Post Your Setup!

RedCelicaTRD

Just like the title says! Post what suspension mods you've made and give them a review. Hopefully this will help people pick a decent set-up for their style and show people whats avalible. I'll start.

Mods: None :D
Review: I havn't driven my car in so long I can't remember how it feels.

Now my review sucks so I know you guys can do better!

Gary

Wheels: OZ Rally 16x7 30mm offset
Tires: Yokohama AVS ES100 225/45/16
1 inch H&R Spacers in rear
Springs: Stock
Struts: Stock

There is no rubbing with or without the spacer.
Handling is much better than stock 15 inch setup.

coolwg4.jpg

cool2gz0.jpg

turbo4wd

Wheels: 5Zigen 5ZR Copse 17x7.5 43mm offset
Tires: Yokohama AVS ES100 225/40/17
1 inch Spacers in rear
Springs: Whiteline
Struts: Stock
Swaybar: Whiteline adjustable
Strutbar: Whiteline front and rear

The inside of the rear tires rub against the rear struts without the spacers.
The amount of roll has been dramatically reduced compared to stock..
The current setup understeers in slow to mid speed corners, while the rear end can be kicked out on higher speed turns..

killer_siller

i love those rims! too bad it wouldn't look as good on my car (white on white).

looks awesome.

turbo4wd -
how much did the whiteline setup run you? do they make it for the 165?
you set it up to understeer in low / middle speed turns, how much and why?

Griffin

Wheels: SSR Competition 17x7.5"
Tires: Yokohama A032R 235/40/17
Suspension: Tien SS Coilovers
Swaybar: stock
Strutbar: Jspeed front 3point
Brakes: Slotted stock rotors / SS Goodridge lines / Porterfield R4S pads
Alignment bt West End Alignment
Weight reduction: A/C removed, Sunroof Removed, Interior gutted, RC front bumper, wheels (13.2 lbs each)

The handling is just awsome - I have yet to find the limits of the car with the new setup.

The tires have excellent grip in both cornering and normal acceleration. They help at full pressure from a standing launch, even on tarmack (the clutch however did not) There is minimal body roll, and the ride is firm, but not too harsh. The tires sing a bit, but its only noticeable over the exhaust when decelerating. So far I can take a 90 degree right at 50 and the car just flat out turns. The steering does want to follow the road a bit with these tires, but its not too bad.

killer_siller

:shock:
that is just f***ing awesome!

is it your daily driver?
got pics / commentary on the gutted interior (i know this isn't the post for that, but...)

turbo4wd

killer_siller":2k2n444k said:
how much did the whiteline setup run you? do they make it for the 165?
you set it up to understeer in low / middle speed turns, how much and why?

You know what, its been so long (2 years) that I forgot how much I paid for everything.. I got the works kit for the 185, and the springs.. My struts were brand new.. I have yet to install the rest of the bushing kit.. I'll do that once I take my car over to West End Alignment..

I didn't set up the car with understeer per se, its like that to begin with.. When I only had the rear adjustable swaybar on, the car was VERY neutral, and much easier to oversteer.. After I installed the front and rear strut tower bar it made it more understeer prone because the front became much more rigid

In my case I would have to stiffen up the rear more than it is now relative to the front end.. A set of Teins would help... :D

Suspension setup is tricky, because you want to find a good compromise between roll stiffness (sway/strut bars), dampening (springs/struts), as well as weight reduction/distribution to acheive total balance.

Some people can't bear a super stiff setup, while others love it.. I gravitate more towards the stiff end myself.. but again, there are compromises.. With a softer setup the limit of adhesion is easier to identify because its more progressive, whereas a stiffer setup although it may give a higher limit, can also a little more difficult to find because the difference between your tires gripping and going off is more abrupt..

Ah.. and to update.. heres a list of Whiteline stuff for the ST165.. but keep in mind that there is a HUGE delay on Whiteline stuff..

http://935motorsports.com/st165whitelinelist.htm

Griffin

killer_siller":3t1vmsjw said:
:shock:
that is just f***ing awesome!

is it your daily driver?
got pics / commentary on the gutted interior (i know this isn't the post for that, but...)

Nope - its a weekend and occasional weekday only car.

I don't have any pics of the interior yet. Been waiting for the body shop to finish with it so I can clean it up and start stripping the sound deadening out to drop a bit more weight.

InitialD93

Tires: 215/40/17 Yokohoma AVS ES100s
Rims: Tenzo R Mean-6 17"x7"
Struts and springs: JDM JIC SA-1 fully adjustable coilovers
Tranny: rebuilt tranny w/new syncros
Differential: rear clutch type LSD
Swaybars: stock
Strut tower: stock 3 point front
Alignment by Lee's Alignment(local)

everyday street driven, and soon to get into some autocross.

Future plans=H&R 35MM rear spacers, 4 or 8MM front spacers, Yokohama A032Rs or Yokohoma Parada Spec-2s mounted on lighter rims for autoX, front and rear sway bars, cusco under brace.

Rider

Wheels:14"
Tires: Standard
Springs: Whiteline
Struts: KYB with insert conversion at rear
Swaybar: Whiteline
Strutbar: Standard
Bushes: Whiteline

Untested...until tomorrow, needs a wheel alignment and to be road legal...

Zeus

17x7 Konig GT-R Rims
235.40.17 Toyo T1s Tires
Whiteline Lowering Springs
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
Whiteline Camber Bolts
Whiteline Bushings
Koni Yellow Shocks

Review: the spring shock combo I find are way too soft and i bottom out when the suspension is allready loaded and i go over a bump or something...

For the future... either at the very least some stiffer springs but ill probably want to get some coilovers as well as strut tower bars and maybe some under body and side bracing... I also really want to get a rear spacer and some 245's on some wider rims

RIalltrac

Rims: 17x7 Konig Blatant's with H&R 20mm spacers on the rear rims
Tires: 225/45 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's
Suspension: Whiteline Springs
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
Whiteline Camber Bolts
Koni Yellow Shocks
Superpro Poly Bushings (Also filled my rear diff. bushing with Poly)

I like the setup its not over the top aggresive. My AT is daily driven. My only compaint to date is the tires, they just arent grippy enough, but they get the job done for now.

silence

Tires/Rims: 16" 2000 celica GTS
Struts:KYB adjustables up front, New Toyota in the back
Springs: Ground Controll adjustable coilovers
Swaybars: stock
Strut tower: stock 3 point front
Suspension Techniques Polyurethane Bushings up front.

THe setup is nice. I like the adjustability of the Ground Controlls, with the kYB's. The Ride is relatively stiff, but nothing harsh. I have the struts set at 3. THe car will begin to understeer when going into a turn, untill you hit the throttle Id like to improve my setup with poly bushings in the rear, and a larger rear swaybar combined with a rear strut bar and some good grippy tires.

pog0

Wheels: 16" 2000 Celica GTS
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE090 or something like that
Springs: TRD Japan
Swaybar: Whiteline Rear Adjustable

Waiting on: Rear strut bar, poly bushings all around.

Mr Fitzpantson

Wheels: Enkei two piece 15x6.5 32 mm offset
Tires: falken Azenis Sport 205/50R-15
Springs: B & G
Struts: Gab inserts in the front (they came with the car, I think they are Gab?) Gab super hp struts in the rear

everything else is stock. The setup is a bit harsh on rough roads, makes the cheap cd player skip once in a while :x . About a month ago I hit a bump while crossing a bridge and the rear view mirror fell off. The mirror has a break-away design and keeps on falling off :( I'm going to find a solution that just bolts to the roof instead of the metal clip/bracket. I also found that the ride height is too low for any washington rallycross. The car had cut springs on it when it was purchased and the B&G springs kept the ride height about the same, but still lower than stock. The car feels amazing at the three autocrosses I've been to (my first three). It mostly still seems understeer biased, but I did manage to get some oversteer when braking/accelerating for a 180 degree turn. I also spun 270 degrees around because I pushed it too hard through the slalom. I plan to eventually get an adjustable rear sway bar, strut tower braces and that's it until I need to relpace the struts. fronts are feeling kind of old, need to turn the setting to 3 out of 4 clicks to get good dampening. other wise feels like the strut goes through its travel too quickly over bumps.

Mafix

rims: enkie rs-5 16x7
Tires: only Nitto NeoGen goes on my baby
Struts: KYB gr-2 all round (this is a FWD car)
Springs: Intrax Sport
Tower tops: Kyb bearing plate tops
Sway bars stock...drag car
Strut braces...front stock rear nuespeed of a jetta...again drag car

roo

Wheels: 15" OZ gravel wheels
Tires: Advan Neova

Springs/Struts: Tein HA

Stock Sway bars, Jspeed Side tower braces, Jspeed rear 3-pt brace, Okuyama 8-pt roll cage, WRC Underbody Skidplates

Plans: Whiteline or Swift rear swaybar and/or remove front swaybar, replace all bushings possible, SSR Professor SP1 Wheels (17x9 +30)

hideki

Wheels : ADVAN RG 16x7.5 +47mm
Spacers F:25mm R:35mm
offset F:+22 R:+12
Tyre : Azenis RT215 205/50
Suspension: JIC FLT A-2 fully adjustable coilovers
,Coil spring F:9Kg/mm R:7Kg/mm
Bush:Fully Urethane bushing
Differential: rear clutch type LSD
Sway bar: F/R:Stock
Strut bar: F:3point R:Cusco + extra bar
Rollcage:6point