AMR Engineering Coilovers

mike325ci

Is anyone here actually running a set of AMR Engineering Coilovers for their ST185?

I was surprised they have it for our cars on their site: http://www.amrengineering.com/product/1 ... coilovers/
when from what I know from our club, no one here has it... I wonder who or what made them even make one for a car that has such a small market...?

If you look at some of the discussion on MR2OC, they are, for the money, high quality products unlike the Chinese/Taiwanese made stuff that everyone seems to run:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=3 ... hlight=AMR
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=3 ... hlight=AMR

I have AMR Engineering coilovers for my AW11 MR2. They seem like quality units for the price ($1500). Revalving costs $75 and is done by the manufacturer in Seattle, which I think is a huge plus versus imported brands. Lifetime warranty on the units, they claim no one has blown a shock yet. You can order them with custom spring rates, or you can tell them what you're looking to do with your car and they will help talk over the best setup for you...

Anyways, I thought I'd ask, since most people here are running Teins, BC Racing, or maybe cheaper stuff like Megan Racing, etc...

Personally, it's good quality coilovers or just stick with my Whiteline/Koni combo...

underscore

They look really nice, for being made over here I'd say they look to be priced fairly well. Being able to revalve them over here is definitely a plus as well. For less than that price though I was able to get my BC RAM types with more features (inverted tubes, etc). Getting custom spring and damper rates for no extra charge is a big plus (although BC gave me the spring rates I wanted at no cost as well).

Simba

I am. Slightly higher quality than Tein, much higher than the chinese junk. They are priced very well for what you get.

lumbercis

BC's are cheaper because they're crap. Fine for holding up your car on the street, but not really suitable if performance is important to you.

Easy way to find out if AMR is legit...ask for shock dynos of an individual set of coilovers that you intend to purchase (not a generic 'all our shocks are like this' dyno). If they can't produce the shock dynos of the individual shocks they intend to sell you they're certainly crap like most aftermarket coilovers.

I think your Whiteline/Koni setup is the best off-the-shelf solution you're going to find.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

gt4tified

lumbercris, I assume you have experience with the BC racing setup? Care to post some more details please? I was considering going that route in a short while.

Domspun

Look a lot better than my Chinese coil-overs! Anyway, mine were 700$ shipped and survived my accident, so I'm not complaining. If I have the funds, I would gave them a try.

mike325ci

kdog74":18ip9jua said:
At the first post, I notice the amr link. went to it and seen where it said assembled in usa. GET IT?

well the springs are Hyperco, which are all made in the USA-- and the optional Swift springs are made in Japan.
i don't know where the shock components or the housing is made, but most of the work/difference in making a quality shock is in how it's assembled, and tuned (valved).

at that price point, i'm sure there is overseas manufacturing involved, that's just how business works. else go ahead and pay $8000 for a set of penskes...

CMS-GT4

Is the body height adjustable as well or only the spring perch. It's hard to tell from the pics.

MWP

kdog74":2cdz9mny said:
At the first post, I notice the amr link. went to it and seen where it said assembled in usa. GET IT?

Assembled != Made.
There is no way a small company like that can be manufacturing good quality coilovers that cheaply in the USA.
The housings, damper, springs, tops, etc will all be made in Asia.

lumbercis is on the money.

fussellbug

from the AMR engineering FAQ page:

Are your coilovers made in the USA as well as your other parts?

We get this question often, and the answer is yes, and no. There are quite a few components both internally and externally when it comes to our dampers. Just like many companies out there we outsource, and get parts from various companies around the world. We build our coilovers in the USA, but not every single component such as our seals are made in the USA. We are not in the business of making rubber parts, and we are not tooled up to make shock shafts as well. I assure you though our partners we deal with provide us with high quality parts and meet our strict demands for quality. We have been dealing with many of our suppliers for many many years, and this is one of the many reasons why we have been able to go 8+ years without a single blown damper. Rest assure our durability is proven, and the people we deal with to produce components or provide us materials are the best in the business. Not only have we proved the durability of our product, but we back it up with a LIFETIME WARRANTY! We also produce many suspension parts such as strut tower bars, and swaybars for example which are all made in the USA. Those parts do not require anything special, and we have all the tooling to produce those parts ourselves. We are here to provide quality products to our customers, and we have been doing this for many years.

CMS-GT4

They emailed me that the body is threaded so you can change height without loosing stroke. So that is a nice feature. I can't think of any other off the shelf systems offering that.