MWP's wannabe Tarmac Rally 5S-GTE ST185 (racing!)

MWP

The course changes after every run... you only get one go at it.

It kinda sucks as you dont get a chance to learn it.
I end up concentrating more on trying to remember where to go (or not, and having to look at the map) than on actually driving :(
In the above vid, at about 1min35sec i had to back off a lot to look at the map.

MWP

:D
11109037_1600530383566198_8930471858795008372_ed.jpg

MWP

I spent Sat & Sunday making up an undertray for the engine bay.
I mainly did it to keep stones out of the cambelt area since it doesn't have covers.

Its made from the 3mm composite panel that Bunnings sell.
Cheapish, quite strong, light, easy to cut. Cant bend it much though.

Getting the vertical side bits done was the hard part. Not much clearance between the crank pulley / gearbox and the tyres when at full lock.

IMG_20150607_181412.jpg

IMG_20150607_160144.jpg

underscore

Going back a few years, have you had any issues with your DIY oil pan baffle? If I wanted to replicate it could just the baffle be added or would the capacity increase need to be done as well?

MWP

underscore":ygcroya1 said:
Going back a few years, have you had any issues with your DIY oil pan baffle? If I wanted to replicate it could just the baffle be added or would the capacity increase need to be done as well?

No issues, it has worked great so far.
Adding capacity does not have to be done, but it's a good idea.

In hindsight though, it would have been a better idea to buy a Moroso sump.
It was a LOT of work to build my sump.

MWP

I had a rear clunking that was happening on accel & de-accel.
I suspected it was a diff mount, but they all look good. Trying to move the diff with a jack resulted in almost lifting the car before the diff moved.
Subframe mounts all look ok too.

Next thing is the mid drive shaft mounts.

IMG_20150730_170956.jpg

IMG_20150730_171018.jpg

These look like they are sagging, so i thought i would try the good old polyurethane fill fix :)

So i dropped all out the tailshaft, pulled down the center bearings and CV joint.

Not a happy CV :(
The boot had a split in it.
IMG_20150803_204346.jpg

So i cleaned it all up, re-greased the CV, painted, filled the bearing rubber mounts with shore 75 2-part polyurethane.
IMG_20150806_143910.jpg

All back in.
Ill drive it tomorrow, hopefully its all balanced :p

IMG_20150806_163220.jpg

MWP

12027344_1667953540090460_1139464846834720582_o.jpg

I entered a hillclimb on Saturday.
It couldn't have gone any better really :D

I hammered on the car, had zero issues with it, and came out with some of the best times of the day.

Videos:
2-step launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDHb7BcFHCQ
Full track in-car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwfDFi70Zw

There were ~80 cars competing that day, and the only cars/drivers with better times were a couple of Porsche GT3's :)
I also had the fastest first split time of the day (time to that first corner/crest) of 6.60sec.

It was a heap of fun. Its great throwing around such a well balanced GT4 :)

Of course there is always more work to do though, on the to-do list: new Walbro 400lph pump to go in, new long rear wheel studs, EGT sensor, fix the fuel level sensor, LS430/WRX brakes, etc, etc.

MWP

Yup... which is a bit strange really, considering the rules for some other motorsport here.
(for example, 4wd cars cant do intro gravel rallies without a cage. 2wd just need a lap-sash, no cage).

There is the Mt Alma hillclimb next year which i would love to enter but i think im going to self-impose a ban until i do have a 1/2 cage, seats & harnesses.
Its quite high speed, and an off on the top half can be very nasty.
Mt Alma example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMNTgjPS1D8

There is this Old Willunga hillclimb next month that i'll definitely be entering. Its speeds are lower, and there are guard rails the whole length, so not so dangerous:
Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJDi4GqGpI4

underscore

That sounds really weird, here you can do TSD/navigational rallies, autocross and lapping days with no equipment, but anything beyond that requires full cages, suits, HANS, etc.

MWP

We have a country wide motorsport governing body called CAMS that sets all the rules for our events (they are basically a motorsport specific insurance company).
No one has any idea how decisions are made at CAMS. Some things they are harsh on, some things they are easy on.
Most of it is political :twisted:

MWP

Yeah everything seems to be great with the car at the moment.

Ive done that hillclimb a few times in my old car at around the 40sec mark.
Its amazing how much of a difference going a bit quicker makes to how the bumps/undulations feel.
On the last run after the first corner before the "wall" the car got enough air to spin up the tyres.

Another better view of the start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0CNgW16GIo

CSAlltrac

Ive been wondering, where do you have your FF Sensor placed. Meaning what line did you splice into. Currently working on getting one setup for my next build. Ive read that guys locate them in different spots so Im curious as to whats correct. Pre fuel rail or post rail in the return line.

MWP

CSAlltrac":1bl0a355 said:
Ive been wondering, where do you have your FF Sensor placed. Meaning what line did you splice into. Currently working on getting one setup for my next build. Ive read that guys locate them in different spots so Im curious as to whats correct. Pre fuel rail or post rail in the return line.
FF sensor?

aus jd 2703

Flex sensors can go any where, I have heard of a few people running them in the pressure lines, this helps create a stable reading as it always has fuel and no air, where as the return line is empty on start up and is usually aerated by the regulator to a degree. putting it at the bottom of a 180" bend in the return line would likely help fix a lot of issues.