Baller on a Budget BBK (BBBBK)

bajallama

ALLensTRAC":21dpytul said:
Cuttyman9":21dpytul said:
Those are worth nabbing just cuz lol
So those part numbers come with the disc the hat and the bolts all assembled?

Thank you for posting them!
What I was thinking is if I had two sets of bolts and a spacer bracket for my bracket(or two sets of brackets) I could swap between rotors at least that way I still have some wheel options.

Yessir it is everything!! They do not list a way to disassemble them and from me looking at the hardware it would require drilling them out. I have no experience with full floating rotor hardware so maybe someone else can chime in regarding how to remove the rotor from the hat.

Not sure if those are floating rotors.

bajallama

ALLensTRAC":14rr5fw3 said:
bajallama":14rr5fw3 said:
Can I ask why you guys are hung up on the IS350 caliper? I am pretty sure they almost identical in size and weight as the UCF30 caliper at almost 5 times the price?? I paid $80 for mine each

I tried to find the piston diameter for it and it looks like they are 42.8 mm just like the UCF30's but just don't have fancy paint (which I prefer) :shrug: or are the F sports 6 pot

I got the whole front and rear setup from an IS350 as new for free originally. I had planned to put them on my IS250 but I traded that car in on my ES. I then sold them to a buddy who had them painted Fsport blue with the decals. The calipers pictured are stock IS350 calipers. The real IS F-sport add on kit is 6 piston front 4 piston rear and are just Stoptech kits rebranded.

The IS350 caliper has non staggered pistons at 40mm x4. They are not the same as the UCF30 calipers. There is increased clearance for larger rotors, smaller pistons, lug mount, larger pad swept area, and they are Advics calipers vs. Sumitomo although I believe Advics bought or merged with Sumitomo. Doesn't matter they are both owned by Toyota.

I really wanted to use the LS calipers but you would have to grind into the fluid passages to get them to sit over the GS rotor. That and the pad annulus would not line up properly.

Gotcha, can't beat free.

ALLensTRAC

bajallama":2v3lxhfu said:
ALLensTRAC":2v3lxhfu said:
Cuttyman9":2v3lxhfu said:
Those are worth nabbing just cuz lol
So those part numbers come with the disc the hat and the bolts all assembled?

Thank you for posting them!
What I was thinking is if I had two sets of bolts and a spacer bracket for my bracket(or two sets of brackets) I could swap between rotors at least that way I still have some wheel options.

Yessir it is everything!! They do not list a way to disassemble them and from me looking at the hardware it would require drilling them out. I have no experience with full floating rotor hardware so maybe someone else can chime in regarding how to remove the rotor from the hat.

Not sure if those are floating rotors.

Yes they are in fact full floating rotors. Look on Lexus's site about the F-sport GS and they list it. I had to take a bunch of new model training on that car so I know. I wish I could get good pics of the hardware but it's difficult to see. Maybe I'll order a spare set and take these apart as I want to get the hat anodized or coated in some way.

bajallama

Wow ya that's awesome then. If it's similar to a motorcycle then the they are like a one time use fastener, they have to be drilled out to be removed. That is probably why they are replacing the whole rotor under the TSB.

Cuttyman9

On the F sport I didnt see where they used the 6 pots, I only saw a caliper similar to the is350 one.
the isf def uses a 6 pot.

ALLensTRAC

Cuttyman9":1vft19m8 said:
On the F sport I didnt see where they used the 6 pots, I only saw a caliper similar to the is350 one.
the isf def uses a 6 pot.

The GS Fsport does not. It uses a different mono block body with IS350 specs.

The IS250/350 has an available add on F sport brake kit which is 6 piston front and 4 piston rear using large 2-piece drilled rotors. This is only available as an add on through the F sport accessory catalog. These kits have been confirmed as Stoptech kits rebranded as Fsport.

The ISF uses 1 piece 14.25 drilled front rotors with brembo 6 piston front calipers and 345mm rear 1 piece drilled rear rotors with 2 piston brembo calipers.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Cuttyman9

Haha yeah, I never really looked into it.

I ordered a pair of those rotors.
Should be interesting to see what shows up.

I realized on the rear of my car I can remove the backing plate and it removes the two ears for the calipers which is cool cuz I can do away with all of that, make a backing plate/bracket that houses some wilwood mechanical E brake calipers and a pair of dual pot calipers to plop on (whichever I decide on) then a reasonable sized rotor with no worries of drum sizes.

underscore

I noticed something interesting working on my 1987 RX7 the other day, the rear brake caliper serves as both the rear brakes and the ebrake. It has the normal hydraulic connection and then some kind of internal system that allows the cable connection to operate the caliper hydraulicly. Presumably this isn't the only car that does this sort of thing, so could retrofitting a caliper set up like this allow us to remove the factory drum style ebrake and not worry about rotor sizing as much?

ALLensTRAC

Cuttyman9":8ygopjn6 said:
Haha yeah, I never really looked into it.

I ordered a pair of those rotors.
Should be interesting to see what shows up.

I realized on the rear of my car I can remove the backing plate and it removes the two ears for the calipers which is cool cuz I can do away with all of that, make a backing plate/bracket that houses some wilwood mechanical E brake calipers and a pair of dual pot calipers to plop on (whichever I decide on) then a reasonable sized rotor with no worries of drum sizes.

Oh now that is definitely the ideal solution although I'm not sure how close our rear spindle backing plate stud pattern matches up to the 184's. If you do decide to make that bracket I would be interested in buying them. This is a great weight reducer to as then we can run a 2 piece rear rotor with a smaller hub. Maybe with this you could make it for the MKIV supra rear rotor using those LS calipers the OP has or the 300zx calipers could work too! So many possibilities using the Wilwood parking brake calipers!! Look at Alltrac101's project thread as there are pics of his rear bracket using wilwood stuff.

MWP

I think the LS430 rear calipers will work with a ST205 rotor on the back of a 185 (not sure about 165).
With the weight at the front, and the shift in CoG, the rears dont do too much, so I cant see the need to go any larger than the 205 rotor on the rear.
I might end up running LS430 calipers all round... ive found a set for $500.

BTW... some cars also run two rear calipers.
One for the handbrake/ebrake and one for normal braking.
Handbrake/ebrake should NEVER be hydraulic.

bajallama

If you run a larger rear rotor than the legacy, then the UCF30 rear caliper should work, but if you go that route just bolt on the 205 calipers. That's the cost effective solution I came to if you can get some 205 rear rotors. I'm going to post the excel sheet soon, just been lazy. AE86 rear calipers are integrated caliper/ebrake. Its usually a simple lever that pushes on a screw that turns into the pad to clamp. On my old vw I had a line lock as a parking brake, but they typically loose pressure after a while. There's a thread on MR2OC of a guy with an SW20 that did UCF30 calipers all around with MK1V supra rotors all around.

On a side note, MWP, how is that electric steering working out so far? I want to do the conversion but the previous owner did the ghetto power steering to manual rack conversion (the miata forum one) pretty much ruining my rack I believe. I want to use the Rav4 column like you did, will any power steering computer work? The guy with the Sera EV seem to have no issues with a ABS computer. How did you convert your rack other than the way the Miata guys do it?

MWP

Finding 205 calipers is the problem, and the wrecker wants $400 for just the LS430 fronts, or $500 for front & back.

Copy & past those EPS questions in my build thread ;)
This thread will get very OT if i answer them in here.

bajallama

I saw a pair of rears for $200 on eBay not too long ago, you can get the whole rear end for about $500 sometimes. Also check on just buying reman LS calipers, I got them here in the US for $80 each shipped (fronts and rears).

Cool, thanks. I'll post up there.

GT4_DRED

Just as an FYI.. Just by boredom I tried to bolt the st205 rear calipers to my SC300 and they fit just fine with the oe SC3 rotors. I'm currently running Supra TT calipers on the SC3 which bolted up and allowed me to use the larger TT rotors. TT calipers may work fine with the larger st205 rotors.

bajallama

So you're saying that the TT calipers and the 205 rear calipers are identical in bolt pattern?? I thought that was true but I read a thread where it was not the case and said it was dimensionally the same, but the bolt pattern was different. I was thinking of just bolting on some SC300/MK14 NA rear calipers if thats the case with the legacy rotors. (I don't really care for 2 piston rears as long as the clamp force is adequate.)

ALLensTRAC

GT4_DRED":34gzbych said:
Just as an FYI.. Just by boredom I tried to bolt the st205 rear calipers to my SC300 and they fit just fine with the oe SC3 rotors. I'm currently running Supra TT calipers on the SC3 which bolted up and allowed me to use the larger TT rotors. TT calipers may work fine with the larger st205 rotors.

If you get bored again would you be willing to take a picture of the rear backing plate bolt pattern? I'm pretty sure the backing plate will swap to the Alltrac which means we could run the 190mm parking brake shoes. Also did you by chance bolt the TT caliper onto your 165?

I believe member Celi-GT4 had MKIV rear brakes on his 185 with redrilled rotors. He's mentioned it in a few posts but I can't find any pictures.

bajallama

ALLensTRAC":1dqzux9y said:
GT4_DRED":1dqzux9y said:

If you get bored again would you be willing to take a picture of the rear backing plate bolt pattern? I'm pretty sure the backing plate will swap to the Alltrac which means we could run the 190mm parking brake shoes. Also did you by chance bolt the TT caliper onto your 165?

I believe member Celi-GT4 had MKIV rear brakes on his 185 with redrilled rotors. He's mentioned it in a few posts but I can't find any pictures.

I have read similar, but read the exact opposite elsewhere.

Cuttyman9

What I could do is take an sc300/400 rear caliper, plop it onto the fwd celicas I find in the yards to verify the pattern.

My idea was to use this independent of the caliper for braking purposes

120-12069-BK which are a shade under 200 shipped for a pair new.

Without the backing bits and shoes and crap I just have to make a bracket and pick a rotor/caliper

Pretty neat about the sc300 stuff, I'll let y'all know what I find out

I wonder if the parking brake stuff has the same pattern on the back of the SC too... hmm there are so many to look at in the yards now days it should be pretty easy to research there. It would be nice to have a 5x114.3 rotor to work with.

bajallama

Cuttyman, why not use the legacy upgraded rotor mention in the beginning that Allen talks about. You can use the stock parking brake with modifications that I show.

After seeing this I did some digging regarding the Leggy GT rotors. They are 290mm diameter stock. It looks as though Racingbrake.com carries a 316x18mm rotor upgrade for them. This might be a good option for US available rotors that could be used with 205 rear calipers.