Rear shocks?

Curry

I've been checking the usual parts sources and can not seem to find rear shocks/struts for my car.

For the front I found Monroe cartridges Part # 73238. Is that correct?

1988 ST165

Help I'm bouncing all over the place =/

tubasteve

Rear are next to none on the 185. Maybe look for used? And convert them to take other inserts like the 185 does with mr2 fronts all around.

An idea i had was 2002 high Lander struts....but i have adjustable cool overs on my other two and modified new ones on another.

Just some in sight

fussellbug

According to the Monroe.com catalog their rear struts (71865, 71866) DO NOT fit the All-Trac but O'Reilly autoparts website shows that they do fit the All-Trac as well as the other 88-89 Celica models.

I also found the application guide for Tokico shocks which lists their model number interchange with the OEM part numbers. Tokico part number B3043, B3044 are used as replacements for rear struts on the All-Trac and the other 88-89 Celica models.

I wouldn't consider this conclusive evidence but you might try a physical side by side comparison of your strut and one made for the FWD Celica.

Curry

I guess I'll have to settle with fronts for now and at some point source out some 185 coils. I really don't want coils now becuase I want to do everything on the suspension head to toe first. I've read that they are direct bolt on to the 165 without mods.

I might ask my shop if they can find something for the rear that will probably save me some time.

celicat93

fussellbug":1f13o7ms said:
According to the Monroe.com catalog their rear struts (71865, 71866) DO NOT fit the All-Trac but O'Reilly autoparts website shows that they do fit the All-Trac as well as the other 88-89 Celica models.

I also found the application guide for Tokico shocks which lists their model number interchange with the OEM part numbers. Tokico part number B3043, B3044 are used as replacements for rear struts on the All-Trac and the other 88-89 Celica models.

I wouldn't consider this conclusive evidence but you might try a physical side by side comparison of your strut and one made for the FWD Celica.

There are a few sites that say that they have struts that work for ST185's, but it's a mistake.

88gt4DE

165 Rear strut insert conversion so you can use front insert in rear and is then replaceable ... I have pictures on my project thread and info ...

Curry

88gt4DE":9k070sjx said:
165 Rear strut insert conversion so you can use front insert in rear and is then replaceable ... I have pictures on my project thread and info ...

Thank you sir, I will check that out!

So the fronts that websites list are those correct?

88gt4DE

Curry":1td066ku said:
88gt4DE":1td066ku said:

Thank you sir, I will check that out!

So the fronts that websites list are those correct?

I'm not saying that but I think I posted what I used , my brother ( 97jza80 ) did the same conversion and used adjustable agx inserts in his ... so there are some choices based on how much ya wanna spend 8)

lumbercis

I really wish someone/a shop would do the rear insert conversion as a service. It's not trivial if you don't have welding skills. And without a rear insert conversion pretty much your only choice is to buy new OEM rear struts or buy coilovers all around. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for the service.

88gt4DE

lumbercis":1pw3h9xc said:
I really wish someone/a shop would do the rear insert conversion as a service. It's not trivial if you don't have welding skills. And without a rear insert conversion pretty much your only choice is to buy new OEM rear struts or buy coilovers all around. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for the service.

Let me talk to my brother and see what we can do for ya .... might be a week or so .... 8)

tubasteve

I have a full set with the mr2 cartridges on all four. They have less then 1k on them. I fitted the car February last year, bought my black car late Feb last year. And the red one sat until i got my custom suspension.

Maybe for sale. I'm still learning about weights for shipping.my biggest problem is i work when post office is open...Monday though Friday.730-630, Saturday 8-4

It's not that bad of a diy.

I could do it if shipped.. The rears might be hard to come by

lumbercis

What's is the correct part # for the rear for Koni inserts? (or KYB for that matter). I've had a hard time nailing it down from searching what people have actually used and been happy with.

tubasteve

the fronts from key agx are what i used.

ill find out part numbers later.

on a side note, i was rear ran over on my scooter on saturday...totaled a scooter, and still alive! ;-)

lumbercis

One possible avenue: http://propartsusa.com/shockdept.html

These guys advertise the ability to do "custom mounting." I've had a little trouble reaching them but maybe they'd be willing to do a rear insert conversion along with the purchase of the inserts for an additional fee.

I have an inquiry into them to see if the old 93-98 Subaru Legacy inserts with the threaded bottom for sealed-to-insert conversions are still available. But if they can do custom work, might be just as well to have them do a standard insert conversion. Hopefully they could recommend "correct" valving for the rears as well.

Everyone call and bug them about it!! :p

J

dkdmonk

I know this is an older thread but wondering if anyone has any updates.....

Some background on my setup -
Front -done with 8641-1211 Koni inserts with GC coil overs

Rear - searching for the 8610-1318Sports insert (these are the 93-96 Impreza fronts recommended here in other threads). These inserts are no longer available from Koni. Koni NA said the 8610-1351Sports are same dimensions and fitment BUT they are way more aggressive in valving by an additional 400nm in both bump and rebound.

So has anyone else found a different rear strut insert with the bottom bolt fitment (instead of cutting, welding and using a top gland nut).
If not, what Koni number are you guys using for the gland nut conversion upgrade?

Thanks