ST165 Clutch replacement

JohnNK

My clutch appears to be shot. I took the car to a shop which has been fairly trustworthy and asked them to first check the master slave cylinder. They called me back and said that it is the clutch itself. The quoted price for clutch RR was around $800, which seemed reasonable. Then they called me back and asked if the car had a turbo. I reminded them that all ST165 alltracs have turbos. The estimated shop hours for the clutch went from 5 hours to 16 hours. How could a turbine and housing make clutch replacement that much more expensive? Please let me know if you have some insight. Thanks.

phattyduck

FWD = drop trans and do clutch.
AWD (turbo...) = drop complete engine/transmission to do clutch, including all the extra complicated parts of the Alltrac

-Charlie

Anoo21

I know where you are coming from. I went ahead and did it myself with some friends. It's in my project thread if you want to take a look. Took 3 days about 5 hours a day. It is a pain but worth it knowing your alltrac is running right because you did it.

phattyduck

JohnNK":2idapj1x said:
The $800 was the quote for FWD. They are talking $1900 for AWD. Still seems high
$100/hr is a good price for labor if the shop is good. 16 hours is about right for 'book' time (if they are fast and have done it before it can go faster, but you need to build in a buffer as a shop). I bet Toyota official book time on the job is 25+ hours.

What are they using for parts? New flywheel too?

The other option is to use that $1500 labor charge to buy tools, etc. and do the job yourself...

-Charlie

celicadude93

I just did the clutch on my St185 I really didn't want to because they suck and everywhere I was calling was at least 1000 or more.