Pretty Sure I have A Unicorn

alltracman78

Last week I picked up a transmission from a friend of mine that we thought had a front/center LSD, most likely TRD.
He had it in his Alltrac [which has been sold]; it was making unusual noises, so I don't know if it's any good or if it just needed LSD additive in the fluid. It does say bad on the transfer case. But he put some miles on it, so it's not completely trashed.
I took it partially apart this afternoon and confirmed it's some type of front/center LSD.
I doubt I'll get it all torn down today and I can't put it in the car and drive any time soon [selling my house/moving].

Pics

kevzep

Amazing, it does indeed look like a TRD, as I understand it, that was the only front/centre option for the GT4.

Any more pics of the front diff or have you not pulled it out?

Is there a problem with it?

alltracman78

That's all I've got for now; all my specialized automotive tools are packed away right now [haven't worked on cars in 5 years] and tearing the transmission apart requires more than wrenches and sockets.

I'm really really curious about this and I want to dig into it, so if I get a chance I'll tear it apart soon. But I don't know if I'm going to get a chance til March or so.

I think [and hope] worst case the discs are worn out. Best case it's still good. I don't see any chunks, the bearings spin fine, no noises when I spin the diffs.

CMS-GT4

Now that is a find. Did you see any visual indicators of it being different from the factory diff when the driveshaft was pulled?

alltracman78

A friend of mine bought an Alltrac that had a JDM engine/trans swapped into it.
After driving it he suspected it had an LSD in the front but he didn't know if it was working properly because it was making clunking noises [I'm guessing it needed LSD additive].
He ended up getting rid of the car after tearing it all apart so I picked up the transmission from him with the hope that the diffs were either good or fixable. I think it's also a close ratio trans from a JDM narrow body Group A?

Josh, I didn't check that yet, I was eager to confirm that it was ok so I tore apart the transfer case as soon as I got it. I have to dig out my transmission tools to tear the transmission apart and make sure there's no visible damage.
I don't have any torque specs for the inside and I'm not going to tear it apart til I get some idea of that. Because Kaaz stated that their internals are the same for all diffs I'm hoping I can get generic information from them [I highly doubt I'll be able to find any original documentation for it].
Hopefully when I move into my new house I'll be able to mess with this. I'm considering just sticking it in the car as is and trying it out. But the car won't get driven til after the first good rain next spring [to wash away the road salt].

I'll do my best to update any info; I know some of you [as well as I] are very curious about this.