My new st165 w/Gen 4 swap

Today is day 1 with my new st165 w/ a Gen 4 swap courtesy of Prime Performance. ST205 trans, 15x8 +20 225/50 tires. It needs some TLC but the motor feels great so far. View attachment 1

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448745213644.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448745213644.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 3,926
  • uploadfromtaptalk1448745236258.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1448745236258.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 3,926

3SDNA

Daaaaaaaaaaamn, such a beautiful car! I was drooling over your car when it was posted up for sale on PRIMES site. That is what inspired me to install the WtA intercooler like yours. Congrats!

Happy Monday.... drove the car a total of 80 miles, mostly all highway, have not beat on it at all since the suspension/steering components are all original and it's scary how much play there is. Needless to say I merged on the Hwy this morning, layed it into 4th gear and floored it to merge and the revs just shoot up when boost hits and all i smell is clutch.....
I am literally beside myself!!! The main reason I bought the car was to not have to worry about the drivetrain for at least a little while and now I have to budget for a clutch!!! WTF?!?

GT4_DRED

eric thompson":3qbe96mj said:
Happy Monday.... drove the car a total of 80 miles, mostly all highway, have not beat on it at all since the suspension/steering components are all original and it's scary how much play there is. Needless to say I merged on the Hwy this morning, layed it into 4th gear and floored it to merge and the revs just shoot up when boost hits and all i smell is clutch.....
I am literally beside myself!!! The main reason I bought the car was to not have to worry about the drivetrain for at least a little while and now I have to budget for a clutch!!! WTF?!?
If the clutch is new, then you'll want to make sure you break it in for a few hundred miles.

I was told the clutch was replaced when the swap was performed with a "Prime Performance" specific clutch assembly. The car had only been driven 30-40 miles before i bought it, which was after the swap was done, as it was a shop owned car. I understand letting the clutch break in but that should have no effect on slippage when already in gear. I've been shifting like a baby and nothing even remotely close to spirited driving.... this includes the 1.5 hr hwy drive home from the shop in the first place. :bangshead:

zaluss

eric thompson":225ta6ia said:
I was told the clutch was replaced when the swap was performed with a "Prime Performance" specific clutch assembly. The car had only been driven 30-40 miles before i bought it, which was after the swap was done, as it was a shop owned car. I understand letting the clutch break in but that should have no effect on slippage when already in gear. I've been shifting like a baby and nothing even remotely close to spirited driving.... this includes the 1.5 hr hwy drive home from the shop in the first place. :bangshead:

Maybe the clutch wasn't adjusted or bled completely.

klue

eric thompson":2u63h33v said:

Eric, to be correct when breaking in the clutch your setting the friction material into an complete interface (when done right) with the flywheel. If you put excessive load on the clutch while it is in the period where it is breaking it, it has not yet reached its maximum friction co effcient. This could lead to slippage under high torque

Thats why manufactures are very specific about a lengthy break in procedure usually 500miles. The break in duration depends on the material, some agressive clutches like sintered iron break in within the first few tens of miles. Where as clutches with an organic base(like most oem) or kevlar take a LONG time to seat properly

I understand proper break in, being a tech since a teenager and a Svc manager for 8+ years now, hence why I have been shifting nice and smooth and haven't gone above 4500 rpm yet. But I never thought boost @3k rpm while already in gear would be enough for the clutch to start slipping.

klue

eric thompson":3ouwyxqy said:
I understand proper break in, being a tech since a teenager and a Svc manager for 8+ years now, hence why I have been shifting nice and smooth and haven't gone above 4500 rpm yet. But I never thought boost @3k rpm while already in gear would be enough for the clutch to start slipping.

Your response sounds a bit defensive, im not suggesting you dont know what your doing. Just suggesting that 250ftlbs will cause a clutch to slip and glaze.

CSAlltrac

I would continue to baby it, you cant really count the long journey home as break in mileage either. Having the clutch engaged for a long period of time does not do anything for break in. Stop and go driving is whats needed for a minimum of 500 miles, I would do 600-1000. Once you have that kind of mileage of stop and go, ensure everything is adjusted and bled, then try your boosted runs. Everything should be good from there, if it is still slipping after all of that contact Prime. Justin and all the guys over there are very stand up and Im sure they would be more than willing to help you out.

klue

eric thompson":3702uggy said:
Sorry man. I'm just extremely frustrated as I'm sure you can understand.

I know man, no hard feelings.

Like cs is saying ride it out for a bit take it easy on it. it might bed in some more. Im guessing its organic material?

Its whatever they sell on their site... South Bend stg2 daily.
I've been advised that since the Clutch Master Cyl is original I should replace and bleed system.... Pretty sure we all know that will have ZERO effect on slipping.
Guess I'm now using my suspension budget for the clutch. FML!