Insanity-74s ST205 Rally Hybrid build

Insanity-74

A small bit of progress today.

Fitting the front coilovers

Took a bit of fettling but its all sorted now

rear coilovers fitted

as you can see, i dont have much space to work in...need to build myself a bigger garage.

CSAlltrac

Awesome progress. It's always looked beautiful but you can really start to see all your detail oriented work pay off. :notworthy:

Insanity-74

Well, its on its own wheel at last (the other three i had to borrow :) )

Its alot lower than i remember it :lol:

its alos alot easier to move around :thumbsup:

interior next....oh joy, not looking forward to the next lot of work at all, maybe i will take a break for a while

Insanity-74

A whole lot of fun today, i still hate fibreglassing things. Whos daft idea was it to install a roll cage???? :lol: :lol: the top half of the plastics that frames the window will get flocked, the lower half, after a lot more work will get painted a high gloss black, along with the front door lower sections and the bottom half of the dash, dash inserts will get painted a silver.

Insanity-74

A small bit of progress tonight.

Inspired by someone on 6gc.net I figured its was a good idea to remove the casting marks from the rear lights.

You can see the casting marks.....the dam things always get gunked up with wax polish.

after a rub down with 600 grit wet n dry.

Test fitted to the car along with the rear bumper to check its new duct clears the crash bar

Insanity-74

Test fit of the brake master cylinder, complete with brand new internals, the last stage of the brake jigsaw, everything is / will be brand new apart from the callipers and the master cylinder body.

I wonder how many leaks I will have first go?

Corey

This is amazing. I just flipped back through the thread. Its going to be cleaner than when it rolled off the factory floor !

Insanity-74

Got some colour put on the other day, managed to hand paint on some extra tough 2K lacquer. its not perfect but to be honest I am not that bothered, its just for protection as it will be covered by carpet etc......the engine bay is better. Some more of the 2K lacquer will arrive in the next day or so, I will then spray it onto the rest of the engine bay and finish the interior. Then i will be ready to install the brake lines, wiring and interior. Busy weeks ahead :)

My little garage with my cramped working space :)

the interior - front

and the back

the boot...slight problems in the wheel well, but again it will be covered by sound deadening etc so as long as the rust protection is there i aint bothered.

hopefully by the end of the week it will be all shiny :)

Insanity-74

Yes, it's one of those stupid space saver wheels. Utter garbage, basically a get you off the motorway wheel. Limited to 30mph and about 5 miles distance. I usually carry a ful size spare, but using four of these as transport wheels so I don't damage the alloys.

Insanity-74

There should be a bit of progress every day now :)

Todays fun and games....brake lines. it dosent look like i have done much, but alot of time is spent retapping bolt holes and cleaning threads up.

I am having to rebend the brake lines as they dont quite run parallel to each other, but thats an easy fix.

I also started to fit the closed cell foam (sound deadening) to the roof, its very light, weighs almost nothing, but its a bit expensive for what it is. the floor, bulkhead, roof, door insides, boot floor will all get covered in it :)

Insanity-74

tackled the recaros today....well one of them. i tried one of the ebay bolster suppliers and the quality is spot on, so i will purchase the other bolster for the other seat later.

You can see the split in the foam.

Under the foam there is a metal support ring, it is this that cuts through the foam making the split. The bolster has this bit re-inforced but i guess old age has taken its toll.

with the bolster replaced

its a pretty easy job to do to be honest, i was expecting it to be harder, about ten mins to do a bolster from start to finish.

I think thats it for today...i had planned on doing more but Jo has bought me some beers and the last Hobbit DVD so its feet up time :)

back on with it tomorrow :)

Insanity-74

Painting the roll cage...this is hopefully the last bit of major painting to do until i decide to tackle the outside. Its a rubberised & textured enamel, goes on with some force, but dries nicely.

The roll cage in all its masked off glory :)

tomorrows task is to finish a bit more sound deadening on the firewall then start refitting the loom which i started refurbishing at the weekend.

Are you actually planning to rally this or is it just gonna be a street car you go have fun with on occasion?

I would never take that much care and time in a project just to take it off-road and have the paint get chewed up.

Insanity-74

It's just a weekend toy :) .......as you say, I wouldn't take this off road, I would cry too much if I ruined the paint....or crashed it :doh: the way things are here, it will be lucky to be taken out of the garage :lol:

Insanity-74

Seats and carpet in :)

I can sit in it now and make "brum brum psssssst" noises.

There will be a full dash going back in, just need to get it all painted etc now.

Looking good.

Good clearence with the roll cage, even with the seats as far back as they will go :)

Brum brum.........yes yes, dont laugh, I hate having my photo taken at the best of times.....but theres a face that says "If my wife takes any longer to take this photo, my smile muscles are going to give up"

Time for a well earned rest, got some decorating to do. might give this project a rest for a couple of weeks and catch up on the household chores.