1988 Alltrac - Fiona - Running and doing just fine

760gt4

That was pretty fast shipping. post pictures of the intercooler, i actually wanna see in what shape its in.
so youre not planning on changing the front and rear main seals while the motor is out?

UtahSleeper

So, here is the motor, partially dismantled. Still need to pull the plugs and see what the condition was of the motor.

001.JPG

Here is the pressure line connected to the new PS pump that came with the motor. Just wanted to verify it would be usable.

005.JPG

Here are the passenger side mounts. Left is 215, right is 165. Should bolt on fine.

007.JPG

Here is the IC.

008.JPG

In all its glory :/ Plan to replace it after everything is installed and running.

009.JPG

And the car as she currently sits.

010.JPG

011.JPG

UtahSleeper

Well, small update.

-I have sent off the my harness to have it modified to work in the st165.
-The stock flywheel bolts are too small for the motor(the threaded portion). Need to see what is needed here. Flywheel seems to line up properly.

UtahSleeper

Well, time for the next update.

For this install I have had to:
-Get flywheel bolts from a 2nd gen 3sgte as the 1st gen bolts were too skinny.
-Mount the motor mount bracket from the first gen motor on the 4th gen.

So, rather uneventful lol.

I got the harness back and I have the transmission mounted. While scary, the missle silo method of install worked nicely. I have a few other odds and ends to do then hope to have the motor sitting in the engine bay.

I received the harness from wiregap. Seems to be good work, but I will know more as I install it. The only thing I am unsure about is there are 3 wires, labeled, that are just sealed off. I am only concerned cause one says tach so not sure if I have to figure that out on my own. I probably just have to read a little more.
005.JPG

And here is the old trans sitting comfortably with his new lover.
004.JPG

anothergt4

As far as your tach wire, the 165 used the distributor and the motor you have is distributor less, and uses coil on plug, correct? So maybe that was the wire for a tach signal from the ecu that needs to get wired into the gauge cluster, just maybe. Nice build. Also there is a good chance I have some second gen flywheel bolts laying around if you have trouble sourcing them, I'll send you a pm if I can find them.

UtahSleeper

anothergt4":iljs6ctu said:
As far as your tach wire, the 165 used the distributor and the motor you have is distributor less, and uses coil on plug, correct? So maybe that was the wire for a tach signal from the ecu that needs to get wired into the gauge cluster, just maybe. Nice build. Also there is a good chance I have some second gen flywheel bolts laying around if you have trouble sourcing them, I'll send you a pm if I can find them.

Yea, I had read somewhere that you have to put a resistor somewhere to get the tach to work. So, will just do some research and see what happens when I try and start her lol. Figure I will get it hooked up and installed and go from there. There is alot I don't know about this swap and just trying to document anything I feel is relevant.

And I bought some flywheel bolts a few weeks ago when I found out I would need them. Thanks though.

UtahSleeper

Well, small update time......kind of. I need to take some pics.

I have the engine fully installed and it turns over via key. Haven't tried to start the car yet as I need an air filter and to get various vacuum lines connected.

Hope to try and start her this week and then start ironing out all the odds and ends.

Here is one pic I took after I finally got everything assembled. She is sitting next to my latest acquisition :)
AlltracandFRS.jpg

UtahSleeper

HOORAY!!!! Did as Luni/Rob said (start without worrying about vacuum lines) and ran into issues. Couldn't hear the FP kick on. Jumped +B and Fp on the diag box and then I heard the pump kick on when I turned the car on. I emailed mr220v/wiregap to see what I need to do to resolve this.

Motor starts and idled decently. There were some noises separate from the engine I will have to look at, but she idled fairly well and quietly for having no exhaust. Hooray!!!!

UtahSleeper

Well, here is an update with pics :) She starts easily with no weird noises. I have driven her down the street, so it seems like everything is working to some degree.

As she sits now:
001.JPG

And a better view of the motor:
002.JPG

And the lack of clearance with the radiator. Looks like I will be setting up the fans as pushers:
010.JPG

My precious Aeroform kit waiting to be installed:
013.JPG

Random dash shot. I will be replacing the gauge cluster at some point:
017.JPG

And a reason for my financial investment in all projects to start slowing lol:
021.JPG

Anoo21

Hey, I commented on the wiring on the other posting. Did you just use the 4th Gen ecu? Great to see everything running man. How much all together may I ask did it cost. I'm going to do this soon.

UtahSleeper

Anoo21":2377tmnf said:
Hey, I commented on the wiring on the other posting. Did you just use the 4th Gen ecu? Great to see everything running man. How much all together may I ask did it cost. I'm going to do this soon.

I am using the 4th gen ecu. It's the AT ECU.

1050 for the engine shipped.
500 for the harness/including shipping.
20 for gen 2 flywheel bolts.

I have a few extra costs coming up just for intake and such, nothing special, maybe another 200(msd adapter for tach, intake, etc). I will admit that I did this in a way most wouldn't have, but I gambled and all seems well so far. My gamble was that I took what I received motor wise and installed with no maintenance aside from flushing where fluids go. I plan to do a tune up soon, but I really just wanted to get the motor installed and tested.

UtahSleeper

scottjackson1209":359l4sgs said:
Very nice! What rad is that? My Mishimoto rad is about that close to my 3rd gen swap in my 165

Think its an eBay knock off of a Mish lol. Very poor build quality. It came with the car and I plan on replacing it.

Anoo21

Did you put a gen 2 flywheel on? Is that why you had to get the flywheel bolts? That's awesome actually I thought it might have been more money. It seem to be faster and stuff than the stock 1st gen? Thanks

UtahSleeper":3ughtwiu said:
Anoo21":3ughtwiu said:

I have a few extra costs coming up just for intake and such, nothing special, maybe another 200(msd adapter for tach, intake, etc). I will admit that I did this in a way most wouldn't have, but I gambled and all seems well so far. My gamble was that I took what I received motor wise and installed with no maintenance aside from flushing where fluids go. I plan to do a tune up soon, but I really just wanted to get the motor installed and tested.

UtahSleeper

Anoo21":smi0q0r9 said:
Did you put a gen 2 flywheel on? Is that why you had to get the flywheel bolts? That's awesome actually I thought it might have been more money. It seem to be faster and stuff than the stock 1st gen? Thanks

UtahSleeper":smi0q0r9 said:
Anoo21":smi0q0r9 said:

No, still the flywheel that was installed in the 1st gen, just for some reason the bolts were skinnier at the threads. Seemed a little odd, but got used bolts and all is well.

And the motor on the surface seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of the 1st gen. Smooth reving and seems to really want to go with the little I have driven her.

Anoo21

OK sorry if I am asking to many questions but you used the flywheel from your 1st Gen and bolts off a 2nd on the swap? Just trying to get enough info before i go head deep into the swap myself.

UtahSleeper

Anoo21":1uio8lyi said:
OK sorry if I am asking to many questions but you used the flywheel from your 1st Gen and bolts off a 2nd on the swap? Just trying to get enough info before i go head deep into the swap myself.

Yes. And no worries. Glad to actually have experience with something now that can be useful to the community lol.

And it did seem weird to me also lol. When I went to install the flywheel the bolts I had off the 1st gen just slid in. I was puzzled since I though all the bolts were the same.