hardtop alltracs!!

i have never seen one until my recent purchase. Are these rare to find? Is there any weight difference than other alltracs? any info to enlighten me!!

TRDTurko

as far as I know the only way to get one is to hack the roof off and weld the roof from an ST on . I'm going to do it to my race trac next winter if I can find a ST to hack up.

by hacking off the roof of an st, will that sacrifice the structural design of the alltrac? I never even realized this car was offered hardtop as well, until I went and saw the actual car. I know the original mr2 turbo hardtops are a pretty rare piece and I was wondering if hardtop alltracs are the same. its funny, because as of now, I own my 1991 original mr2 turbo hardtop as well as my 1990 hardtop celica alltrac!! it was meant to be.. hehehe

TRDTurko

the only extra structural support in the roof of the alltrac is probably for the sun roof. As long as the job is done properly it should be strong enough. Someone has already done it if you search the board.

underscore

You only need to take the skin from the non-sunroof model, so the structure can remain untouched. My GTS has a sunroof and my RC has a solid roof, there's definitely a lot more room in the RC. I've never heard anything about non-sunroof Alltracs being rare, nor non-sunroof MR2's being rare. I thought it was the t-top MR2's that were harder to find.

ALLensTRAC

underscore":3guj6nga said:
You only need to take the skin from the non-sunroof model, so the structure can remain untouched. My GTS has a sunroof and my RC has a solid roof, there's definitely a lot more room in the RC. I've never heard anything about non-sunroof Alltracs being rare, nor non-sunroof MR2's being rare. I thought it was the t-top MR2's that were harder to find.

That is so funny!!! Non-sunroof hatches are extremely rare in Florida as are MR-2 hard tops. Every 2 in FL is a T-bar lol!!! I guess that goes to show climate difference causing change in purchase options.

As for the skin swap, it doesn't look too difficult the closer I get to removing my sunroof. An ST coupe roof can not be used. It must be a hatch (narrow or wide). Also the new panel is discontinued and there are zero in the world new. Try Car-part.com in the US to find one. That's how I got mine and they should be able to save you the headliner as well. I'll be updating my thread on the subject once I start drilling welds to show how it is done.

Edit: I believe the swap saves around 46lbs if memory serves me right (it usually doesn't)

underscore

Well it IS Florida, I'd wager getting a car without a sunroof is more of an option than getting one with a sunroof.

scottytohotty

I have a 92 st185 with non sunroof and
It came factory, big difference in head room compared
To my sunroof st185. I have been told its
Pretty rare to have a non sunroof at185.

^^^ nice!!! I wish mine was a 92, but unfortunately, it isn't. the sun roof on my gts gets annoying at times. the gears inside the motor I assembly itself likes to eat at the plastic gear inside. it sucks because it always goes out randomly.. one thing I do hate about the alltrac hardtop is that there is no map light above the rear view mirror...

there is really not that much info on these hardtops! theres no confirmed weight, production numbers, options, etc. just googled it too.. not much was found

ALLensTRAC

What happened to the front lip on your 184? Out for a mold maybe?( crosses fingers lol) Cars all look great! I am super jealous you found one without the sunroof!! Oh and if you look in the weight thread by Sifu he posted the sunroof assembly weight. It was I believe 35 pounds.
You can adapt the map light from a JY sunroof car but it may require getting the metal bracket that is welded to the roof structure. I'll know more about this once I tear my headliner and sunroof out.

88gt4DE

My 165 Hardtop ... My brothers 165 Hardtop .... If mine had a sunroof I wouldn't have bought it. I never have liked them. But that comes from years of having to fix them after they broke so that's a personal hate for them .... LOL