boost issue

Rallly

My stock st185 boosts only to 8psi in 2nd-5th gear and tappers down if I hold the throttle position. Boost leak?

Rallly

underscore":3hcjf3xd said:
Right, so if it's broken you'll only get 50kPa or ~8psi.

I'm already only getting 8psi, so how will I know if it's broken? sorry, I guess I think I'm missing something.

zaluss

Rallly":20kgswts said:
underscore":20kgswts said:
Right, so if it's broken you'll only get 50kPa or ~8psi.

I'm already only getting 8psi, so how will I know if it's broken? sorry, I guess I think I'm missing something.

For Gen2 3SGTE, the TVSV is nothing more than a basic safety device that limits you to a low boost (8psi) setting until the engine is warmed up. Its a factory boost controller.

Requirements for higher boost with the TVSV:

1) coolant temp >160F
2) intake air temp > 32F
3) positive manifold pressure

It may not be allowing you to go into high boost because there is a vacuum leak or issue with the TVSV itself.

attachment.php

Rallly

I did in fact have a couple boost leaks. I just fixed them in hopes that all would be good when I went for a drive. Just came back, still only able to hit 0.6Bar(8~psi). What can I check next ? Better yet, is it possible to bypass the tvsv all together and have full boost potential at all times?

zaluss

Rallly":26n6w8bp said:
I did in fact have a couple boost leaks. I just fixed them in hopes that all would be good when I went for a drive. Just came back, still only able to hit 0.6Bar(8~psi). What can I check next ? Better yet, is it possible to bypass the tvsv all together and have full boost potential at all times?

Yes. Install a manual or electronic boost controller to bypass the tvsv.

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... ucts_id=62

http://www.twosrus.com/Articles/Install ... ctions.PDF

Pretty simple. You block off the connection between the wastegate to the tvsv and plug the vacuum hose on the tvsv then add the boost controller between the turbo and wastegate.

Rallly

Before I go ahead and order that MBC, I just want to be sure I'm good to go and not just throwing money away. If my T-vsv or actuator was fried( stuck at.8~psi) would this MBC still allow my turbo to boost to 14psi?

zaluss":3j7wh4xh said:
Rallly":3j7wh4xh said:

Yes. Install a manual or electronic boost controller to bypass the tvsv.

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... ucts_id=62

http://www.twosrus.com/Articles/Install ... ctions.PDF

Pretty simple. You block off the connection between the wastegate to the tvsv and plug the vacuum hose on the tvsv then add the boost controller between the turbo and wastegate.

zaluss

Rallly":1i5sjete said:
Before I go ahead and order that MBC, I just want to be sure I'm good to go and not just throwing money away. If my T-vsv or actuator was fried( stuck at.8~psi) would this MBC still allow my turbo to boost to 14psi?

Yes because you would be bypassing it completely.

Rallly

zaluss":2j4pdl0g said:
Rallly":2j4pdl0g said:

Yes because you would be bypassing it completely.

Okay thank you :)

underscore

I'd suggest borrowing one from someone local to you first if you can, that way you can be sure that's the issue before spending any money.

Rallly

Any other MBC you guys can recommend me? I'm in Canada and can't justify the super high shipping price on the tworus mbc. Also what is the max psi I should raise it to with my stock turbo(ct26b I think)

underscore

You can make one yourself with hardware store parts for cheap, max boost with the stock ECU is 14.7 psi I believe, so keep it below 13ish to be safe. Obviously it's dependent on the condition of your car as well.

Rallly

underscore":1khccain said:
You can make one yourself with hardware store parts for cheap, max boost with the stock ECU is 14.7 psi I believe, so keep it below 13ish to be safe. Obviously it's dependent on the condition of your car as well.

Sweet! What parts am I looking for ?