st205 into st185 swap faq/ and parts compatibility

phattyduck

monkracing29":2wn1ra7e said:
well looking at it when you put it on the bracket it holds the throttle open a bit so it wont go down to idle.
Did you run out of adjustment range on the cable? If so, you can open up the 'back' nut just a bit with a dremel to get another couple mm of adjustment room.

On my current setup, I just shortened the cable to the exact length I needed with the right length of cable to keep it in the middle of the adjustment range.

-Charlie

fhalperformance

Just to be clear: When everyone says to use the st185 mounts are we talking use the st185 brackets from the tranny front and rear or reuse the brackets from the st205 motor with the st185 cross member mounts?

Also: do you have to drill a hole for the transmission drivers side motor mount bracket?

deecee

all mounts from the st185 need to be used when mounting a st205 engine and/or trans. So side chassis mounts and front/rear mounts

essexgt4

Ok couple of questions as we are nearly there, which sensors did people use from the 205? For example boost sensors map sensors, temp sensors etc?

phattyduck

essexgt4":pd1j2cv2 said:
Ok couple of questions as we are nearly there, which sensors did people use from the 205? For example boost sensors map sensors, temp sensors etc?
If you are using the ST205 ECU, you will need to use the MAP sensor at a minimum. Why not use everything that comes with the motor?

-Charlie

soarer.jzz30

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7oVW ... sp=sharing

this is everything i have on both cars
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

i will make a separate post for help with this. i made the file based on another photo, i need help finishing it for help with my own swap and anyone else planning it. i put a place for standard voltage and resistance and the circumstance that it requires to test. I would like to add if it is an input ir output or ground next to it as side notes, as of now it is two page printable. anything else added will be to large but that's ok. i am doing this because my swap is still not starting so this should help point in the right direction, thanks to anyone with a working gen3 swap in an st185. :D

essexgt4

Out of curiosity which do you think would be easier to use, I have a 1993 st185 car with loom, rev 3 engine turbo gearbox etc already installed now i have a choice on ecu, import mr2 turbo rev 3 ecu or uk spec st205 ecu?

fhalperformance

-ST205 axle, ST185 axle, ST205 axle, ST185 axle lined up fairly closly on the inboard splined sections.

Difference between st205 axles and st185 axles finally documented. Its a good 2 inch difference in length give or take.

phattyduck

fhalperformance":ua7lrfsa said:
It drove me crazy that everyone said they were too long and there was no photographic evidence.
You can just look at the factory rated track width between the 5th and 6th gen Celicas to know that they won't work... (rears are 1.2"/30mm longer for each axle - that's the one I have measured and looked up) The real kicker is that they are 1-piece, with means you can't mix-n-match or do hybrid setups with parts that can be rebuilt in the US.

-Charlie

phattyduck

soarer.jzz30":29ib4l45 said:
Can't we just do a whole rear end swap though
Of course (I have). You need the axles and arms to match lengths and that's it. The rear end will then look like you put 30mm spacers on each side, but you don't load the wheel bearings wrong or anything.

You just can't swap the front axles unless you do custom long a-arms.

-Charlie

I also noticed the difference... so is this going to be a problem with the front control arm mount? It should be offset with the 205 rear stuff installed... I am planning to use all the 205 stuff sans the knuckles because they were non abs.
So I wont need my 25mm spacers in the back at all after this is together?

phattyduck

CTechBlueDragon":3niekn5t said:
I also noticed the difference... so is this going to be a problem with the front control arm mount? It should be offset with the 205 rear stuff installed... I am planning to use all the 205 stuff sans the knuckles because they were non abs.
So I wont need my 25mm spacers in the back at all after this is together?
If you currently have 25mm spacers on the rear, doing the full 205 rear swap will push each wheel out another 5mm (like having 30mm spacers with ST185/ST165 rear arms/axles). It should drive the same, other than adding the LSD (assuming you are getting the Torsen diff too). You will need to get an alignment and camber bolts too...

-Charlie

Yeah.... I have a set of camber bolts but they don't fit the back only the front =( boooo I guess I can sell the spacers and get what I need.
I got the diff that came with the 205 are there different ones?? I heard the LSD makes a big difference in how the car behaves cornering, maybe pushing slightly less and rotating more?

phattyduck

CTechBlueDragon":1jzfoh9h said:
I got the diff that came with the 205 are there different ones?? I heard the LSD makes a big difference in how the car behaves cornering, maybe pushing slightly less and rotating more?
All ST205s came with the LSD rear diff. It was optional on the ST185 (though rare) and the ST165 was always an open rear diff.

You'll feel the difference on corner exit under power. It shouldn't make any difference under braking or maintaining speed through a corner apex.

-Charlie