Does your seatbelt scratch your neck? check this out!!

Shaggz00

I think I have stumbled onto what is probably the most fantastic interior 'modification' that 6' tall people or below can do to their AllTrac. As far as I know this only applies to the 165 (can someone confirm it is the same with the 185 please?).

I remember reading some time ago, one of those lists that said "You know you own a Celica if:" and one of the responses was something along the lines of 'your neck is rubbed raw by your seatbelt'...or something like that...Anyways, let me get to the point, I have a solution!

Now some of you might be like "dumbass, I have known about this for years!" but I just figured it out, so here we go.

Normally the seatbelt is oriented like this:

img2293iz2.jpg

I am 5'10" so I'm not incredibly tall or short, just kind of in the middle, and the belt ALWAYS rubs my neck and it is annoying as hell. Well today I decided to take out my headliner to clean it, and when I took off the B-pillar cover I found this!:

img2292eg6.jpg

Notice the lower bolt hole in the B-pillar and the corresponding mark on the cover that indicates where to drill a new hole.

Here is the result of me bolting the seatbelt into the 'new' lower hole:

img2296yf9.jpg

Not only does the seatbelt not touch my neck, but it touches a lot more of my shoulder which I feel is potentially a lot safer as well. I feel like I am 'held' in the seat much more.

Enjoy!

Mods: feel free to move this to the FAQ section, I just felt like it would help more people by getting a little more face-time here.

syko says

Wow! I will definitely take a look at this tomorrow. My seatbelt bothers me a bit, but not alot, however, I would like it a bit lower.

darthripley

moved to the FAQ/Archive.

good info!
i'm going to have to check that out tommorrow & see if its the same in the 185 as well.

darthripley

honestly i forgot all about it :oops:
i didn't notice it bothering me when we drove down to Austin, but it was so hot, it's kind of hard to notice much else :|

i'll try & check it out sometime soon.

METDeath

I don't have a problem with that in my 5th gen, but I'm 6'0"... I could always make my girlfriend happy and shove her in the driver's seat, but only to see if it rubbed her or not! :D

Hotrodhendrix

I don't have a problem with mine either thanks to being 6 foot also. I know there are others on here that it may help out. Its strange how its placed there on the 165... I wonder if the Japanese gt4's had it attached to the lower one for the normally shorter Japanese public.

Rick89GTS

Did this on my 162 and it feels way better. Great tip! :D

P.S. - I plugged the hole with a grommet from the hatch of an 88GTS. It fits perfectly. It's the grommet on both sides of the hatch itself.

I lightened up the pic a bit:

seatbeltmountinghole.jpg