st185 swap

texturboII

For the life of me, I cannot find information on the st185 into a st165 swap. From what I've gleaned: mechanically it's straightforward but the hiccup comes in getting the wiring done. 3 hours of searching and that's all I've got. No links to schematics or directions, just threads upon threads of "Oh it's pretty easy, it drops right in, really popular swap" and one dead-end link to GTfour.ca that no longer has the information available that everyone pointed to from 2005. Ten years later I can't find squat on the specifics of the swap!

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Judging from the lack of st185 front clips available it looks like running an aftermarket igniton and fuel setup may be the best of options...

zaluss

texturboII":2vs39z28 said:
For the life of me, I cannot find information on the st185 into a st165 swap. From what I've gleaned: mechanically it's straightforward but the hiccup comes in getting the wiring done. 3 hours of searching and that's all I've got. No links to schematics or directions, just threads upon threads of "Oh it's pretty easy, it drops right in, really popular swap" and one dead-end link to GTfour.ca that no longer has the information available that everyone pointed to from 2005. Ten years later I can't find squat on the specifics of the swap!

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Judging from the lack of st185 front clips available it looks like running an aftermarket igniton and fuel setup may be the best of options...

I just dropped a ST205 into my ST165. Based on what I've read, you would do the same things I did to "bolt" the motor into the car. Swap over your ST165 pass and trans motor mounts over to the ST185. Swap the brackets from the ST165 for the N/S torque mounts. Your propeller shaft will slide right into the existing transmission.

I would go with the ST205/ST215 personally unless you have a ST185 motor handy.

texturboII

Thanks for the reply!

Yea, we've got access to a ST185, and knowing a bit about MegaSquirts there's a lovely plug and play standalone for the ST185 that they make.

Did you just swap over all of the electrical components as well? Any modifications for the fuse box or anything?

Looks like we're going to have to just fab up a whole harness and fuse box from scratch? Exciting...