ST185/ST205 Swaybar in a ST165

freddie

I have fitted Whiteline front and rear ST185 away bars to my ST165. The reason: 165 bars are no longer available.

The front sway bars are a direct fit. No problems here.

But the rear sway bars are different. The 165 have a funny little secret pocket compartment in the rear floor behind the left rear seat, above the diff. It has a removable cover, but there is nothing in it and not used. It must be there for rallying homoligation purposes. The rear 165 sway bar has an offset to go round it.

So what I did was to modify this little pocket. With heat from an oxy torch, a long leaver bar and a big hammer and with help from my son, we caved the pocket in and bent it up in the floor out of the way. I then repainted the area in the car and under the car and put back the cover. Nice and neat.

The bar is mounted to the body in the original mounting bolt holes. For fixing the bars to the suspension I have used 2 spherical rod ends with a short HT threaded rod and lock nuts between them. on each side front and rear.

I have also got F&R 205 std. sway bars, but they are useless. Don't fit and are thinner.

Cheers
Fred

MrMcQuacker

Whiteline has the rear st185 20mm, That fits the rear on st165 with slight mod. But I can't seem to find a place that sells the front for any of the alltrac/gt4. But I can't find the front. Does anyone happen to know exactly where I can find one? A link would be awesome :)

underscore

freddie":1gcn1boh said:
But the rear sway bars are different. The 165 have a funny little secret pocket compartment in the rear floor behind the left rear seat, above the diff. It has a removable cover, but there is nothing in it and not used. It must be there for rallying homoligation purposes. The rear 165 sway bar has an offset to go round it.

This was covered like 3 posts above yours, it's for the ABS if your car is equipped with it (obviously yours isn't)

Flyin' Bryan

underscore":3upq7gxn said:
So if the 185/205 bars fit the 65, can a 165 bar fit a 185/205?

Underscore did you ever try this out on a car? I ask be cause I have an unused 165 Whiteline bar and no 165's anymore but I have 185.