88st165's alltracs

88st165

Finally got around to doing a comp test on my red 165 and the results were not very good. Only did a cold comp test so far.

Left to right: 165, 145, 165, 90.

Im hoping that its not the rings bc I want to avoid doing work to the bottom end but I am anticipating the worst.

The st215 swap is looking really appealing right now. Would have bought an engine already if I wasnt so paranoid of getting a bad one on ebay.

Ah well always an adventure with these cars :twisted:

88st165

Just bought some replacement parts like seals, timing belt stuff, etc for a 215 engine. Haven't bought the engine though but I'm relatively close to pulling the trigger on one. Need to buy some stuff from prime like a d/p or just buy a 205 manifold and reuse my ct27, haven't decided that yet. More planning to do.

GT4times2

88st165":1xmq67am said:
Just bought some replacement parts like seals, timing belt stuff, etc for a 215 engine. Haven't bought the engine though but I'm relatively close to pulling the trigger on one. Need to buy some stuff from prime like a d/p or just buy a 205 manifold and reuse my ct27, haven't decided that yet. More planning to do.

You're getting there. I'm sure you'll be needing a fuel line (fuel filter to rail) from them (more than likely the one that comes with the engine will be cut), a new Dip stick (seems like they all break, the yellow handle part felt brittle and broke while checking the oil).

As for turbos, you can go that route. I'm not sure how well the CT27 spools, and how much power you'll make with it. If you like the turbo set up you have, stick with it. The ST215 has a C.R of 9.0:1 vs 8.5:1. Should notice a difference. I was interested in going CT16 (ATS's upgrade to the CT15), but may opt for the GT2871 instead. I'm still doing my research at this point.

I say go for it. If you're going to swap, why not go with ST215? :D

CMS-GT4

The ct27 seems pretty similar to the ct20 spec wise. Might be a hair slower to spool but also might make a hair more power. It should get you by for a while. I am in need of a lot of turbo research. I had considered the disco potato for a while but it may hardly mak more power than the 20b. It will just spool much better. There seems to be some decent upgrades for the 20 but I am waiting on more feedback on them. Not much for trusting manufacture dynos when no others exist.

88st165

GT4times2":3qsxgdso said:
88st165":3qsxgdso said:

You're getting there. I'm sure you'll be needing a fuel line (fuel filter to rail) from them (more than likely the one that comes with the engine will be cut), a new Dip stick (seems like they all break, the yellow handle part felt brittle and broke while checking the oil).

As for turbos, you can go that route. I'm not sure how well the CT27 spools, and how much power you'll make with it. If you like the turbo set up you have, stick with it. The ST215 has a C.R of 9.0:1 vs 8.5:1. Should notice a difference. I was interested in going CT16 (ATS's upgrade to the CT15), but may opt for the GT2871 instead. I'm still doing my research at this point.

I say go for it. If you're going to swap, why not go with ST215? :D

Ah darn should have discussed with you what else I would need before placing my order because i didnt even think about the fuel line and dipstick :bangshead:

What have you done for the fuel line? Its pretty expensive from toyota and I dont know if it will even be the proper length to mate to the stock fuel filter location on the 165. I was thinking maybe some -an banjo fittings and line to just make one up.

88st165

Yea the reason I was thinking about sticking with the ct27 on the 215 engine was simply because i already have it and know its a low mile unit that is in great working order. I do like the idea of the ct15 with its fast spool response as i tend to prefer more midrange punch but i do not know what the driveability difference would be between the two. Its either spend the money on a prime made d/p or find a 205 manifold. I guess the 205 manifold is harder to find so that would be the determining factor. I like the idea of the gt28rs but it seems like lot of money for little increase in potential. I would need to ride in a 28rs car to be convinced. I also see that ATS has upgrades for the ct15 aka ct16 like GT4times2 mentioned but that again is a lot of money and you cant just resell it as easy like the ct26 based turbos.

88st165

zaluss":3ipmlmqt said:
Got anymore pics of your compe wheel setup? Also anything new on this car? :D

I did end up buying a st215 engine last year from a local importer in chicago. They were nice enough to let me look through every single 215 engine there and pick the one i thought was the best (picked the one with the best looking inside of the valve cover and dipstick, they wouldnt let me take the valve covers off understandably). They even let me swap dip sticks and timing covers bc the one i picked had both broken. Nice guys. I bought all the parts to reseal it with a mixture from amayama, prime, local toyota dealer, and rock auto. Harness done by doug at wiregap. Thats were I left off with it last summer. I didn't have time to essentially mate the trans and drop in the motor. I dont live where the car is stored and I have a 2yr old so I don't get to work on cars as much these days. Oh also bought new brakes from revolution. I worked with them to find a size that fits under the 16's because I didnt want to go with 17's. I think they ended up being 310mm. The stock 165 brakes on the track were not good at all. For the rear i bought 205 calipers and rotors. Haven't picked pads yet.

225/45/16 Star Spec Zii on 16x8 enkei compe classic. No spacers in the rear and I believe -2.5deg camber in front but I havent looked at my setup sheet since that track day.

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2596%203.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

88st165

killer_siller":3n3oihjs said:
I had compe 8s in that color on my AE86 when I sold it. I'm getting basically the same wheels for my red miata.

Jeff! Hope you're doing well man! Glad to see you're still on here every once in a while. I have plans to revive your old white 165 this year hopefully lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodMoney

HOLY SHIT.

Are we finally going to get together this year Eugene? I've got a ton of work that I need to do on Stacy's car.... Maybe we we meet up and have an install party!

88st165

bloodMoney":146569ci said:
HOLY SHIT.

Are we finally going to get together this year Eugene? I've got a ton of work that I need to do on Stacy's car.... Maybe we we meet up and have an install party!

What up Chris?! Man I really hope I can get the car out again just the like old days cruising around. What do you have to do to Stacy's car? That thing is mint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodMoney

88st165":1klj0v3b said:
What up Chris?! Man I really hope I can get the car out again just the like old days cruising around. What do you have to do to Stacy's car? That thing is mint.

Hahaha thanks. It's almost mint. We need to pull and reseal the quarter windows, I have a new rear subframe loaded with a 205 torsen unit that needs to go in, and I'm thinking that we're going to do the LS430 front/ST205 rear brake upgrades....

We're finishing up building a new big garage, so we totally need to pull together for some install parties. :)

CMS-GT4

Glad to see the project still going. Having kids certainly takes time away from working on them. Hopefully revolution offers that brake setup on their site. I imagine others want smaller brakes as well. Do you already have any ducting?

killer_siller

88st165":pjev6i2l said:
Jeff! Hope you're doing well man! Glad to see you're still on here every once in a while. I have plans to revive your old white 165 this year hopefully lol.

Cool stuff, man. I miss these things!
But now I have this
0b017243daa57951a262a3adafdaded8.jpg