cheap temporary solution for saggy springs st165

bobtherider123

as most of you know stock suspension components are near impossible to buy new for the st165. im going for a rally tte replica build so i didnt want to lower the car so lowering springs were out of the question, stock springs are non existent for the front, and atm i cant aford coilovers. my front springs were so old and soft that turning felt like turning at boat and the slop led me to catch my tire on the fender and actually bend the lip of the fender out.

so as i was browsing i stumbled across these:
sglc3a.jpg

they cost $6 each and it takes one per spring. i decided the front were much mushier than the rear so i put two per spring in the front and only one per spring in the rear. the car did raise a little but in all reality i think it went from lowered height of the sagging spring back to a stock height which was all i was really after and i accomplished this task for $36

now to install these all you need to do is jack the car up, when the suspension droops from lifting it will cause the gaps in the springs to get bigger. you then just slide these in and spin them up to the top of the spring till they stop moving and your done. lower the vehicle and enjoy. the nice thing about these as apposed to the screw in style is they are much harder to have them just fall out from suspension travel while driving.

installed they look like this:
b625ad.jpg

before the coilspring boosters were inserted:
4t1pfk.jpg

after the coilspring boosters were inserted:
14uvt3s.jpg

the car now stays flat in turns, feels much firmer even just in a straight line, took the excessive floating feeling out of the ride. hopefully i will have the money for coilovers in the next few months but till then these are the best $40 suspension upgrade i have ever purchased.

Shaggz00

just an FYI, those things do work themselves down to the bottom of the spring over time, so check them periodically.

If you're handy with a mini grinder and welder, you can do what I did. Cut the spring mounts off of the strut housing(while noting the original position!), move them up on the housing, and weld them back on. This will give you however much lift you desire. I think mine has 1.25" lift, and I did 1.5" for my buddy.

bobtherider123

Shaggz00":218yn687 said:
just an FYI, those things do work themselves down to the bottom of the spring over time, so check them periodically.

If you're handy with a mini grinder and welder, you can do what I did. Cut the spring mounts off of the strut housing(while noting the original position!), move them up on the housing, and weld them back on. This will give you however much lift you desire. I think mine has 1.25" lift, and I did 1.5" for my buddy.

thanks for that tip, i had thought about that but was worried about heating up the housing and was not planning on replacing the inserts yet. i really dont want to spend any more money on the stock suspension then i have to so that i can get the coil overs sooner. i just really needed to stop the front end from bottom out as bad as it was.

Shaggz00

bobtherider123":3va91955 said:
thanks for that tip, i had thought about that but was worried about heating up the housing...

Oh yeah, lol. My bad. I forgot that you gotta do the conversion at the same time -or already have done it. Yeah, you don't want to heat up any pressure vessel like that.