GT4 NOOB questions

ohkay

Hey guys, sorry for the noob questions.

What ST185 FMIC kit do you all recommend (links to MFR would be great)?
Dose any one company make a complete bushing kit for the ST185? Or am I going to have to piece them all together?
recommendations with link please.
Also, I take it ST185's can run the ST205 ECU and MAP as long as I have the the wiring harness, MAP, ECU and Intake air temp sensor. I would of course have to wire up the ST205 harness. is there a how to or a digram for this? to save me some time.
thanks for your time.

underscore

I don't think anyone makes a drop-in FMIC kit, you'll have to build it yourself. Maybe check out the engine bays thread to see how people have routed it.

Several manufacturers have complete solutions for the bushings, I made a thread about it you can search up. I know GT4 Racing out of Europe sells all the bushings as I'm running them.

quieter

kKue on the forum can hook you up with bushings or http://www.gt4-racing.eu/ they have their own eBay store with cheaper shipping quotes. i'm sure you can deal directly with the owner to pay via PayPal to cut off some fees

FMIC, it really depends if you clock your turbo which would be ideal but it isn't a necessity. 2.5 inch diameter should do the job

why would you want to run the st205 ECU?

ohkay

I noticed that the JDM ST205 uses a MAP and not a MAF. Basically this is the way I look at MAF's on turbo cars: Big clumsy metal object that obstructs air passageway to the turbo. Constriction, and to achieve turbo efficiency you have to remove the constrictions.
Thanks for the busing help.
I have my eyes on a couple of St185's and I have the wife on board with me purchasing one of them!!!!!! I gotta get home first though.

quieter

i wouldn't advise you to install a st205 ecu on a 2nd gen 3sgte.theres bigger injectors (st205) and you will get engine check for the WTA TMIC. you would also need a map sensor which is super expensive. might as well go with a piggyback do delete the AFM. or if you want to pay maybe an extra 500-600, get a PNP standalone and you wont regret it. easy to sell if you ever decide to sell your car and put it back to stock

Corey

Rather than the 205 ecu, get an mr2 ecu. It wont cause the wta error code and produces the same result - no afm!

I did this upgrade last year for under 800$. Most, if not all of the oem components required can be sourced from www.mr2oc.com and they may even be sold in kits by sellers parting out their cars.

All you need is:

Gen3 mr2 ecu
Berk harness jumper (~200$)
205 injectors
205 map
205 iat sensor to replace the AFM sensor in the airbox
205 manifold temp sensor to replace the cold start injector
205 ignitor

The two airtemp sensors are wired into the original AFM plug. No hacking required

gt4tified

Another option also, if you can get your hands on one, is the HKS VPC and GCC which would allow deletion of your AFM. Many have used this, with varying degrees of satisfaction.

aus jd 2703

imo the ecu jumper harness is a waste, your hacking up the engine end of the harness to change the maf to two temp sensors so why be concerned about the other end?

st205 tune is more aggressive than 205 from factory particularly in the midrange, their are dyno plots some where.
its easy enough to trick the ecu into thinking the pumps there when its not so imo go 205. fyi my 205 motor and ecu in a 185 made 216AWHP on 16psi as its a ceramic turbo stock exhaust and wta IC.

if your buying all these parts (shame your not in aus as im selling all the stuff u need as im going haltech standalone) becauseful of the cost as a haltech spring 500 is about $900 and is better than any stock ecu hands down and requires the same amount of work as a 205 swap, (ive done the 205 and am halfway through the haltech now).
the big expense with stand alone is the tune. but its future proof 205 ecu is not.....

I can look at shipping costs if you are interested in a jdm 205 ecu with map ignighter tham sensor tha sensor injectors the lot but I suspect it wont be worth it... ($40aud for sea mail, $60 air) and I would want around $500aud for the ecu and sensors.....

Corey

imo the ecu jumper harness is a waste, your hacking up the engine end of the harness to change the maf to two temp sensors so why be concerned about the other end?

There is no need to hack up anything. I wired the OEM Gen 3 air temp sensors into a disused AFM plug (similar to an AFM extension harness). It clips right into the OEM AFM harness.

The great thing about this mod was that it was really simple to install (nearly plug and play once you install the injectors), no tuning required and it's comprised of OEM parts.

ohkay

I finally have a GT4!! yay!!
I the speedo doesn't work so I pulled out the cable and reset it to the sensor. it worked for about 2 miles and then went out again. do you guys think this is a bad sensor or cable?