Some ideas on worth of project '165?

Well, I'm kinda back again.

The 'Trac bug has bitten me pretty hard this time, I'll admit. The good news is that I'm in a position in my life(single, no real obligations, just got into a decent career, etc) that I can do something about it.

Frankly, I want another '165 and I'm starting to save up to that goal. There is a specific one on that list I'm thinking about making an offer on if it's still for sale by the end of the year. I don't think that'll be the case, however. So, I do have a plan B.

Thanks to a post from Wakkjob(thread here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=46194&start=15), I found out the current owner of my old '165. It's been sitting at a local performance shop. I went down there to check it out as well as get some ideas for my DD. As far as I can tell, it needs:

Engine removed and all gaskets done. Rear main is definitely leaking at the very least. Engine likely runs but isn't in driving condition. Full rebuild might be better since the engine has unknown mileage. The original 3SGTE threw a rod after I parted with it. Odometer isn't accurate(158,536) as the trans I swapped in had a bad speed sensor, IIRC. My personal estimate is that the chassis has 160-170K.
Owner says transmission may need to be looked at. I'm unsure. I put in a trans when I owned it that came out of a wrecked '165 with 112K on it. Worked perfectly when I sold it in 2007.
Needs new paint all around, various dents all around. Most major is a minor hit on the driver's rear quarter which was there since I bought it in 2003.
Owner claims he was waiting on the turbo to be rebuilt. Unsure if this was the turbo I had replaced before selling the car(rebuilt CT26 from an MA70).
A/C has been removed; if purchased it's going back in.
Tires definitely need to be replaced. I put them on in 2005. One of the stock wheels is gone(had a steelie on one corner that I think was the spare); unsure if it's sitting in the spare well or not.

That's all I can think of for the moment. The good is that the interior is mostly in good shape other than when some lowlife broke in and tore up the trunk trim panels to steal the speakers when I owned it. Those will need to be replaced.

So, I guess my main question to ask is what would a '165 in this condition be worth as a project? I'd personally be willing to save up and find a good '165 otherwise, but I'm making an exception as this was my old car and deserves a chance to be brought back to life after being neglected for so long. I do have a friend that's willing to let me store a project at his house(plus he really wants to work on a 'Trac) so I'll have some garage space and help this go-around. This car has some pretty hefty sentimental value to me, but I also want to remain realistic. My mind's kinda operating around the $1500 mark. Does that sound fair?

And a final question. Have sources for good JDM 1st-gen engine swaps completely dried up? If I get my hands on this one I'd prefer to go that route. However, if I do a swap myself I'd want something as plug and play as possible. I really don't want to mess with wiring or fabbing so that takes a '185 or '205 engine out of the running. I'm looking to restore this car with mild mods; I don't need or want a fire-breathing street monster. I'd rather have a '165 I can drive around and enjoy with all the amenities... my current car has kinda cured me of the heavy right foot. :D

bmt

I dont know what it's worth as a project but I have a 1st gen jdm 3sgte engine and box if you want it, only one catch I am in New Zealand. :(

If you do go with your project and get desperate enough dont hesitate! Message me.