Insanity-74s ST205 Rally Hybrid build

Hotrodhendrix

dang just went over your whole build thread and you sir do some great work. Very impressed. Makes me want to rip mine down that far :D

Insanity-74

Hotrodhendrix":1dvlnvqw said:
dang just went over your whole build thread and you sir do some great work. Very impressed. Makes me want to rip mine down that far :D

Thank you very much :D

I would say only start a project like this if you have a lot of spare time, don't mind being without your car for years, have a good memory cause I can't remember where half this stuff goes, might look like a different car when I am done :lol: oh and a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, had I realised how much this was going to cost I wouldn't have bothered, I would have used the cash to buy a 99 St205 and enjoyed driving it.

Some more goodies turned up today.

A complete superstrut system which I must say is F'in expensive, I hope never to have to buy all this lot in one go ever again. I hate saying goodbye to £1300 ($2095) at once. Less free cash this month :(

Also this which should more than handle my fuelling needs :)

Awaiting more tomorrow, hopefully some steel tube for some more fabrication, a special stone guard paint gun so I can try and apply some of that stuff, oh and some plastic sheet so I can burry the bodies....err err I mean protect the car when spraying it.

Right, better go and hide this lot in the garage before my misses finds out and I end up sleeping with the dog.......and we don't even have a dog.

BNZ

Well you don't named yoursrelf insanity for nothing ! At least you are true to your name :lol:

celigts

Fantastic work! Wish mine didn't have so much rust cuz I'd love to strip and restore mine like this as a car for my son or something

MWP

Insanity-74":2z32yo5k said:
A complete superstrut system which I must say is F'in expensive, I hope never to have to buy all this lot in one go ever again.

Why? Was yours damaged or something.

BTW... you know the TTE 205's didnt run super-strut ;)
There is a guy on FB selling lots of old TTE suspension parts, you probably could have got full TTE tarmac struts for not much more moola.

Insanity-74

MWP":khs703mr said:
Insanity-74":khs703mr said:
A complete superstrut system which I must say is F'in expensive, I hope never to have to buy all this lot in one go ever again.

Why? Was yours damaged or something.

BTW... you know the TTE 205's didnt run super-strut ;)
There is a guy on FB selling lots of old TTE suspension parts, you probably could have got full TTE tarmac struts for not much more moola.

The old suspension parts were old and got sent off to scrap about a year ago. With the effort going into this project I am not "making do" with old parts, I will just moan about the price of new parts :D it helps me feel better :lol: :lol:

Yes I know TTE didn't use susperstrut, well actually they did up to a point. But it's not a simple task, TTE McPherson has a different hub carrier, this takes a different hub which in turn takes a different driveshaft, which I don't think fits into the standard gearbox. Swapping over to TTE stuff is NEVER the cheaper option, it's all expensive , bespoke and very hard to come by.

Insanity-74

Thank you all 8)

Spent the evening spraying on stone guard, it's kinda slow and very messy, lots of masking off needed, I don't particularly like the finish, but I will have to live with it as I know it's protecting the car as much as possible. Hopefully I won't lose this GT4 to rust :shoots:

Insanity-74

Well today has been a turning point, firstly, it's nice painting brand new things, the susperstrut parts have been given two coats of POR15 to help protect them, they are now nice and shiny :)

I have also been getting to grips with my new spray gun, top feed guns are sooooo much better, hardly any waste at all, the Max Meyer paint is a pleasure to use, the two pack filler primer has gone on great, the stone guard has gone on, although I need a couple more litres to finish it to the standard I want., not the ultra smooth finish I was wanting. But I am happy knowing it has the added protection, started spraying the inside and the engine bay, will finish underneithe once the extra stone guard turns up....the. It's onto colour and putting stuff back on, if I get the interior, underside and engine bay done I can start putting it all back together, get the wiring done, interior fitted, suspension text on, tank refitted, brakes etc all sorted out, that leaves just the engine and exterior to do which will be up to someone else as I will get pros to do those parts.

Bearing press should turn up Wednesday so I can get the wheels on, just need to be quick so I can get this bit of painting done before the weather turns and it's too cold to paint........it's going to be a long winter if I don't do it in time :(

Insanity-74

Not really much to show, but it keeps record of my progress.

Under the front arches, nice and thick stone guard, but not too thick :D

The engine bay nicely primered,

you can just make out the line where the stone guard stops.

The bulkhead primered, but needs more work to get it right, and about a million threaded holes need the threads cleaning too, which is going to be a fun job one day.

toybota

I don't know if anyone mentioned this to you. But in the future if you burn a hole welding something(like the hatch) you can hold a piece of copper behind the hole and fill it in (A piece bigger than the hole). The steel will not fuse with copper. This also works for filling big gaps. Generally use a vice grip on the piece of copper and hold the vice grip because copper, being the magnificent conductor it is, gets very hot, very quickly. :)

Taylor

Insanity-74

Yea I heard about the copper thing, all be it too late :lol: but hey you live and learn, trouble is a replacement hatch is probably cheaper and easier to source that a block of copper. Should I ever plan to do anymore welding I will certainly invest though, might save me some grief :shrug: 8)

Insanity-74

Today is a good day.

Definitely a great day.

At last I have put colour to car and I must say it looks f'in brilliant, I so love the colour. It goes on very well, is very forgiving and is the perfect colour, love it, very happy bunny today. Well chuffed.......and it's only the engine bay, imagine how happy I cam going to be when I paint the topside :D I will be smiling so much the top of my head will fall off :)

Only the first layer, a small amount of flating to do, then more colour.