Insanity-74s ST205 Rally Hybrid build

Insanity-74

Well a bit more progress, some high build primer into the engine bay, the epoxy mastic is so rough its going to take several coats of primer, sand down, more primer etc etc to get an even half flat finish.

Somethings missing.....oh yea, everything

adding some seam sealer now. need more masking tape

Insanity-74

Well, a bit of work today, decided to refurbish a set of spare brake Calipers I had, they are in mint condition so didnt need much fettling, I took them to bits, removed all the seals etc, the bolts will be sent away to get zinc plated.

The callipers were painted with Eastwood chassis black extreme, a beautiful paint that goes on very nicely and has a great finish.

and a hint as to what the finished callipers will look like

Insanity-74

Well after getting over a rather mild winter, i have ventured back into the garage.

I have finally stripped my pride and joy down to a bare shel and it has been shipped off to the great B road in the sky.

After saying goodbye to it I have been trying to find space for all the parts I now have, the garage is full to the brim with car parts, plus I had to buy a small wooden shed to store more stuff in....so the garage is a bit of a mess.

i manged to clear myself a small patch of surface to resume work on.

First off was the clutch master cylinder, i know its only small and probably not of much interest but its a step in the right direction. I could have done with sending the shaft away to get zinc plated as I am not happy with its finish, but i guess as it will never be seen it will have to do.

I have replaced the insides with a brand new piston and seals. Painted the body black and cleaned up the reservoir.

Then i made a start on the brake master cylinder and vacuum cylinder. it was a bit rusty so after a soak in Bilt Hamber Deox C rust remover and a quick wire brushing I have primered it and this is where I could do with your help.......

Baring in mind everything in the car will be either black, silver or the colour of the car, what colour shall i paint the vacuum housing? as i want to paint the cylinder black to match the clutch master cylinder I was thinking about painting it the same colour as the car so that there is a bit of contrast...or should I go with standard black?

Currently primered and waiting for me to make my mind up....excuse the mess.

cheers all

Nial

Insanity-74

So, i went with black, looks ok. Will contrast well against the silver of all the braided hoses.

Another box of bits (mostly bolts) arrived back from the electroplaters.

should be fun trying to remember where all the bolts go...i give myself about an 80% chance of getting it wrong :)

I also managed a few smaller jobs, put the ignitor assembly back together along with the nice shiny dipstick holed, wiper motor which i finally managed to get the bolts for, and the steering shaft gaiter.

it should look nice on the bulkhead

Nearly got the front driveshafts finished, just need to locate a replacement vibration damper for the right side drive shaft.

The brake stopper polished up well

front hubs also came back from the electroplaters.

A box of parts ready to be sent off to the electroplaters when i get back rom Florida

still nothing of much substance really, just all little jobs that make the big jobs easier.

A few weeks of nothing now while I go on my honeymoon :)

should be big progress when I get back as i will be putting the suspension back on etc :)

Insanity-74

Well got a bunch of tstuff back from the zinc platers and got a few more things back together.

The brake and clutch pedals refurbished and ready to be refitted

I took the power steering pump apart, there's quite a few bits inside that all decide they want to head in many different directions when you open the thing up.

And the tensioner for the alternator belt

The next task is building a new dolly to help transport the shell around as it doesn't fit on a car transporter with the current dolly, time to break out the welder again.

Insanity-74

It's about time I had a new rotisserie, so I have made this one to be very strong, to be able to rotate the car, obviously, but also to enable it to be transported it's wheel width will match that of a car transporter ramps, it's adjustable in both length and height :D a step up from the wooden supports I was using :lol:

Should finish it tomorrow :thumbsup:

Insanity-74

I still wasn't happy with the way the paint was on the bottom of the car, so I sent it away to get media blasted and a professional to spray a super tough primer onto the shell.

Sent the shell away for Media blasting at last, and it's done.

Along with a super tough primer/undercoat....not the final colour, but quite a nice colour, not sure if it would suit a celica or not.....think I will stick with me original colour :D

Insanity-74

Some details of the rotisserie.....this is the front, you can see how the box sections fit together and hold the car

The front again,

And the rear, I needed to do this so the pivot point was at the cars centre of balance

Insanity-74

Well, I have managed to sort myself out with a compressor. Got myself a reasonable compressor to start off with and a few bits n bobs.

First off because I have no space in the garage I built a little shed to house the compressor.

It is well ventilated and sound proofed so it dosnt annoy the neighbours too much.

Feeds through to a filter and extendable hose

I need to add more filters though as the one I have dosnt remove all the moisture out of the airline.

I went back to the good old epoxy mastic 121 from rustbusters, thinned out the full 15% it goes on quit nicely and easily.

I am sure Manny will take one look at this and shake his head with shame with the conditions I have to work in, but there is an Old Scottish Expression
which goes........"You can only piss with the cock you've got" :) unfortunately I dont have a nice big garage.....yet, plans are to build one eventually :)

As its the first thing I have ever sprayed in my life (with a proper air gun, done plenty with aerosols) I will plastic sheet out the garage when it comes to applying the top coat but as all I am doing is the underside it dosent matter too much, I will leave the top side to the professionals :)

This needs to dry now for at least a week :( I will then do a coat of undercoat, final colour, then some ultra tough high gloss clearcoat.

Insanity-74

A bit of an interlude from working on the car all the time.......a mornings driving through the forrest in an Evo.

Although you can't see, I am driving, great fun, can't wait to do it again.

Insanity-74

This is the last and final time I have a go at making a hybrid front bumper, mkIII, hopefully this will live up to my expectations before I use up the worlds supply of excess gt4 & late spec 6gem front bumpers :D

Finally got this glued together, if you want to have a go yourself, this is how I did it.

Once you have cut the two halves of the bumper and matched them up you need to start by drilling a series of holes about an inch from the join about three or four inches apart.

I then zip tied the two ends together and then started zip tying towards the middle, as I went I put the wire mesh on the back

The front

The back before the glue is applied

And with the glue applied and pressed into all the mesh and holes

There is more to do but I need to let the glue fully cure overnight at least. I will then add a bit more glue into the bits I missed and fill in any holes in the join.

A bit of scratch fabrication today, it's still a bit rough and needs finishing off, but it's a...........well, can you guess what it is :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

Insanity-74

Nearly finished

Started putting stuff together now, just a question....what grade of threadlock to use on the rear diff bolts.....remembering that the rear diff plate is alloy.

Hub tastic :thumbsup:

Brand new backing plates that I have painted to give extra protection :thumbsup: just need to get the bearings pressed in now then I can start putting the suspension back together :clap:

Insanity-74

A bit of minor fabrication, the centre beam copying of treadles car for mounting oil coolers, the two (yet to be welded) fron supports for the FMIC, I hope they are long enough as I had to guess the size and position.

Insanity-74

Can't decide if I like it or not, a GT4 letterbox vent on the back bumper.....at least I have somewhere to hide the fog light now

:clap:

Insanity-74

Thanks.

Getting all excited today as a big order of paints, stone guard etc should be arriving, and hopefully the new deatschwerks fuel pump to replace the walbro 8)