Star!

88gt4DE

Theres a reason they are under investigation. Do you have to deal with them since they did first test or can you use another shop to re-test it ?

darthripley

happily Texas has the 25 yr rule for emissions testing. i'll never live in cali. ever.
all you have to have is a safety inspection which is only $13 vs a $40 emissions test.
the MR2 & newest addition both fall under it already & the Alltrac is only 2 yrs away.
at the rate i'm going on fixing it up it'll be exempt by then. all i have to do is keep it registered.

good luck on passing. love those 4Runners.

r-town

Guys! Sorry for bringing an old thread from the dead, but I just did a HG job on my st185, along with all the seals, timing belt, etc. Now after that I discovered this new law (I didn't know it even existed), and the STAR smog I'm basically screwed, previous owner did a JDM swap, and I don't have the components like the top mount intercooler, EGR setup, air filter box, etc... even if I had a EGR with me, the JDM head has to be drilled...this might be the end of my dream with this alltrac. :shrug:

ST165Sleeper

Have you considered moving to Oregon? Most places in southern and central Oregon do not smog the only places I know of are places that are heavily populated i.e. : salme portland eugene corvallis, im sure there is more in the portland area that are sub districts of portland.

r-town

After all this crap laws that California is enforcing, pretty much makes me want to leave. But I'm planning to start my MSEE program this coming fall...so cant move anytime soon :lol: I was so happy that my ST185 was up and running again :)

Awesome-Trac

r-town":1z8gugvo said:
After all this crap laws that California is enforcing, pretty much makes me want to leave. But I'm planning to start my MSEE program this coming fall...so cant move anytime soon :lol: I was so happy that my ST185 was up and running again :)

Time for you to hot smog it

r-town

Yup.

All my cars that I have owned have passed the smog legally, but when I purchased the ST185 I was aware that there was no way it was going to pass the smog legally with all the mods it had. At that time i did not know all that hype about the STAR smog requirement. The online checking tool says that the STAR smog is needed. I've heard the test is more rigorous.

Awesome-Trac

r-town":1nmlknmf said:
Yup.

All my cars that I have owned have passed the smog legally, but when I purchased the ST185 I was aware that there was no way it was going to pass the smog legally with all the mods it had. At that time i did not know all that hype about the STAR smog requirement. The online checking tool says that the STAR smog is needed. I've heard the test is more rigorous.

Nope same process like any other smog test but its mostly based on testing how deep your wallets are AHAHAH cause when I compared its to when it was named test or check the smog technician did pretty much everything the same as the new so called STAR Smog

phattyduck

phattyduck":1mbmeisk said:
I just snuck under the wire with the Gold Star program on my Alltrac. I paid my registration last fall (October, I believe) and was able to smog it earlier this month under the old rules. I made sure it blows clean out the tail pipe and found a smog shop that 'understands' the car.

-Charlie
Just saying it again. Get a cat on there so it blows clean and you will have a much easier time of the whole thing...

You can also go to a shop (if you can find one you trust) and ask what you do to get it to pass, because the previous owner did some stuff to the car and you aren't sure what's legal or not. Or do a pre-test or something along those lines. Smog hook ups are hard to find.

-Charlie