How well will these wheels fit my car?

fruci101

I just purchased the 17" wheels that can be found on the new Scion and Subaru BRZ. Wheels are 17x7 +48mm offset with 215/45R/17 tires. I am just wondering how well these will fit in my ST185, especially with the offset. Thanks.

phattyduck

fruci101":34dura8o said:
phattyduck":34dura8o said:
Center bore is also wrong, so you will likely get some vibrations at speed.

-Charlie

Is there a way to fix that problem?
Not really for such a close difference in hub bore. Toyota 5x100 is 54.1mm and Subaru 5x100 is 56.1mm. You'd need a 1mm thick ring and they don't sell it as far as I've found (i'd love to be able to put stock Subaru wheels on my Alltrac...)

-Charlie

fruci101

phattyduck":2x4xdqr6 said:
fruci101":2x4xdqr6 said:
phattyduck":2x4xdqr6 said:

-Charlie

Not really for such a close difference in hub bore. Toyota 5x100 is 54.1mm and Subaru 5x100 is 56.1mm. You'd need a 1mm thick ring and they don't sell it as far as I've found (i'd love to be able to put stock Subaru wheels on my Alltrac...)

-Charlie

Hey guys,
So I guess they make custom fit ones at http://www.motorsport-tech.com/hub_rings.html.
On the other hand, couldn't I properly bolt the wheels on (star pattern - evenly tightening lugs up) then be fine? The lugs are tapered to center of the wheel on the studs, so as long as they're tightened up properly wouldn't I be fine without hub rings?

underscore

phattyduck":235vauoa said:
fruci101":235vauoa said:
phattyduck":235vauoa said:

-Charlie

-Charlie

Wrap a layer of 1mm tin tape?

fruci101":2agko8k6 said:
Hey guys,
So I guess they make custom fit ones at http://www.motorsport-tech.com/hub_rings.html.
On the other hand, couldn't I properly bolt the wheels on (star pattern - evenly tightening lugs up) then be fine? The lugs are tapered to center of the wheel on the studs, so as long as they're tightened up properly wouldn't I be fine without hub rings?

Yes it is completely fine to run without hubcentric rings, aslong as the wheels are tightened correctly with tapered nuts/lugs.

I have been running 70mm centrebore wheels on my car for the last 20000kms/12000miles, with some very hard gravel/sealed and grass racing, along with daily driving. And have never had any issues

With that offset, the wheel will sit very close to the rear strut (shouldn't cause any issues). Ran that exact size wheel on my car.

phattyduck

loudstealthGT-Four":1oxux2b8 said:
Yes it is completely fine to run without hubcentric rings, aslong as the wheels are tightened correctly with tapered nuts/lugs.

I have been running 70mm centrebore wheels on my car for the last 20000kms/12000miles, with some very hard gravel/sealed and grass racing, along with daily driving. And have never had any issues

With that offset, the wheel will sit very close to the rear strut (shouldn't cause any issues). Ran that exact size wheel on my car.
Its not a safety issue, but there is a very good chance that there will still be vibration even if the lug nuts are tightened correctly. Maybe only at 70mph+ or whatever, but it will be there.

-Charlie

phattyduck":2l4ccqp4 said:
Its not a safety issue, but there is a very good chance that there will still be vibration even if the lug nuts are tightened correctly. Maybe only at 70mph+ or whatever, but it will be there.

-Charlie

Not arguing with ya :D

But I beg to differ, a vibration on a wheel will be causing stress on the wheel studs (so is definitely a safety issue).

I have never had any issuses with vibrations, even while doing 200+kph/120+mph