Project desert storm

760gt4

UtahSleeper":3phhrzks said:
The current inter cooler on the 215 motor or the one that came with the car?

And are there places to buy down pipes besides prime mr2? Thats where I got mine
My bad, meant to say fmic. The current mishimoto ic looks like it's been beat to shit, so I'd rather just start new.

And Prime is where I was planning on buying mine but there's also TCS Motorsports , that I know of.

760gt4

underscore":5w0ey718 said:
Cleaning oil out of an intercooler isn't too difficult, just get some cheap gas and cap off one end, slosh some gas around and dump it out, repeat til the gas come out clean.
IF I end up changing my mind and keeping the mishimoto then I will try your method. But as of right now I plan on taking some dimensions and ordering a new one.

___Scott___

underscore":2rodcmfe said:
Cleaning oil out of an intercooler isn't too difficult, just get some cheap gas and cap off one end, slosh some gas around and dump it out, repeat til the gas come out clean.
I have found that Castrol Super Clean and water works really well too and is not only safer but you don't have to worry about where to dump it. The lawn didn't seem to care. :lol:

760gt4

You guys are convincing me to clean my intercooler. I might do it today or tomorrow just to see how it goes.

On the other hand, I just ordered an st205 transmission and should be here in about a week and a half.

760gt4

underscore":1skimhli said:
Looks pretty rough, but if it doesn't leak I'd clean it up and keep it as a spare.
Yeah I'll hold on to it and see if I ever need it. I'll be cleaning out the garage real soon and gonna get rid of a lot of 5sfe stuff and old first gen stuff and I might change my mind and just get rid of this too.

760gt4

So I removed the first gen motor today and I will be degreasing the shit out of the engine bay tomorrow since just about everything from cross members to control arms is coated with oil.

I'll be removing the downpipe tomorrow and ordering a new one from Prime along with some other stuff. As of now I'm waiting for the st205 transmission and clutch so I can bolt it to the motor and then clock the turbo.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1429407856654.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1429407856654.png
    768.9 KB · Views: 2,317

760gt4

So this past weekend I finished the bracket to hold the actuator in place since I clocked the turbo, installed the newly resurfaced flywheel along with an exedy clutch. Bolting the transmission to the motor was a major pain in the ass but it got done. Now I'm just waiting for the harness to arrive as well as the downpipe and a few other gaskets and it should be ready to be dropped in. I only work on the car on weekends so there won't be too many updates during the week.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430826429779.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1430826429779.png
    768.2 KB · Views: 2,081

760gt4

I've been pretty busy lately with work and other stuff so I haven't gotten a chance to work much on the car. Last weekend I was able to put the downpipe one and clean up other parts since they were gunked up with oil. I got my harness back from mr220v so now I have everything I need to get this thing running. I'm gonna be off work for at least a week so first thing Monday I will start working on the car and hopefully everything works out to my favor and it's up and running.

Here it is just about ready to go in.

And the harness

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1431830387338.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1431830387338.png
    837.7 KB · Views: 2,064
  • uploadfromtaptalk1431830486079.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1431830486079.png
    713.7 KB · Views: 2,064

760gt4

I installed the motor yesterday and today I put gear oil, engine oil, and coolant and connected all the other small stuff that needed to be taken care of. I also clocked the turbo back to fit the tmic since I won't be able to get my intercooler piping til about Tuesday next week. So I went to start the car and there is no power going to the dash. Everything seems to be hooked up aside from a few connectors of which I don't know where they're supposed to be plugged at, but I dont think that's the issue. So tomorrow I'll work on it some more and see if I can find out what's causing me to not get any power on the dash or anywhere as a matter of fact.

760gt4

I got the power issue taken car of, I had a couple cables hooked up wrong but now it's good and the car cranks and cranks and cranks. I pulled a coil and plug and I could see that there is spark and then realized the fuel pump was not turning on when the ignition was on the "on" position. I could not find a fuel pump fuse on any of the boxes, the only thing I see is the fuel pump relay, but even when being cranked the relay will not click. I took the relay off and tested it and it seems to be working fine, and when I checked the female side of the harness I could not get any power signal when cranking the motor. So now I need to figure out what's keeping the harness from sending the signal to the relay. All other fuses are good, I didn't see any that were blown so I'm not quite sure what it could be. Anyone might have an idea?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432169424857.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1432169424857.png
    799.5 KB · Views: 2,021

760gt4

Time for another update. I put countless hours last week fixing small things here and there. I bridged fp to +b and got the car running but now I'm having issues with it not cranking at all. I put in a new starter since the old one looked older than me. I get power to the solenoid connector every time the ignition is turned all the way but all I get is a single click. I tried moving some ground wires around but I'm not having any luck. There were times when I would try and start the motor but all I would hear was a single click, turned the key back to the off position and tried to crank it again and it starts but now it's to the point where it won't turn on at all unless I manually power the solenoid connector with the battery lead. Aside from that, my MSD tach adapter burnt out. It was working fine and out of nowhere started jumping like crazy and then I got a nasty ass burning smell coming from the adapter. I will be sorting out those issues soon.

Clocked turbo and the bracket I made. Had to cut the bracket for the coolant lines and for the wastegate to make it work.

New head lights made by John Chavez from MR2OC. View attachment 1

Brackets I made to hold the intercooler in place.View attachment 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432844528606.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1432844528606.png
    709.8 KB · Views: 2,002
  • uploadfromtaptalk1432844544670.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1432844544670.png
    689.6 KB · Views: 2,002
  • uploadfromtaptalk1432844565154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1432844565154.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 2,002

760gt4

I just dropped off the car at the shop so I can have the intercooler pipes made. I should be receiving the car by Monday. I changed out the ignition switch last night and that seemed to fix the starting problem but it started doing the same thing this morning so I'll be fixing that as soon as I get the car back.

UtahSleeper

Maybe there is some grounding issues? I know I was seeing weird things and I threw extra grounds on.......doubt it fixed it as I also had a dent in my ecu case, which appeared to ground it out. But worth a shot.

760gt4

I'll add a couple more grounds to it when I get the car back. My ecu does have one small dent on it so it will be wise for me to open it up and see if there is any damage there.