1990 alltrac project

celicadude93

Hello everyone, i usually just post my pictures on the facebook page because it was easiest to do from my phone but now that i have internet at my new place the laptop makes it easier to put the project in its correct spot. For those of you that don't know my name is Greg, i'm a mechanic at a local hyundai dealership and have 2 1990 alltracs. One is stored for winter after the previous owners since i just bought it. And the other is one i bought as a gift for my younger brother as long as he does good in school, otherwise i keep it lol. But enough of the boring stuff. i found this alltrac locally for a price i couldn't refuse and though it is in very very rough shape it's a learning experience and my dream car. so now picture time, assuming i figured out how to upload correctly lol. [album]784[/album] first day home[album]786[/album] dreaded clutch replacement[album]785[/album] the 2 tracs together.

celicadude93

[album]789[/album][album]787[/album][album]788[/album][album]790[/album]

So i still suck at loading pictures it looks like. but these are picures of the old clutch, night after i buffed it, and when i was replacing the floors

88gt4DE

Really there's nothing easy about what yer doing there with the floor work ... Great job ! rust sucks ! I hate it. Main reason mine will never see a snow storm in the northeast ... That damn salt eats the car alive.

celicadude93

88gt4DE":3aj98phe said:
Really there's nothing easy about what yer doing there with the floor work ... Great job ! rust sucks ! I hate it. Main reason mine will never see a snow storm in the northeast ... That damn salt eats the car alive.

I agree. the one thats in storage has never seen snow but the one under construction has 197,000 miles on the body and spent 90% of it's life in green bay as a daily driver so the rust is everywhere. the floors were a safety issue that needed to be addressed right away. i know stopping with your feet worked well for the flintstones but it didn't sound too appealing to me lol

celicadude93

Update: So work has been too busy to where i just wanna go home everyday, and it's that time of year that my fun money becomes gift money. Finally got around to ordering my axles from advanced auto, that turned out to be a dumb idea. First thing i noticed is it doesn't utilize the flange coming off the transmission that the axles bolt too. Now it's just like any other cv axle and slides into the trans. But, i put the driver side in and it didn't seem to fit right with the axle seal. But me being excited to drive it home but it in anyways just to realize the passenger axle was wrong, Yay. So only replaced one and of course that axle seal on the driver side is of couse puking gear lube. so maybe i have to get an axle seal from them so that it'll work with their axles. sure hope the solution is that easy at least. little by little she'll be home soon!

celicadude93

Ya I have no idea what happened. called customer service right away and the part numbers were right. thinking maybe it was boxed wrong or something

phattyduck

Maybe you got Camry Alltrac axles or something?

You should be able to get the outer axle section that bolts on with the 6 allen-head bolts. No need to even remove anything from the trans. ('88-'91 V6 Camry axles work just fine... should be easier/cheaper to find)

-Charlie

celicadude93

it was labeled alltrac axles. looks to be FWD axles. supposedly they found actual bolt on axles for the trac so we'll see when they arrive. good thing i didn't return any cores yet otherwise i wouldn't have that part that bolts to the trans lol. they weren't that bad priced. my total to get them shipped to my house was like $84 and some change and their new not reman. so they should be going in monday and then she'll be back on the road

celicadude93

so thought i'd update a little being its my one day off in a blue moon. the trac has been back on the road for about a month now until yesterday. I've been daily driving it for a couple weeks because of it's alot better in the snow than my tiburon but went to fill up last night and got in to start it and nothing. yay. Found the starter to have taken a crap. luckily i was around some nice enought people to help me push start it to drive it back to work and park it there for another couple months. but thats all for now i'll try up upload some recent pictures on the road when i can