tubasteve

bozo-merlin":2axhsd4b said:
OEM
origine.JPG

Made by Bozo® :lol:
monte.JPG

bozo_s10.gif

330x32, unmodded caliper, cheap part remplacement

funny, he flipped the picture from the other side to look like the same side, i was looking for tire size rofl.

bozo-merlin

tubasteve":y0hi15cd said:
funny, he flipped the picture from the other side to look like the same side, i was looking for tire size rofl.
You're right, i installed it only 1 side as my camera can shadow pics (to get near the same pics)

You won a drink if you come :lol:

CMS-GT4

There are a dozen options, its just a matter of the work you want to do. IS300 rotors redrilled seem to be one of the easier methods. There is also the wrx rotor method, but you do ont get the advantage of the cooling of thicker rotors plus you have to use pads on the spacers. Its all just boils down to what kind of work do you want to do to make rotors work for your setup. There was also a cadillac catera rotor I think the 6th gen guys used.

soarer.jzz30

not to sound completely ignorant here. But, why would it be so hard to simply switch out some portions of the front 205 suspension components in order to completely remove the need to custom work anything? They are nearly identical cars, is the suspension geometry that significantly different that one couldn't simply swap out spindles, or front strut and hub assembly. I mean some portion would seem like it could bolt up and work. Seems a bit excessive... But so does all this custom work... overnight from japan!!
:crazy:

MWP

Damn why didn't we think if that before??? :cry: :p

Have you ever looked at 205 front suspension?
It's super-strut. It won't bolt into a 185 and making it fit will be far more more difficult than adapting just the calipers.

Most 205 race cars have actually been converted to macpherson strut (185 style) suspension as it has less parts, and is easier to tune.

aus jd 2703

What hubs etc do the 205's use? I swear I have raced 204's with the 4 pot brakes so i wonder if a 204 hub would fit 205 brakes and 185 arms??

phattyduck

aus jd 2703":2gutwgkf said:
What hubs etc do the 205's use? I swear I have raced 204's with the 4 pot brakes so i wonder if a 204 hub would fit 205 brakes and 185 arms??
Those ST204's were probably running the ST205 calipers with ST205 disks that have been machined down in diameter. The caliper mounting points between the SuperStrut and standard strut hubs are just a bit different.

-Charlie

dkdmonk

I'm working on this swap and I need to do brake lines. I don't have any 185 lines ( I know they may be short). The 205 lines I have won 't work.

My question - Does any one know if the goodridge 185 SS lines are slightly longer than stock or if there are other lines that are longer (maybe another Toyota model).

I've looked and can't seem to find anyone else talking about this except saying the 185 ones are too short......
Thanks,

deecee

IMO its the offset of the caliper to disc with respect to the ball joint that is the main issue.
Having gone through the ST205 caliper option, it just isn't as easy as swapping over due to the superstrut design.

001.jpg

Looking at Kris'/gt4dc photo of the superstrut, the location of carious components means the disc has increased offset, therefore the caliper is also has increased offset compared to macpherson strut.

At the end of the day, you need to decrease the offset of the disc by using spacers and then match the caliper to mount properly based on where you have offset the disc. On MacPherson strut, the disc has to be offset to clear the ball joint.

In the end, I just gave up, got wrx STI discs, got a hubcentric ring made up, got some wilwood superlites with a bracket, got new lines made up and it was done. I get clearance of the ball joint as STI disc is lower offset.

st205 disc + st205 caliper
I don't have to modify a consumable aka the disc, to fit the st205 caliper when mounted on the front of the hub.
I don't have to get a spacer and longer studs to space st205 discs out.

wrx 294mm disc + st205 caliper
No pad spacers due to smaller disc width 24mm vs 32mm
No overhang of st205 pad to small disc cirumference
No spacer for decreased disc offset

Altezza/IS300 disc + st205 caliper
No re-drilling of disc to 5x100 vs factory 5x114.3
No machining of caliper or hub mounting point (need to shave 2mm off either)

Pay for solutions that work up front
Don't mod consumables or compromise integrity of components

If there was a cheap solution out of the toyota parts bin, then fine, but everything that uses the st205 caliper is a compromise in my books, so I just saved some coin, specified what I wanted to engineer and he sent me a kit. Means I don't have 'CELICA' on the side of my calipers, but meh - I have good brakes with good engineering and consumables I can buy off the internet - easy peasy when the hard work is done up front

dkdmonk

Dee
Thanks for all that.
So challenges aside.

I'm looking for info on brake lines only.

Anyone else????
PS I already met all the other stuff
Rotors 303m diameter
Shaved 1mm off both hub and caliper
5mm spacer under rotor for tie rod clearance
10mm spacer for 7gen gts wheel clearance
15mm lnger studs intalled with new bearings
Shaved backing plate
Good friend with time and bridgeport machine

I did this because I wanted to. Later when I need new rotors maybe I'll do something else

sheikhas

185 Goodridge SS lines a little too short, but if do not attach to the shock absorber bracket, everything is ok...

dkdmonk

Okay,
Pulled a few lines off for measuring -
93 Celica GT - looks to be about 18 inches

97 Celica GT - slightly over 18 inches (same as several Camry's of same gen)
The hose has a metal tab they use to bolt to the strut bracket, would have to straighten it out and drill hole in
strut tower bracket where the hose mounts

97 Sienna - Looks like 20 inches, has the same tab as above but hose seems to be long enough to work.

Tried to look for a mid/late 90's taco but couldn't find any Toy pickups there at all? Online looks like they might have threaded 10X1.0 fitting on both sides (no banjo)

Anybody know who makes braided lines for a Sienna? :lol:
Anybody ever deal with this company - Henry's Engineering http://www.hphose.com/BrakeCatalog1.pdf. Looks like I can send them measurements and they make what I need

May go back and pull the other Sienna line to I can hook up brakes for now.

Anyone have a picture of the 185 goodridge lines installed (not in the strut mount bracket) with 205 front brakes? I have another car with braided lines up front, not held in strut mounts brackets, but it doesn't have drive axles up front :roll:

CMS-GT4

You can order longer lines from revolution.
http://store.revolutionbrake.com/

You can also make your own lines. Earls makes ends that fit standard AN sizes. You can order braided lines in the length you need then use the proper AN adapters to the brake line and hard lines.

EDIT: Earls also makes lines. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-6 ... /overview/
I used a set of their ends to run directly to the caliper instead of a banjo bolt for my 205 rears, and I had to get an adapter for my wilwood brake lines to fit the hard line for my front brakes.