What did the *** did I just buy?

Impreza555

Hello everyone,
I just introduced myself in the "new" section, but unless I'm otherwise corrected, this seems like the appropriate forum.

I've been pining for an Alltrac for about a decade or so and have not found anything good on CL or on here (locally) while checking on and off monthly... most likely due to the fact I can readily mis-use $2500 and if the car burns to the ground, not too many tears will go to the flame. Anywhos, to the story.

This is it:
1988 Alltrac
TRD wheels
"Toyota" steering wheel with a serial number on it with a Fittipaldi emblem
Leather
I've owned a lot of crap-boxes from the 80's and this is by far the cleanest (sheet metal/paint condition, not dirt when pulled from barn) example I have ever come across, let alone own.

My real questions stand around if there were any "special edition" cars the were made for individuals or from Toyota at all? Or are the wheels/steering wheel dealer installed options?

All my experience thus far has been in Subaru/Mazda/Euro markets... the Japanese seem not to commission special editions of rare cars like the Euro market does, but I just have to ask.

Any help or bump in a good direction would be appeciated :)

-Richard

Attachments

• IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 2,089

MrMcQuacker

Congrats on the st165 :). I love that chassis the most out of all of them. Have fun restoring it :). I been restoring mine for the last like 7 years hahaha. But ya that is because I am limited on the money I can spend at one time.

underscore

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. The only special edition 165 I'm aware of was the 1987 IMSA's, which were all white.

I'm interested to see pics of that steering wheel, and better pics of the wheels. At first glance they looks like 6th gen Celica wheels to me.

Impreza555

Here is an update:

Wheels say "Alumni K" on the center caps... from the small bit of research, these are quite the rare little gem.

Steering wheel has the serial number "E 10936"

Any offers of knowledge would be vastly appreciated.

-Richard

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 2,004
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,004
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,004

sinerasis

I think those wheels were an accessory aimed at the TRD 2000GT Widebody MR2 kit. All the official Toyota stuff showing off that kit has those wheels.

I would imagine they're pretty hard to come by more because you have 5x100 version of them (I can't imagine they actually sold many of those). Good find.

The steering wheel just looks to be a Personal (brand) Fittipaldi wheel, with a TRD logo in the center. Apparently they're popular in the German car crowds... at least that's what Google shows.

Impreza555

One of the best parts about working in the field is the access to a few members of the beloved detail department. Usually they do a good job, but this time they really surpassed my own expectations.

I'm still looking for a few details on the vehicle, but have had good success with contacting Toyota directly.

Attachments

• IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,928
  • IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,928

801Alltrac

Holy sweet juices ! How cleans the motor bay
That paint looks great and the rims and steering wheel are awesome
Looks amazing
And my own opinion the best upgrade would TWM short shifter, full exhaust,
M.B.C, bushings all around and coilovers
Good luck with the project

CSAlltrac

She's beautiful! Don't let those wheels go for anything! They look to be real 3 piece wheels, they are probably worth what you paid for the car. We need more pics here!

Impreza555

I'm in the SF Bay Area (Northern California), to answer a previous poster.

CSAlltrac":1u0mb6rc said:
She's beautiful! Don't let those wheels go for anything! They look to be real 3 piece wheels, they are probably worth what you paid for the car. We need more pics here!

The look to be a true 3-piece but I have no real experience with details like this... so thanks for the help in advance.

-Richard

Attachments

• IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,831
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 1,831

Impreza555

Good morning everyone,
Thanks for the info with the MR2 brochure, but we have two discrepancies between the MR2 wheels and mine:

My wheels are 16" and are not staggered, but I'm sure many sizes where available back in the late-80s and 90s.

I've been trying to find a set of wheels for an example of how much I should ask for the set, everything is always for sale. I've been searching eBay and other Toyota sites to gauge an asking price, but the last true TRD set I can/could find for sale was a few years ago.

-Richard

CSAlltrac

First, don't sell. Second, if you do sell. I wouldn't take less than $2k. Take them all apart and do a full restore with Powdercoat and machine polish and new hardware then sell them for $3500.

killemalltrac

CSAlltrac":2zoayfin said:
First, don't sell. Second, don't sell. I wouldn't sell. Take them all apart and do a full restore with Powdercoat and machine polish and new hardware then sell them never.

;) I fully agree

Impreza555

Hey everyone,
Thanks everyone... this is by far the most friendly and helpful forum I've been on a at least a decade.

And just to stir up the pot a bit...This Alltrac w/ wheels is going on sale within a week.

-Richard