No start

819_ay

Hey guys I need some help...the car is a 90st185,with a 92 st185 engine, with a mines ecu, I just finished a minor engine rebuild.. Timing belt, head gasket, a bunch of seals, didn't touch the pistons, so anyways I put the engine back in back, and when I go to start it, it turns but that's it there is fuel but no spark ... So I did some digging on the interweb, and well I discovered that the pinouts on a 90 and 92 are different... So took out the mines ecu and put in the stock 92 ecu, now I have spark/fuel/air I hear the afm closing, so it turns and every once in a while it back fire, like a fuckin bomb exploding with some black smoke(compression??) anyways I need some help figuring it out... There is a bunch of plugs that are not plugged into anything.. I'm assuming they are for the ac...

Thanks in advance

819_ay

Forgot to mention there is no o2 sensor... With the mines ecu it didn't need it but now with the stock ecu I'm guessing it needs to be installed?

819_ay

No don't have a timing light, that's the next thing I need to check, just thought I'd ask maybe for some help... Is the timing light just for ignition timing? Or can I check engine timing as well? Or do check with the marks on the head and crank pulley?

mkernz22

The f*ck you mean the Mines doesn't need an o2? EVERY CAR NEEDS AN O2 sensor, no matter what ECU it has.

mkernz22

Without an o2 on the stock ECU, it has nothing to go by for the AFR so you're probably running super rich, hence the backfiring and black stuff. It's unburnt fuel.

I'm guessing you don't have a wideband installed either?

819_ay

Yeah well. you guessed wrong I do have a wide band... Maybe it needed one but I've been running without one since I got the car and even if I plug in an o2 it doesn't change anything... Yes I understand that but if the engine doesn't start would the ecu still read an Afr?would that cause the engine not to start?

___Scott___

The ECU doesn't need the O2 signal to start because it doesn't work until it's warmed up anyway. That's why they have heaters in them, to get them up to temperature sooner and reduce emissions earlier.

FC Zach

819_ay":3n5fm1ur said:
No don't have a timing light, that's the next thing I need to check, just thought I'd ask maybe for some help...
It definitely wouldn't hurt to check the ignition timing. My guess is your engine timing is off

Is the timing light just for ignition timing? Or can I check engine timing as well?
If the timing belt was installed improperly and the engine timing is off, ignition timing would be off too. .

Or do check with the marks on the head and crank pulley?
Yes, double check everything.

819_ay

___Scott___":14p18cz5 said:
The ECU doesn't need the O2 signal to start because it doesn't work until it's warmed up anyway. That's why they have heaters in them, to get them up to temperature sooner and reduce emissions earlier.

FC Zach":14p18cz5 said:
819_ay":14p18cz5 said:
No don't have a timing light, that's the next thing I need to check, just thought I'd ask maybe for some help...
It definitely wouldn't hurt to check the ignition timing. My guess is your engine timing is off

Is the timing light just for ignition timing? Or can I check engine timing as well?
If the timing belt was installed improperly and the engine timing is off, ignition timing would be off too. .

Or do check with the marks on the head and crank pulley?
Yes, double check everything.
Thanks for the help guys, I will definitely check timing, I'm pretty sure I lined everything up Good, but shit happens I guess, anything else I should check for? And is there a reason for the back fires even if it doesn't start?

819_ay

Okay cool thanks again...I will check out the timing.. Hopefully I can get her running before the snow arrives so I can out her away lol... I appreciate the help..

underscore

If it's backfiring you know you have fuel, and if you know that you have spark then the main reason why the engine wouldn't be running (even if it's running badly) should be the timing.

819_ay

Yeah I can hear the pump prime and when I put just Fp to b+ if I remember correctly I can also hear the injectors spraying, and honestly I only checked one plug and there was spark, ran out of time and had to leave... So yeah will double check timing and make sure there is spark on all four, will update when that is done.. Again I appreciate the help... First place I come to is here when I'm stumped

819_ay

So I thought I would give you an update, checked the timing... And well that's the problem... When I assembled everything, with the crank pulley at TDC I didn't make sure that the #1 piston was up.. Soo gotta redo the timing with the #1 piston up instead of down... How do I remove tension on the timing belt without removing the tensioner... Thanks again guys for you help and advice

819_ay

Yeah but I have to remove the tension to remove the belt...the tensioner seems to be in a shitty stop with the motor in the car... Does anyone have any advice to pull or fix a timing issue thanks

FC Zach

It's tight and sucks but it's totally doable. . . remove the right side engine mount, that helped me.

819_ay

Okay cool thanks a bunch for your advice... I'm not mechanic, but I'm the only one who touches my gt4 lol, I've had for about 6 years now, I went through a couple mechanics at first got screwed then decided to do everything myself... So thanks again... Hopefully the weather will be nicer next week so I could princess running before the snow comes haha... Will update when I get around to it... Thanks