI autopwr... The final price on the group buy radiators was $150 shipped. I am sure if you call/E-mail them, they will be able to (if not offer you the group buy price) at least offer you a deal.

Customer Service Email: autospeedca@hotmail.com
Customer Service Phone: 403-400-0896

Hope I helped

celigts

Got some pics of the last group buy for these rads.

Had no fitment issues what so ever. The only thing I had to deal with was when I mounted the fans I essentially wanted them to both push into the bay but an issue with the stock dp.

We went with the 56mm I believe and the fan just did not wanna fit there. It is a possibility if you had a different dp but can't confirm that.

Here are pics of it with the fans how I wanted it and how it fit.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336169217.429422.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336169217.429422.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 5,633
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336169291.996193.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336169291.996193.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 5,633
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336169351.609012.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336169351.609012.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 5,633

YAK ALL TRAC

Anyone know if they still sell these? or is there an alternative now? I have seached and cannot find this radiator for an alltrac on ebay at all. I have a 1988 Alltrac that needs a radiator. is there another repro radiator with the outlet for the hose to the turbo?

PLEASE HELP!

CMS-GT4

Anyone know what the plug size is? I lost my plug and need to get a new one. I emailed them, but no reply.