RHD in Ontario, Canada?

camry90

I have a GT four RC plated in Quebec and i amd moving to Ontario. How would it work for a Rhd car? Can it be exampted from inspection if it's more than 25 years old? And how much is insurance on average? I have a clean driving record

klue

insruance is pricey most companies dont take RHD. if you have another daily driver you can insure it as a classic car. You will probably need an inspection and emissions test both of which are easy to pass if your car is in good shape

camry90

Is it difficult to plate it as classic? Am i exampted from anything if inplate it classic? I have an other daily driver.
Which company do you guys insure to? I call belairdirect and lapersonnelle, they both don't do it :(

klue

camry90":2st5gqqz said:
Is it difficult to plate it as classic? Am i exampted from anything if inplate it classic? I have an other daily driver.
Which company do you guys insure to? I call belairdirect and lapersonnelle, they both don't do it :(

silver wheel and hagerty do classics.

To plate it is just like a normal car. I think they require yearly safety checks

camry90

klue":1fjklv6h said:
camry90":1fjklv6h said:

silver wheel and hagerty do classics.

To plate it is just like a normal car. I think they require yearly safety checks
glad you replied. i was just about to facebook you. i've moved from montreal to Borden. hope to pass by your shop one day :D

Locker

it is the best patio in Barrie.
Hopefully my car will be back on the road this summer. There is a meet every wednesday down at the water front. Mostly Muscle cars but a few imports here and there.

Brad_91

Hey, Love the car!

I am insured in Ottawa with my JDM '92 GT-Four, and I am just turning 25. I have been paying ~$220 per month as a young male (First car as well).
I believe I am with State Farm, or whoever recently bought them out (Forget the new name).

I've heard some horror stories from friends trying to find a good insurance quote, but if you have a clean record and other cars etc, I doubt you'll have too many issues.

Look forward to seeing your car sometime! I have not seen a GT-Four RC edition in real life before :notworthy:

Probably the only car I'd trade mine for: a real RC version :D

camry90

Brad_91":143r93og said:
Hey, Love the car!

I am insured in Ottawa with my JDM '92 GT-Four, and I am just turning 25. I have been paying ~$220 per month as a young male (First car as well).
I believe I am with State Farm, or whoever recently bought them out (Forget the new name).

I've heard some horror stories from friends trying to find a good insurance quote, but if you have a clean record and other cars etc, I doubt you'll have too many issues.

Look forward to seeing your car sometime! I have not seen a GT-Four RC edition in real life before :notworthy:

Probably the only car I'd trade mine for: a real RC version :D

thanks for replying
i don't get why they are giving a hard time to insure a car that is leagal in canada. i will look into it. thanks.
i got quoted 134$/month for my G37x and i can't afford to plate and insure 2 cars at the same time right now.

Jeebus

I tried to purchase a '94 GT-Four in Ottawa a few years ago, but could not get it insured despite my 10+ years of clean driving. I tried to get my dad to buy it (35+ years of clean driving), and still could not get any insurance.

Seems like they're really clamping down on RHD cars over there, and it seems to stem from a report by ICBC claiming higher accident rates. Funny thing is, in BC, ICBC allows RHD cars no problem so long as it follows the proper import laws.

I ended up purchasing my GT-Four in Calgary and drove it back to BC. I still wish I'd been able to buy it in Ontario and driven it across the country though.

underscore

I remember looking into that ICBC report and figuring out it was complete crap. It doesn't help the stats when ICBC more easily writes off JDM cars as well.

Brad_91":3cqapkax said:

That's brutal, the next time I hear someone complain about ICBC I'll tell them this. I'm about the same age but I was paying something like $130/month for my RC.

camry90

Brad_91":274c57v7 said:
Hey, Love the car!

I believe I am with State Farm,

state farm just said they don't do that no more :(

athousandleaves

Hagerty won't touch any RHD cars until they're +25 yrs old.

https://www.hagerty.ca/insurance/classic-car-insurance/does-my-vehicle-qualify

1991 is presently the 'newest' year you can register.

You can thank the scumbags at UCDA for RHD insurance being so damn difficult to get in Ontario... oh and also the kiddies that got skylines and did nothing but race on the 400-series roads while driving under hagerty. :bangshead: They used to do any RHD car if it was within the 14-yr import ban.

Some agents will write you a RHD policy and give you facility rates (+$200/mo) if you have multiple other items insured with them; house, car, life, dog, RV, etc.

athousandleaves

From what I can recall UCDA/TADA/CADA lobbied VERY HEAVILY against the continued registration and importing of used RHD cars into the province and manipulated insurance companies into believing that RHD vehicles are unsafe.

Basically they shit the bed because they thought it would have cut into their sales of used cars and they were too lazy to bother getting on board and importing cars to sell on their lots.

http://www.tada.ca/Older-right-hand-drive-vehicles-should-be-banned-from-Canadian-roads

Locker

Interesting read....

This is purely a technicality but it wasn't the UCDA (used car dealers association) that was upset... they make money selling RHD cars. It was the TADA/CADA (Toronto Auto Dealers & Canadian Auto Dealers) This lobby group represents new car dealerships that was trying to get them off the road.

athousandleaves

Yeah it was ~6yrs ago when I read most of this stuff, I may have mixed in the BC used car dealer association with Ontario because they were undergoing a similar fight. Sean from Zen Autoworks was leading the fight out there and was interviewed on the CBC or CTV about it.

Locker

although I love all the RHD cars and they should be Insurable they also should charged a premium price. I've driven a couple and IMO are at a much greater risk of causing accidents than the same car in LHD due to the lack of proper visibility.