Single Piece Driveshaft

Sifu

We had a group buy for an ACPT single carbon shaft. Some have been installed from this group buy and others have had custom made units. One user has also installed it on a 200mph Alltrac. I'm sorry I cannot provide the link but if you search ACPT Carbon drive shaft it should come up (over 30 pages I believe).

Killtodie

I dont need a CF, not even alum. Just a nice steel single piece. Found a place that will do it, need to submit the correct info for an estimate.

Just want to see if it can be done.

masco

Killtodie":1zhx3ola said:
I dont need a CF, not even alum. Just a nice steel single piece. Found a place that will do it, need to submit the correct info for an estimate.

You're sort of contradicting yourself in your last reply.

Do you require a drawing a one piece steel driveshaft to submit to this place?

How fast do you need it to spin? Will you be launching the car?

You have to remember that the ST165/185 driveshafts aren't your typical V6 Ford Mustang driveshafts. Yolk-to-Yolk a one piece assembly in the ST165/185 would be over 70 inches long and whip may be a significant problem with steel even at highway speeds, not to mention deformation from launching and etc. I sure wouldn't want a 70+ inch steel driveshaft to fail while i'm in the car.

If you are price sensitive and the driveshaftshop.com carbon unit is out of reach I suggest you stick with the stock unit.

3SDNA

I am not seeing an option for the Alltrac on that website. Is this a special order item from the driveshaftshop?

Killtodie

masco":eihg8yrk said:
Killtodie":eihg8yrk said:

You're sort of contradicting yourself in your last reply.

If you are price sensitive and the driveshaftshop.com carbon unit is out of reach I suggest you stick with the stock unit.

my stock shaft has two bad carrier bearings, and bad u joints. instead of spending $300+ to fix it, I rather get a single piece made.

masco

3SDNA":cv19emjv said:
I am not seeing an option for the Alltrac on that website. Is this a special order item from the driveshaftshop?

You'll have to contact driveshaft shop. I know people have ordered them though them. IIRC ACPT sold the drawings to them.

Killtodie":cv19emjv said:
my stock shaft has two bad carrier bearings, and bad u joints. instead of spending $300+ to fix it, I rather get a single piece made.

I have a complete driveshaft I can sell you, or some spare new old stock Toyota bearing(s). I am located in Eureka, Nunavut, Canada.

Regarding your question with one piece driveshaft feasibility, I don't claim to be a driveshaft technologist so your best bet is to contact different driveshaft manufacturers and see what advice their team can give you regarding a one piece steel driveshaft on a transverse engined AWD vehicle. Please report back here with your findings. I'm curious to see if they give you the shaft.

Killtodie

masco":3bcfh2fe said:
I have a complete driveshaft I can sell you, or some spare new old stock Toyota bearing(s). I am located in Eureka, Nunavut, Canada.

Regarding your question with one piece driveshaft feasibility, I don't claim to be a driveshaft technologist so your best bet is to contact different driveshaft manufacturers and see what advice their team can give you regarding a one piece steel driveshaft on a transverse engined AWD vehicle. Please report back here with your findings. I'm curious to see if they give you the shaft.

Thanks. I already have a source for a spare drive shaft.
My drifter buddy had a steel shaft made for his Beams 86 for $375 or so. Not sure on length, but probably at least 60"

Are there restrictions on a transverse/AWD drive shaft?

athousandleaves

Read the "Composite Driveshaft Performance Report" tab on the lower half of this page:http://www.acpt.com/Products/Composite-Driveshafts.aspx

If you do make a single piece steel shaft, ensure your estate is in order before you go driving...

underscore

With what I've been seeing happen to steel one pieces lately I wouldn't run one in any car you plan on being hard on, let alone a car with one as long as ours is. Chances are if it does go it'll be the tail end but I still wouldn't want to try and fix that mess.

masco":1fioytmt said:
You'll have to contact driveshaft shop. I know people have ordered them though them. IIRC ACPT sold the drawings to them.

And then they inflated the price by 50% with some bs excuse about the u joints.

athousandleaves

I have a hard copy of the actual engineering diagram for the ACPT CFDS around here somewhere if that's what you're after... but if you're having it made out of steel it's going to differ dimensionally from the CF one so your clearances to things under the car will likely be worse...

If you're still looking for the diagram let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up and post it.