TOYOBD1 Android data logger for 3S-GTE ST185,ST205

zf_165_gt

Hi guys.
this may be old news to some but I'll make an official post here anyway.

I have designed a device that allows datalogging on OBD1 3S-GTE (st185 1992-1993) , st205.
it needs an android cell phone for the application to run. (no Apple port yet$$$$)

poor quality video showing it working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_NYN44ZsQA

overview
http://jfbreton.blogspot.ca/2014/07/toy ... vague.html

it works on many other toyota engines too, heres the list
http://jfbreton.blogspot.ca/2014/02/toy ... gines.html

I sell them through international air mail and paypal.
35 CAD$ + shipping depending on where you are

most details can be found on my blog in various posts.

quieter

he made me one of these, really nice to have and you actually have an exact temp of your coolant!!! i highly recommend this

CMS-GT4

Cool project. Shame it isn't IOS. Other than the annual fee to sell in the app store, what keeps you from publishing on IOS.

underscore

How is the device hooked to the car? I'm very interested in one of these, I've got a couple old Android phones that could be repurposed for this.

zf_165_gt

It cant work on 3s-gte before the year 1992 because there is no data stream that is coming out of the ECU. the older ecus dont not work that way, but yeah inside they use the same processor architecture so given a different program it would work.

zf_165_gt

no pc app yet, I want to have defined the final shape of the android version before starting ports to other platforms, wont be open source
I am interested to hear what people want in the future releases so some precise features may be added this way.

If you want to run this on a PC just use Cartester8000, it still does the basic job,most people fall in the usb-rs232 incompatibility nightmare or quest for a working setup when going this route, I had quite a hard time myself. that was one of the issues I wanted to get rid off when I designed OBD1READ, and taking advantage of the sleeping processing power in our pockets..

underscore

I like the temp alarm, what else can be alarmed on with this? What kind of programming is required to generate the graphics? Since this will be closed source would it be possible to have us customize the way it's displayed on screen?

zf_165_gt

underscore,
An android application is written in Java, using APIs provided through google. as for the graph mode there is no magic there, canvas and custom drawing logic. at that point it is similar to any other OS/System/Platform.

there is no other value that has an alarm since I did not taugh it usefull ,
-kock sensor detection flag might have been interesting but it seems so rare it never happened to my cars and to any logs I analyzed from people that sent some back to me,
I did not found it usefull to add an MPG calculator and a trip computer,even the graphical display at first, yet I did the graph display, mpg calculator and I am working now on the trip computer as people wanted it, so If you can convince me of something that will be usefull to many person I may be adding it next.

it may be more off an engine health analysis logic which would require a display mode for itself

- never reaching operating temperature after driving a car for a long time is a condition where it would be common sense to alert the driver that his car is showing signs of cooling defects...
- missing or misleading sensor readings: say tps,ox,spd,IDL switch,ECT, no crank sensor signal, (all those sensors would be connected yet their reading would be acceptable enough to not trigger an error code but those readings would be wildly innacurate, in such a condition you either test with a multimeter each one, or look in the application to get readings...)
-everlasting 'TE+E1' state (this is a misleading name that will be changed soon, it indicates your ecu is in self diagnostic mode,so if it is always ON your ecu suspects something wrong, even if there is no error codes stored yet, on perfect cars it goes off as soon as car speeds are rising above aprox 3 kmh)
-bad vaccum at idle (for map sensor engines), out of range VAF reading at idle for AFM engines( might require data logs from users to build something accurate for this one)
-long INJ opening duration at ( operating temperature && low engine loads )=seems like an out of spec fuel consumption ( might require data logs from users to build something accurate for this one)

I am already working on refactoring the text display mode for better use of space and readability , improving how we configure the app with less concentration.
some people would like fancy gauges instead of text values and a graph..

CMS-GT4

Any chance that a wideband might be able to link into this and that can be added to the data log?

Corey

Just tried the app on my BB Passport - seems to work :)

Are you still taking orders? I'd like one please.

Corey

zf_165_gt

Hi guys,
just to convince more people that the obd1 protocol is useful even tho it is slow..
Diagnostic capabilities on stock ecus are way better than error codes will ever allow.

It helped me make the day for an ST165 guy on the 26th dec. Solving an issue he inherited from the tuner guy that installed his ST205 engine last summer WITHOUT even looking at the car wiring itself.

here is the exact post from my facebook toyobd1 user groups.( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1505898572959292/ )

Never overestimate someone else`s engine swap wiring job to be right.
adding engine issues that no one could suspect diagnose or correct...

ST205 swap into an ST165 celica, stock ecu,stock everything.
fuel consumption ranges from 20l/100km while crusing to 87l/100km under acceleration, no power, ignition cannot keep up with the amount of fuel to burn under acceleration. no meaningful error codes helping to diagnose.(code 12 crank sensor problem)

Here`s a hard one that I got to solve using TOYOBD1.
Let me start by saying I never even got to look at the wiring itself, finding the problem only by looking at data. the solution is explained at the end of the post,

After a data logging session with toyobd1 here are the things that surfaced.
-no missing sensor
-there is nothing wrong with the rpm signal so the error code IS misleading.
-igition locked at 5deg btdc all the time.
-heavy use of the IAC valve all the time
-always in open loop.
-heavy fuel consumption is confirmed
-ox sensor (fuel trim) is at the maximum value for rich mixture all the time
THERE is ONE more fact that explains everything tho!!!
-STA is on all the time

explanations------------------
-when the starter is running STA is on
-when staring the ignition is about 5deg btdc
-when starting the IAC valve can be used to make things easier
-when starting there is fuel enrichment, seems like base fuel map * a large %
-when starting the ecu is probably in Open Loop

OK so WHY is STA on all the time??
Because the guy that did the wiring job wired STA to a constant 12v source due to a lack of knowledge and the ecu thinks it is always starting, regardless of engine speed,temperature or load...
solution was to correctly connect the STA wire like in the wiring diagram..

here is the data log from that session.(when STA was always ON)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2a2fax6gdwdr ... 9.csv?dl=0

Corey

This little gadget is great!

Tried it out today with my mixmatch setup of ST205 EFI and MR2 ECU with my 89 engine harness (which meant I had to connect it directly to the ECU since my diagnostic port doesn't have a TE2 pin). Just to test it I simply pushed the 4 wires into the pins of the ECU jumper harness. It came with very clear instructions on setting it up.

Worked like a charm - no problems connecting to my Blackberry passport. Drove around a bit and discovered my fuel consumption and coolant temps, plus a whole load of other readings. It also has a cool trip computer function.

Will be keeping it in my glovebox for future use.