Rear diff flange/oil seal

TCalltrac90

My rear diff is leaking slightly from the pinion flange. I was curious If I can just replace the oil seal or if I need to replace other parts as well like the front bearing and spacer. Any help would be great, thanks.

alltracman78

Technically you're supposed to change the spacer [it's a crush sleeve] if you remove the nut.
But if you know what you're doing you don't have to.

If you re tighten the nut too much or too little you at best will damage the pinion bearings and at worst ruin the whole diff, so be careful.

88gt4DE

I had this issue also after putting in a new rear pinion seal and replaced the nut .. blah blah ... I took it back off and at the recommendation of a guy in my shop that worked on these cars when they were under warranty ... Clean everything up and put some of the orange toyota sealer on the spines of the pinion flange and put it back together. Walla ... all fixed ... 8)

TCalltrac90

88gt4DE":1j1uqc8w said:
I had this issue also after putting in a new rear pinion seal and replaced the nut .. blah blah ... I took it back off and at the recommendation of a guy in my shop that works on these cars when they were under warranty ... Clean everything up and put some of the orange toyota sealer on the spines of the pinion flange and put it back together. Walla ... all fixed ... 8)

The fipg stuff? Which is like Toyota liquid gasket?

88gt4DE

TCalltrac90":1gnd5wxn said:
88gt4DE":1gnd5wxn said:
I had this issue also after putting in a new rear pinion seal and replaced the nut .. blah blah ... I took it back off and at the recommendation of a guy in my shop that works on these cars when they were under warranty ... Clean everything up and put some of the orange toyota sealer on the spines of the pinion flange and put it back together. Walla ... all fixed ... 8)

The fipg stuff? Which is like Toyota liquid gasket?

Yes , the Orange stuff , not black ....