Bempa´s Celica ST165 -89

Bempa

Hello everyone.

This is my Celica i bought unseen as a forgotten project car.
DSC01485 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

As you can see it´s been a 5 star hotel for the rats the last couple of years.
DSC01474 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

The smell in the car was awful! I cleaned the interior three times with all the strong stuff I could find! The smell went away! ..... For one day! Then it was back again! Decided to replace the whole interior,
A nice surprise beneath the carpet was the lack of rust :D
DSC01494 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

88gt4DE

Welcome ! Nice project , exterior looks nice. Prol had rat pee in the carpet. Good call to dump it. Good Luck with the project and keep posting pics ! 8)

Bempa

Well I think it was more than just rat pee in the carpet, I bet it was most kind of rat body fluids in that carpet, I have never smelled something that bad in a car! :cry:

Bempa

The guy who sold the car told me that it would run if I just put a battery in, tried that one! Of course it did not start.
Could not hear the buzzing from the fuelpump so decided to drop the fuel tank for a change.

When I finally got the fuel tank down after som wrestling with rusted nuts&bolts I could take a look at the fuel pump, It was not a pretty sight.

DSC01443 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

Took a peek inside the tank, think I need to replace it later, but that will be later.
Badly rusted inside, this car has been sitting still for many years, and this is one of the results after that

DSC01445 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

After the fuelpump change the car started and run. :D

I must show you guys the level of repairs from the previous owner, I have found some very interesting repairs but this one takes the 10,000 dollar price

When i opened the hood that hose repair between turbo and intercooler got me curious!
DSC01433 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

So I cut trough the duct tape to see whats going on. this is what I found!
IMAG0166 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

It´s a TOILET PAPER ROLL!! :shrug:

Bempa

Well it's a creative repair, but really stupid. A new OEM hose is $100, need to find either a used OEM or another solution.

88gt4DE

Wow ... just wow. Yeah go aftermarket on the hose. My fuel tank looked the same way. After searching everywhere for one I sent it to a company in MD and had it re-done. $500 bucks but comes with a lifetime warranty ... and they had that thing back to me in 2 weeks flat ... info on my project build somewhere ....

Bempa

Issue with turbo hose is solved for now, got a ss pipe with silicone hoses to connect to IC and turbo and a blue BOV. That will do for now because that´s what I found in the garage. Need to make it look OEM later on. I do not like it when you can see that it´s not OEM. But this car is supposed to be on a budget so can´t buy everything new.

Here´s some pictures with old-new interior.
IMAG0167 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr
DSC01500 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

Ohhhh.... I really need to clean the carpet where the pedals are, and the pedals! That look dirty......

These little bastards always seem to be broken in the Celicas! Lucky that they are not that expensive.
DSC01508 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

Bempa

DoorBezelClips by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

Thats a view from Microcat, I dont know if you have same EPC as here in Europe. But it´s under fig nr. 67.03
and part numbers is 90468-04124 and 90468-04125.

Its the bezel for passanger side, maybe thats you think it looks so smal since the one on passenger is smaller.

I also used to work for a Toyota dealer here in Sweden, did quit maybe 6-7 years ago and went on to V.A.G cars and then some other works. But it´s still Toyota in my heart, I currently own 5 Toyotas :twisted:

88gt4DE

Ahhh ok. I'll have to look into that bezel clip thing again. US models the bezels are both big. At least on mine they are ... 5 Toyotas ... I remember having 3 at one time and a jeep. The up keep killed me ...

Bempa

Sorry for not updating, but life is busy with family, little daughter and cars.
Have been doing some work on the car, sorted aout some exhaust leaks and oil leaks from turbocharger, fixed a oil leak from oilpan aswell. And mainly fixin small stuff that have been tempered with trying to get car ready for some winter abuse.

Bad news is it seems like center coupling is not working, only one front wheel is spinning. have anoyne managed to rebuilt a center coupling. I know that Toyota says it´s not rebuildable, but have anyone tried?

Also got a coolant leak from water radiator for interccoler and a bad misfiring when engine gets up to operating temperature.

Oil pan installed by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

Oilpan back on to fix that oil leak.

Oil pan installed by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

Cleaning som oily bolts

DSC_0118 by Benny_Gustavson, on Flickr

Painted water lines

underscore

The only person I've ever heard of rebuilding the viscous coupler is Mario, and from the sounds of things it's a very complex procedure. You're probably best off getting a used one from someone parting out their car. I'd do a quick check on the drive selector under the car to make sure someone didn't leave it in 2WD mode by mistake first.

Bempa

Sad to say it's not in 2wd mode. Is the coupler operating with own oil or the same oil as the gearbox?