WTA setup Wiring up a fan?

celica_gtx

so i got a 205 WTA coming in the mail that i have been in the hunt for awhile now!

im planin on picking up a heat exchanger and running a spal fan w it.
question

can i wire up a sensor off the cooler or somewhere in line to activate the fan based off temp?
I dont want to have a continuos fan running.
what temp would be ideal? or set up for a variable resistor to trick temp depending on year or racing?

im also thinking about making a small ice that i can hide under the hood valence.. not sure yet

if not, secondary choices?

would be nice to have it cycle correctly or even a "run setting" that i can toggle.

and which is the inlet/outlet.

WideFNopen

I run three 7 inch spals on a cobra he and it works great. If you have the ability to set it through your ecu then turn the fans on at startup, off at 35 mph, and on again at 15 mph.

phattyduck

Intercooler cold inlet is the side closer to the throttle body, outlet is closer to the turbo. Heat exchanger hot inlet is the top and cold outlet is the bottom. The pump should suck from the bottom of the heat exchanger and pump up to the intercooler.

You will need to wire up a relay to run the pump 100% of the time since your ECU won't control it.

If you can find a fan controller you can set to something like 100*F-120*F, go for it to automatically control the intercooler water temps. If not, just run it without a fan and see how it goes for now. Unless you are drag racing, you won't need to cool the water most of the time (any driving speed over about 15mph will keep it cool).

-Charlie

celica_gtx

Sweet thanks for the info. Ill lookba th my options. Im in az so it gets pretty hot here thats y im thinking about a fan. Just don't know where to source such things for wiring it and temp sensor relays n such

WideFNopen

What underscore said is the best solution if you are on a stock ECU.

Run a signal wire from the pump controls to a relay that feeds power to the fans. This is an excellent solution for your situation.

celica_gtx

WideFNopen":361ti7om said:
What underscore said is the best solution if you are on a stock ECU.

Run a signal wire from the pump controls to a relay that feeds power to the fans. This is an excellent solution for your situation.

What signal wire would i be running the fan off of? theres nothing on the bgb that i can find that would control temp for a fan to kick on...

other than tapping into the stock fan is all i can think of..

i was goin to tap into a wire that has 12v with key on.

phattyduck

Stock RADIATOR fan(s) turns on when the water outlet temp is 195*F and turn back off at 185*F. This is separate from the thermostat temp rating (which keeps the engine around 180*F assuming it has cool enough water coming from the radiator).

If you want to have fans separately controlled on the intercooler heat exchanger, you will want those fans to turn on in the 100-120*F range. The controller in the link you sent can only be adjusted down to 150*F, which is higher than the intercooler coolant will pretty much ever reach which means that the fans would almost never turn on.

Your current ECU doesn't have an output for the intercooler pump, so you can't use that either.

Oh - another thought... if your AC still works, your radiator fans will be on in series (low speed) whenever you have the AC on. This pulls air through the radiator (and AC condenser) - and thus also through your intercooler heat exchanger. I still think you should run it without the extra fans for now. If you are concerned, you will need to check your air intake temps and see if they actually need fixing.

-Charlie

celica_gtx

Yea ac still works. Ill try it out run it w out a fan. It'll be awhile before I can but ill update it. The only ones I've seen that can drop lower have a bigger probe. But ill figure that out later..

Know of any other decently priced places for heat exchangers other than frozen boost?

ALLensTRAC

celica_gtx":1aaauaay said:
Yea ac still works. Ill try it out run it w out a fan. It'll be awhile before I can but ill update it. The only ones I've seen that can drop lower have a bigger probe. But ill figure that out later..

Know of any other decently priced places for heat exchangers other than frozen boost?

Wasn't the one people were using a 03-04 Mustang Cobra exchanger? Or maybe an upgraded one for the mustang? I've never run a WTA so I have no personal experience with it. This just comes from reading others' project threads.

celica_gtx

^^^ yea ive seen alot of that comingn up in my searches just seen what others are doing and have to say.. but I dont want any ford parts on my alltrac :nono:

Worth lookin into tho. Most ebay heat exchangers have a fill cap n I dont want that. Already have it on the system itself dont want it creating a air pocket or separate pressure release point.

Gunna take some measurements tomorrow to get a rough idea. Might just do a half one so it not taking all the are or something that takes up most of the room

underscore

I dunno, some sort of cooler manufacturer. If you get an aftermarket one it definitely isn't from Ford.

Spectra1

underscore":2o9031pk said:
I dunno, some sort of cooler manufacturer. If you get an aftermarket one it definitely isn't from Ford.

Ya I figured almost any aftermarket cobra heat exchanger would not be made by ford, thats kind of a given. I think that most references on here about using cobra heat exchanger are referring to the oem stock unit because they are cheap, functional, and easy to get because of all the ford guys upgrading.

So are you saying the stock OEM unit is not made by ford? Just curious how you knew that?

underscore

Because most manufacturers farm stuff like that out. It might be made by Ford, but I'd guess it's most likely made by somebody else.

phattyduck

The OEM Cobra heat exchanger is made by Garrett and is very good for its size. The Cobra guys are upgrading because they are often pushing 500+HP...

-Charlie