Proper car storage??

ST165Sleeper

Hey guys, sadly enough I'm gearing up for my first deployment this year and I'll be gone for about a year. I'd like to be able to store my car out of the weather while I'm gone and as I trust very few people to drive my car, I need some help with proper storage techniques and practices. I plan to overhaul the car and finally do my complete build and repaint the car when i get back. I'd just like to be able to come home hop in the car and drive it when i get home.

sinerasis

Before you leave:
-change as many fluids as you can and refill on the full side of everything
-full tank of fresh gas with stabilizer
-remove battery
-take wheels off (put car on jack stands, deflate tires so they hold their shape but are squishy)
-flip the wipers up (or put a towel between the rubber and the glass)
-wash and wax the paint
-put a rag in the tailpipe (clog any little place you can find that a little animal might enjoy, drop some mothballs around car)
-take the spark plugs out and put some extra oil down the holes, loosely put the plugs back in
-write a note of all the things you did so you don't forget what you need to un-do when you get back

When you get back:
-change all the fluids again
-get new gas/drain the stuff that's been sitting
-battery
-remove rag in tailpipe (and other clogged holes)
-remove spark plugs and turn the motor over a couple times before re-installing plugs

...probably other things...

ST165Sleeper

Thank you that will help me alot. not just to find a place to Store the car with little to no rodent issues and that stays dry.

New Guy

I've read that generic storage areas are good for that sort of thing (like what people use to store things that don't fit in the house/garage, not sure what the technical term is.)

They're almost always gated and you can put a really beefy lock on the door. If nobody knows there's a car in it they won't be tempted anyways.