97JZA80's ST165..minor update

88gt4DE

Just to set the record straight , I did the 182 wiper mod the 2nd time with a good motor in 20 min :p However if one is to attempt this mod ... DONT touch the big wiper nut on the outside of the hatch under the arm ... my bonehead move of the month :crazy: Nice update bro ... Now its time to put all that beautiful intake engineering into mine :wink:

97JZA80

Terracar":2z9994vq said:
Some serious updates - where are the photos with the new stance?

When you said the exhaust was clogged, how or what was it clogged with? (any pics) I ask because I swear mine is clogged. My 'trac barely gets 18 even if I push it down a hill with the engine off and I can usually get out and walk faster for 0-60.

I like the battery hold down - simple, tidy and just looks good, especially with the fuse bocks mounted so cleanly - any details on what you use for the fuse box (or is that how it is on the ST165s?)

-Terracar

Your right I need new side view shots, really not impressive since B&G doesnt go crazy low or anything. I'll work on that.

I think the resonator section of the exhaust came apart internally. Because when I cut the pipe at the rear crossmember area there was a ton of steel wool looking stuff lodged in the pipe. How olds your exhaust?
Thanks on the battery tie down, came together well I thought. and yup as Dan said thats all stock 165 fuse box.

88gt4DE":2z9994vq said:
Now its time to put all that beautiful intake engineering into mine :wink:

Word, first step is to put a parts list together for all the isht your gonna need. We'll get on it.

Dan-bushings. The guy sells them on ebay, but I ended up exchanging emails with him since i wanted more stuff. Cool guy and shipping really wasnt too long considering...POLAND! I'll look up the email tonight and send it to you. He sells stuff for the rear too, really good prices.

Terracar

97JZA80":blxe5433 said:
I think the resonator section of the exhaust came apart internally. Because when I cut the pipe at the rear crossmember area there was a ton of steel wool looking stuff lodged in the pipe. How olds your exhaust?

Thank you, I think Demon just got a new lease on life after her little drama this morning. (Drove her yesterday, but she refuses to start this morning, even with being jumped)

Hmm very interesting, but prior to changing the exhaust, the car ran and the exhaust seemed normal? My exhaust is stock so, 19ish years old? Wow the car seems old now.

-Terracar

97JZA80

They do seem old sometimes, I think next year technically we can register our cars as classics in Delaware. lol...

Car ran fine and I never suspected the exhaust was clogged like that. You get yours running again?

Terracar

I just returned from camping for my anniversary this weekend. She has been officially running since May '10, but after her latest incident of not starting I haven't had a chance to check out what is going on.

-terracar

1Bryce1

good to see your still at it, i got a crack in my block a couple months back, so shes been sitting through the winter and even now still dont know when ill get back too it but hopefully soon. have fun man!

97JZA80

I havent done a whole lot to the car this year. Frankly it sat from the time it was inspected in January until early October I think I may have started it 2 or 3 times and didnt drive it. I really only got motivated in October because of the Meet we had. But I worked on the car for a couple days and got some stuff done...

Dropped the Oil pan and resealed it
Replaced the last of my motor mounts with brand new OE
Retrofit the 185 headbrace with a little help from my welder
Installed a Greddy BCC and HKS EVC, used some old carbon fiber I had laying around and made up a little cover for it to sit in the DIN.

1j2pet.jpg

Nothing overly glamorous, its running well. Still hitting boost cut even with the bcc installed, so I guess i have some adjustments to make there. The car has its share of creeks and rattles but it gets around just fine. I'm leaving it alone for now, got some other things killing my time.

wakkjobb

You want creaks and rattles, drive a 165 that's been sitting on dead stock struts for nearly 6 years... ugh. But it still drives!

And can I get a pic of the 185 brace thing? I like welding... it sparked my interest.

97JZA80

Its tight quarters in there and definetely takes some back and forth to get it right since the cruise is in the way. Here is a pic with the cruise cover removed. I actually started by almost completely cutting the brace then bent it correct, then welded then grinded it down. You need to weld a nut to the motor mount but the alternator bracket side already has a threaded hole ready to go.

27xqsmo.jpg

Creaks and rattles :shoots:

97JZA80

The 165 Head is prone to cracking, just above the manifold towards the left side. Toyota added that brace on the 185 to mitigate the issue. The 3 165 heads I have dealt with were all cracked, including the one currently on my car. But that one was professionally repaired and now has 2 added braces to ensure it doesnt happen again.

97JZA80

Thanks, I haven't updated this in a long time but shes still kickin....it has its issues but im distracted at the moment with a different project.

And yup CT26 off the MK3 supra. 54 trim, a little lag but not terrible.

Awesome-Trac

97JZA80":spokykx6 said:
Thanks, I haven't updated this in a long time but shes still kickin....it has its issues but im distracted at the moment with a different project.

And yup CT26 off the MK3 supra. 54 trim, a little lag but not terrible.

can you feel any difference?

97JZA80

I got this car years ago with a Supra turbo on it, then later bought a brand new one to replace that one. So I really don't know the car without a supra turbo on it. :D