Ideas for 165 hood vents

ZeroDrift

Looks good. How was the clearance underneath in that area? I had to shave some of the underside from mine. Oh yeah- try taping some 3" yarn tufts around the area to see how they perform.

monkey8oi

Clearance wasn't an issue.. I measured and placed it right next to the shock tower and right in front of the stock strut bar.. I also have the hood raised so that it doesn't hit the valve cover or intercooler

___Scott___

I've had this idea in my head for a very long time, but haven't had the time, tools, shop space etc... to do it. Finally everything fell into place this summer and here is a peek at how I envisioned a hood vent for the ST165:

ST165%20Hood%20vent%20-%20in%20gray%20primer%20-%20wet%20sanded.jpg

ST165%20Hood%20vent%20-%20in%20gray%20primer%20-%20wetsandedtoo.jpg

The primary objective was to let some heat out from under the hood, but a secondary and also important objective was that the vent should look like it could have come from the factory that way. I've driven it to work for a week with the vent and it definitely makes a difference. Before the vent, by the time I get there and start looking for a space in the parking garage, the under hood temps would have the engine bogging and slow to respond to throttle inputs. With the vent it's just as responsive as it normally is when the engine has just started warming up in the morning.

Sorry for the crappy pics but I've taken dozens of pics just to get something this good. It's difficult to capture the shape in a snapshot while the hood is in flat gray primer. Obviously I'm not a great photographer.

___Scott___

ZeroDrift":3mu1rce2 said:
Looks like a vent from a Subaru Legacy. Have to admit it looks good!
Correct and thanks.

I've had my eye on those scoops for a long time. They are not too tall, about the right width and they sit in a pretty flat part of the hood. The catch was that to get the scoop you also needed the metal that it sits in and you need to weld it in and finish it all off so that it looks like it belongs. Earlier this summer I happened to be at the local Pull&Pay and spotted a Legacy wagon with a complete hood in good shape near an 89 ST162 that I was snagging a few parts from which also had a hood in good shape so I bought them both and got to work.

It might have worked better if I had placed the vent farther forward, but I didn't think it looked good there. So far it seems like the benefit is mostly at low speeds anyway so aerodynamic considerations appear to be a non-issue for my daily driver.

killemalltrac

That legacy vent looks awesome! Very nice work. I am going to be doing the CS vent in mine soon and it will be a similar project. (I'm not a HUGE fan of the CS vent on the 165 but I have an extra hood so why not?)

___Scott___

Exactly, why not!

I think the CS vent looks good on the ST165, and yet it seems out of place. I still say do it.

A welding tip: Put a block of either copper or aluminum under where you are going to weld and clamp it on tight. Make sure to grind away paint so the block is directly against the steel and make sure the clamp point is close to the weld point. When you weld, heat will dissipate into the block instead of the surrounding steel and this will greatly reduce warping on the thin metal.

Ford junkie

Hi everyone here is my idea I came up with using a 98 Subaru scoop and vents I finished cutting the holes in the extra hood I had so I didn't mess up mine on my 89 st165, so now all I have to do is do some final fitting mudding and paint. What you think 8)
[album][/album]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,596
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,596

ZeroDrift

Not bad, although the scoop in my opinion doesn't fit the car too well. I am curious as to what it looks like when its on the car.

___Scott___

That scoop would make sense if you had an air-to-air intercooler sitting below it, and the proper duct work to force air through it. For the purpose of getting heat out of an otherwise stock ST165 engine bay, the scoop should turn around to function as a vent.

The other two vents have a step in them to work with the contour of the Subie hood. I'm not sure how to make them work in the flat ST165 hood.

That particular set of vents/scoop is something I looked at when considering how to get heat out of my engine bay, but I just couldn't see a good way to make it work.

Ford junkie

️️Thks for the suggestions , yes I been looking at turning the scoop around and thinking of welding a ledge under so I can counter set them and cut some metal in a tear shape and weld and build the inner parts of the vents to make the vents look more factory. Wrk still in progress !