Emissions testing around Atlanta, GA

kilt88

Who can talk with me from experience around emissions testing in the Atlanta north and northeast suburbs?

I'm moving there, and need to make sure I understand the Georgia process. I'm redoing my st185 now, and should probably plan some of these things.

Thanks,
Josh

kilt88

I will likely be in Gwinnett. I am interested in the finer points of the inspection, such as which emission components they are looking for. Do they allow vehicles built for e85? Do they allow engine swaps? Do they put all wheel drive cars on a dyno?

msanders2

Honestly I'm not too sure. I live in the country so we font have to have emissions. I know it's not as crazy as Comifornia though. I'm pretty sure you can have engine swaps, e85 etc. Not sure about the dyno but I doubt it. It's crazy hard to find anyone with a awd dyno for tuning so I doubt a emissions place would have it.

kilt88

msanders2":3sgf1v2h said:
Honestly I'm not too sure. I live in the country so we font have to have emissions. I know it's not as crazy as Comifornia though. I'm pretty sure you can have engine swaps, e85 etc. Not sure about the dyno but I doubt it. It's crazy hard to find anyone with a awd dyno for tuning so I doubt a emissions place would have it.
ok thanks

GT4_DRED

I'm in Bartow county and fortunately we have no emissions. I do have a few friends with built cars in Gwinnett, so I'll ask around over the weekend and reply back.

A bit off topic.. How do you like the SMC on your car? I'm looking at picking up a SM2 from one of the local guys for my '88.

kilt88

GT4_DRED":23o23rok said:
I'm in Bartow county and fortunately we have no emissions. I do have a few friends with built cars in Gwinnett, so I'll ask around over the weekend and reply back.

A bit off topic.. How do you like the SMC on your car? I'm looking at picking up a SM2 from one of the local guys for my '88.
Sweet -- thank you. I'd love to talk with them.

The SMC is absolutely amazing -- it's like everyone says -- it transforms your car. If I had to buy new, though, I'd go with Vipec or a new Polish standalone maker, whose name eludes me at the moment. But at the right price, the SM2 is sweet.

gt4rcdude

I live in Gwinnett. You have to have a catalytic converter and they will inspect for that. They won't look for anything under the hood. Usually they 2 wheel dyno NON-obd2 cars but they can't on the alltrac so they just do an idle test and a 2500 rpm test. Looking for high Nox and CO. I have a 3 inch exhaust and a free flow cat and I always pass. Oh and they'll test the gas cap. Easy peasy.

etantshi

gt4rcdude":1dcpking said:
I live in Gwinnett. You have to have a catalytic converter and they will inspect for that. They won't look for anything under the hood. Usually they 2 wheel dyno NON-obd2 cars but they can't on the alltrac so they just do an idle test and a 2500 rpm test. Looking for high Nox and CO. I have a 3 inch exhaust and a free flow cat and I always pass. Oh and they'll test the gas cap. Easy peasy.

Same procedure for Cobb County FYI.

GT4times2

etantshi":11y9rx1x said:
gt4rcdude":11y9rx1x said:

HA!!! Andre!! Where have you been? Are you in Cobb County? Long time no hear. How are the projects coming along?

etantshi

GT4times2":3bzhijss said:
etantshi":3bzhijss said:
gt4rcdude":3bzhijss said:

HA!!! Andre!! Where have you been? Are you in Cobb County? Long time no hear. How are the projects coming along?

Ha ha ha been good! Project has been at a virtual standstill. Passion is still there, just no time with academic and family obligation. Soon though, I will have more of an opportunity to work on it. You?

GT4times2

I'm Ok. Here and there, I work on the toys when I have time. 2 out of 3 are almost done. Gone are the days of wanting a crazy high hp All-Trac ( tired of garage queens). It's more fun to have reliable and driving cars (3rd and 4th gen swaps :wink: ). I'm not getting any younger. I want to enjoy the toys a bit more.