need help with 3sgte transplant into a lexus is300

Mlexus01

Hello all knowledgeable 3sgte individuals I come to you as a supra/ lexus owner but overall car and toyota enthusiest im reaching out to all to ask if a celica all track 3sgte engine can be transplanted into my lexus is300 also A.k.a Altezza. I know that the altezza in japan comes with the 3s beams engine and I have come across online of someone in another country that has already done the engine swap but his build thread is limited on information on how he achieved that and i wanted to know if anyone here knew what transmission can be used , maybe the the one that comes off the beams 3s engine ?? Im not sure and as for engine mounts I know from the posting that I found the person. Used one of the altezza mounts but I dont know if he fabricated one for a precise placement and fit for the all track 3sgte engine to fit into the lexus engine bay. I know its crazy but im sure its a possible engine swap I know the 2jzgte and the 1jzgte are popular swaps but come one everyone has one done these days and im inspired by the 500hp hks 3sgte and wpuld like to try this in my lexus.well has anyone here has done this swap to a Rwd car or even better to a lexus is300 any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• p62340_large+2000_Toyota_Altezza+Under_Hood_Engine_View.jpeg
    p62340_large+2000_Toyota_Altezza+Under_Hood_Engine_View.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 0
  • p62333_large+2000_Toyota_Altezza+Under_Hood_Cam_Gears_View.jpeg
    p62333_large+2000_Toyota_Altezza+Under_Hood_Cam_Gears_View.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • carbon-altezza-front-suspension.jpeg
    carbon-altezza-front-suspension.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 4,231

alltracman78

Altezza uses a j160. It's the only RWD transmission that will [factory] bolt up to the 3S that I know of. Manual anyways. MZ engines have the same bolt pattern. So there MIGHT be a RWD auto trans out there for it. And there might be something from the 80s that I don't know about that bolts to it.
Your IS300 has a W58. The bellhousing won't bolt up. Unless you get an adaptor plate.
You'll also need to figure out the intake manifold [you'll want a center feed or a custom one].
And the coolant outlet on the rear of the block.
And the fact that the FWD versions are a slant 4 while the Altezza is a straight 4. Not sure how the oiling system will work if the engine is completely upright.
Plus loads of little things.
Engine mounts should be fairly easy, and you have bolt holes on the front and back of the block for them to mount to.

I've thought about this in my Cressida, but I'm way to busy right now and the 5M is running to good to justify tearing it out ATM.

Mlexus01

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index. ... ic=17323.0
wow thanks for ur response and yes maybe the beams tranny might work out but I have also found a thread of someone that used a 80's celica tranny with a 3sgte so you might be correct about the 80's car tranny to be used and in the thread that I found about the guy that put a 3sgte into his lexus he opted for the 3sgte off thr all track celica vs the 3sgte off the Mr2 due to the oil issue that is how he resolved that problem because he was going to use the is300 for drift. I did not understand what u meant with the coolant ??? But I know that the lexus guy that did the swap was having issues pertaining with the coolant and well I wished he would have laid out his steps in more detailed here is the link that made me believe that it could be done aside from seeing the hks race altezza with the 3sgte but knowledge about that car is limited http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-c ... wered.html
and for the tranny if I can't use the jdm 3s beams tranny i also found out through anotjer forum posting of how a SA63 celica bell housing can be used with a w55, w57,58 tranny and can be also used with the 3sgte
not.sure if true but here is the link is on the top.

Pipedreams

It would be alot easier to use the altezza 3s-ge engine as it´s made for the car with oilpan, mounting and cooling. There are turbo pistons available. The problems with using a 3sgte are the oilpan is tilted so you would have to build a new one. The coolant takeoff from the head would go into the firewall. And for mounting you could use the altezza mount on the exhaust side but on the intake side you would have to make a custom mount since the mounting points are ground off the block to clear the transfer case in the alltrac. And the mr2 uses the same block.
And for transmission, the j160 isn´t very strong. Since the MZ and VZ has the same bolt pattern you might be able to use a bellhousing from a 4runner or Tacoma and fit a r154 from a supra mk3. I cannot confirm that this would work as I haven´t tried it so it could fall on the length of the input shaft but in theory it´s the strongest bolt-on transmission you could get.

underscore

If it were me (and it may be some day, I love the idea of this setup) I'd get a JDM 3SGE Altezza halfcut with tranny, rebuild the engine and swap in 3SGTE internals, possibly swap/upgrade the cams if possible (or the whole head is the accessories and water outlets can swap over), pick a turbo and get a custom exhaust manifold. Upgrade the fuel system and get a standalone EMS.

Realistically though, a BEAMS 3SGE from an Altezza makes pretty much the same power as a stock 3SGTE, so I'd think about what kind of power you want to achieve. If you're just going for stock 3SGTE power levels, toss in a stock Altezza setup, get a better exhaust, maybe ITB's or something, and see where you land.

Pipedreams

The only internals from a 3sgte you could swap into the BEAMS are the rods which are stronger in the gte.
Pistons won´t work with the different valve angles in the beams and they would actually raise the compression ratio. Stock beams pistons are 1mm below the deck at tdc. So pistons must be proper beams turbo ones. And cams wont need changing below about 500hp.

Mlexus01

I see what everyone is saying so it might be Better to get a beams 3s and just upgrade the engine so you can turbo it and well that engine is afdortable as compared to the 2jzgte and 1jzgte imported engines .it would be nice to hit the 500hp numbers but as a daily 400to 450 is good enough. I wonder if thr turbo 3sgte bottom end can be coupled with the 3s beams head and I know the beams comes vvtti a non vvtti would be better maybe. As for thr mounts no sweat and im sire the beams tranny can hold up to the 400 hp then again I dont know of anyone abusing thr shit out of that tranny to really know for sure.

Pipedreams

There is no point changing the bottem end for a 3sgte on the BEAMS engine as the block is the same as a gen4 3s-gte except an extra oil channel to feed the vvti control valves. Crank is the same. And again, you will need beams specific pistons with the beams head. And the beams head is a superior design and with vvti enabled you will spool the turbo up to 1000rpm earlier. The beams head was used in the late Corolla WRC.

underscore

Pipedreams knows a lot more about this than I do (obviously) so I'd listen to him. Get a BEAMS Altezza halfcut and swap that in, then turbo it.